Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leaf Blower Assisted Rescue

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dasypodidae View Post
    I have used a hedge rake for leaf removal in the water bar drainages and a couple meters above each on Mount Moosilauke’s Glencliff Trail for the past 25 years, but hiker beware of stretches in between the 210 water bars right now. Last Saturday’s effort was my swan song, as I gave notice to DOC.
    Thank you for your long time dedication.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Thanks for doing a great job over the years That is one trail that gets a lot of use.
    Last edited by peakbagger; 11-11-2022 at 03:42 PM.

Blower noise

They emit a noise at a decibel range that pierces into a man's brain, causing great distress. It's a terrible droning noise that penetrates deeper into the brain than any other power tool. A noise that makes a man want to hurt, nay kill the perpetrator. This is the time of year when I glare out the window at my neighbors as they fruitless blow leaves from one place to another. They don't realize the disdain I hold for them. But I know...

Maybe you have misophonia? For many individuals, itís a strong aversion to the noise of other people eating food near them, or even other people breathing. Some people describe the feeling they get as intense hatred, almost to the point of barely being able to control themselves from doing violent harm to stop it. Just ask my wife. 😀

But for any particular person, the triggers can be any type of sound.
    It's a lot like fun, but different.

Call me old fashioned, but...

I long for the good old days when the air was blue with burning piles of leaves. Much more enjoyable smell than the blue air of two-stroke leaf blowers.
    Don't let your mind write a check your body canít cash

California has banned two stroke engines for yard equipment and other states will eventually follow. Landscapers are not very happy about it. The electric units still make a lot of noise but less than two strokes. The economics are already tipped towards electric, two strokes are not very efficient and with gas in excess of $6 a gallon, its cheaper to charge batteries off peak.

CA has banned the sale of 2 strokes, not the operation of them. Law goes into effect mid 2024. For the amount of money that they have spent on their high speed rail system that goes nowhere, they could have bought everyone in the state an electric leaf blower and a lifetime of batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Maybe you have misophonia? For many individuals, it’s a strong aversion to the noise of other people eating food near them, or even other people breathing. Some people describe the feeling they get as intense hatred, almost to the point of barely being able to control themselves from doing violent harm to stop it. Just ask my wife. ��

But for any particular person, the triggers can be any type of sound.
    This may be. When I hear that terrible sound, I want to beat the perpetrator badly about the head and shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    California has banned two stroke engines for yard equipment and other states will eventually follow. Landscapers are not very happy about it. The electric units still make a lot of noise but less than two strokes. The economics are already tipped towards electric, two strokes are not very efficient and with gas in excess of $6 a gallon, its cheaper to charge batteries off peak.
    Cleaner air for the environment but your audiologist bill will probably go up too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVBG41hxhT4
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Years of working in papermills and power plants trained me to use hearing protection including around the house. It takes a while to get used to putting it in but eventually if become routine.

Turn Around Due to Leaves

I tried to go up to the South Taconic Range from the New York Side, but way south of the trail to Alander Cabin, more the latitude of Mt Frissell. Think of going up Owlhead on ice in sneakers--- had to turn around

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Years of working in papermills and power plants trained me to use hearing protection including around the house. It takes a while to get used to putting it in but eventually if become routine.
    Ditto. That goes without saying. The electric noise wise IMO is worse than the gasoline version of a leaf blower. Maybe working on taking it at the pipe should be part of the scheme.