Rescue on 19-year old on Alqonquin

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They started out at 12:30PM to do Wright, Algonquin, Boundary and Iroquois:eek: What could possibly go wrong? He is lucky that the area is close to the LOJ and also the Interior Outpost near Lake Colden so Ranger access is less complicated, I would think. I thought that there was a regulation in the Adirondacks mandating snowshoes once there is so much snow on the ground. Maybe there wasn't enough at the LOJ to warrant them?

Last edited:
Thankfully, because God loves idiots, (I've been the idiot on several occasions too.) he is still alive. The late start, poor gear (micros on Algonquin is a stretch even IMO) a friend who turned around, apparently no map as the Loj is the best exit. Unsure what their experience was, only 19 so even if Dad or scouts dragged him out a lot, most of his younger years likely weren't planning, just following. Maybe they were winter warriors, although the clothing and lack of micro's would seem to indicate otherwise. The State should fine him either lots of money or mandatory enrolment in the ADK's Winter Skills Class. (Similar to the AMC Winter Skills Course)

Thankfully, because God loves idiots, (I've been the idiot on several occasions too.) he is still alive. The late start, poor gear (micros on Algonquin is a stretch even IMO) a friend who turned around, apparently no map as the Loj is the best exit. Unsure what their experience was, only 19 so even if Dad or scouts dragged him out a lot, most of his younger years likely weren't planning, just following. Maybe they were winter warriors, although the clothing and lack of micro's would seem to indicate otherwise. The State should fine him either lots of money or mandatory enrolment in the ADK's Winter Skills Class. (Similar to the AMC Winter Skills Course)

The State of NY and the hiker put out a youtube video on this. The soles on the boots are worn almost flat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfAiq7qi1M8