Bond/Zealand Traverse - December 28, 2022

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhody Seth

Reaction score
I accompanied my friend Chris on a Bond/Zealand traverse last week to complete his Winter 48. Temps were warm throughout (though it dropped into the teens on Guyot). Spikes served us well from Lincoln Woods until about a mile from the Bondcliff summit and after that we relied on snowshoes until the Zealand Falls Hut. There were only partial views from Bondcliff and after that we were in the clouds until we reached Zeacliff which had lovely views of clouds woven in amongst the peaks. Some poor bastard had done the traverse by himself in the reverse, postholing frequently. For the most part this wasn't an issue but the stretch of trail from Zealand to the hut was particularly bad. The descent from Zeacliff was aggravating with the postholing and narrowness of the trail.

We spent almost 30 minutes at the Zealand Falls hut, resting and prepping for the final six mile push out. The initial trail leaving the hut was incredibly even worse. Someone has tracked out snowshoes but then all the barebooters decided to step within those holes, making for ridiculous snowshoe sized postholes that you almost had no choice but to step into. Felt like I was doing some kind of tire hopping exercise. Past the bridges the trail got better and the road section was great as they had plowed it recently to reach the town water supply.

It took us 12.5 hours, starting and ending in the dark. A long tough day and I was worn out by the end but a satisfying hike and I'm glad I was able to assist Chris with completing his Winter 48!

Great video as always. Congrats to your buddy on the Winter 48. Those mini snowshoes are interesting! Looking forward to the next one.

Your video, as usual, was great. That's sure a lot of hiking in the dark.:)

Another great video TR. Made me feel like I was hiking right beside you. Love that view from Zeacliff. Congrats to Chris on finishing his set.
Seth, I have to ask, what's up with the beard? How long has that been growing? Does it keep your neck warm or is it an ice collector? Any goal to reach before cutting/shaving?

Seth, I have to ask, what's up with the beard? How long has that been growing? Does it keep your neck warm or is it an ice collector? Any goal to reach before cutting/shaving?

It doesn't do much in the way of warmth and doesn't collect a whole lot of ice unless it's really snowing. It's been 5.5 years since I started growing it but it definitely reached diminishing returns a while ago. In fact, I took off about four inches at the beginning of December as it was becoming a pain in the ass. When you roll over in your sleep and your head is pinned to your shoulder because you are sleeping on your beard, you know your beard's too long.

Ha, ha, ha, Grey J is like the Kramer character on Seinfeld, willing to say what everyone is unwilling. :).

I actually noticed that Rhody had trimmed his beard between videos at some point between recent trips. Please keep these videos coming, Rhody, as I am living vicariously these days with a bum knee while watching your videos of the places that I would normally be.

Thanks Seth. Yeah, when it interferes with sleep, action is definitely required, but you can't shave it now, it's your signature. Love the videos.