The Convergence Of The Cell Phone And Satellite Messengers/ GPS Continues

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More advances in cell phone technology. Qualcomm's chip will use the Iridium network for SMS texting. Dedicated GPS units and PLB's could fade into history in a few years as technology advances....

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...better-satellite-messaging-system-than-apple/

Thanks for posting. I'll be following this. Don't know if I would jump on this as a first-generation technology but this could evolve into something. It would also be nice if the hardware evolved along with this to some sort of weather proofing like a dedicated GPS, PLB, or Handheld HAM radio. I don't think you will see GPS and PLB's fade away into history for all users. IMO there will always be a need for dedicated devices just because of that. Dedicated tasking. Especially with a PLB that runs on a way lower current draw than any Cell Phone will ever.

Thanks for posting. I'll be following this. Don't know if I would jump on this as a first-generation technology but this could evolve into something. It would also be nice if the hardware evolved along with this to some sort of weather proofing like a dedicated GPS, PLB, or Handheld HAM radio. I don't think you will see GPS and PLB's fade away into history for all users. IMO there will always be a need for dedicated devices just because of that. Dedicated tasking. Especially with a PLB that runs on a way lower current draw than any Cell Phone will ever.

It'll take a few years but eventually a cell phone will be as good or better than all of these devices combined in terms of features, performance and reliability. The issue of redundancy is something I thought of as well though. It would be fantastic and convenient to have a do-it-all gadget for all this stuff - until it fails.

I'm also curious what will happen to cell phone bills as this emerges and the load on the satellite network increases. InReach, Zoleo, Spot and others charge a pretty fair amount of $$$ for their satellites services. I doubt they'll be willing to go quietly. May benefit users in the short term with lower monthly rates while the competition works itself out.

It'll take a few years but eventually a cell phone will be as good or better than all of these devices combined in terms of features, performance and reliability. The issue of redundancy is something I thought of as well though. It would be fantastic and convenient to have a do-it-all gadget for all this stuff - until it fails.

I'm also curious what will happen to cell phone bills as this emerges and the load on the satellite network increases. InReach, Zoleo, Spot and others charge a pretty fair amount of $$$ for their satellites services. I doubt they'll be willing to go quietly. May benefit users in the short term with lower monthly rates while the competition works itself out.
That’s one of the benefits of Ham Radio. Once you have the hardware there are no user fees. Many people don’t understand that Ham Radio is redundant already within one device including digital modes and the technology is current. GPS is available using the Iridium network and has been for some time. Which intern provides beacon tracking in real-time. SMS texting with preset messages has been in existence for quite sometime. Weather reporting again in real-time is also another benefit. Also Voice communication is very good through an extensive repeater network. Also not to mention it is also weather proof hardware and power reduction features for battery conservation.Also the battery’s are hot swap able with a very limited if any need for any external charger, although solar is an option. I could go on and on. But the problem is most folks don't want to go through the learning of the knowledge base to become licensed. Yet another example of the short attention span of the point and click generation that want instant gratification.

That’s one of the benefits of Ham Radio. Once you have the hardware there are no user fees. Many people don’t understand that Ham Radio is redundant already within one device including digital modes and the technology is current. GPS is available using the Iridium network and has been for some time. Which intern provides beacon tracking in real-time. SMS texting with preset messages has been in existence for quite sometime. Weather reporting again in real-time is also another benefit. Also Voice communication is very good through an extensive repeater network. Also not to mention it is also weather proof hardware and power reduction features for battery conservation.Also the battery’s are hot swap able with a very limited if any need for any external charger, although solar is an option. I could go on and on. But the problem is most folks don't want to go through the learning of the knowledge base to become licensed. Yet another example of the short attention span of the point and click generation that want instant gratification.

I know next to nothing about HAM radio. This Fall I bought a set of walkie-talkies for my wife and I when we camp in areas with no cell service like Baxter and several of the reviews I read while researching mentioned some models that required a HAM operator's license to legally use. Is that essentially what a HAM radio is? A walkie talkie on steroids? Was curious about the distinction.

I am curious about whether you'll be able to access any repeaters while you are in the lower parts of the Pemi.

Interesting. As I understand it, Ham radio is a dying hobby where the old guard is not being replaced by a younger cohort.

RE satellites: I think we will eventually see an Apple or Verizon satellite network.

I am curious about whether you'll be able to access any repeaters while you are in the lower parts of the Pemi.

That is a good question. If not my guess would be no cellular also. Satellite acquisition maybe possible though. Ham radios can also be operated in what is called Simplex. Which is basically point to point contact between two operators. That would potentially be possible in the Pemi.

Last edited:
I know next to nothing about HAM radio. This Fall I bought a set of walkie-talkies for my wife and I when we camp in areas with no cell service like Baxter and several of the reviews I read while researching mentioned some models that required a HAM operator's license to legally use. Is that essentially what a HAM radio is? A walkie talkie on steroids? Was curious about the distinction.

My guess is you are probably operating a GMRS Radio which can be a useful tool. To answer your question about a walkie talkie on steroids, yes that would be a good analogy. Yes you do need a license which does take some studying, but the pass rate is high. Ham Radio licensing consists of three levels. To operate in the manner that I have been referring you only need the entry level license which is called "Technician". Here is a link that may be helpful.

http://www.arrl.org/getting-licensed

Ham Radio is technical but not incomprehensible. It is widely misunderstood by many. But one of the main pillars of Ham Radio is that it does not operate on 120 Volt home current. it operates on 13.8 volts DC. Which means that a Ham Radio will operate on a well charged Car Battery. So thence another good reason to be an operator is not just for Hiking and being outdoors, but it is very handy when the lights go out at home. The same radio you would take on a hike could not only save your arse in the woods but it might do the same thing in your own backyard. For instance, the major snowstorm we had a few weeks ago not only knock out power for multiple days, but cell towers were down too not to mention the internet. The only point to point effective communication was via Ham Radio. https://youtu.be/DMF0SVUdxow

Be aware the above video displays the upper crust of Ham Radio operators. To effectively accomplish what I have described above one does not need to take it to the level these guys have. The correct handheld for field use with maybe a simple booster antenna for home-based operation is all that is needed. One can easily set them selves up for easily less than half the cost of a the latest greatest cell phone.

Interesting. Hobby picked up about 100,000 participants in last 25 years. Roughly 4,000 per year for a growth rate of less than 1% per year. Not good. (As always please check my math.)

With numbers like that we better hope the League fights like hell to retain all our freq allocations, especially in the UHF bands!

By the way -- Newbies no longer need a station of their own. I've used Remote Ham Radio on and off since its inception. Very easy to run a BIG remote HF station from within Safari. These guys have really nailed the remote thing. But you pay to play: $99 a year plus airtime. Running one of their big stations can get expensive quickly at 99 cents a minute. But if you want a full size four square on 160 or two element beam on 80, what's a ham gonna do but shell out the dough.

Last edited:
My guess is you are probably operating a GMRS Radio which can be a useful tool. To answer your question about a walkie talkie on steroids, yes that would be a good analogy. Yes you do need a license which does take some studying, but the pass rate is high. Ham Radio licensing consists of three levels. To operate in the manner that I have been referring you only need the entry level license which is called "Technician". Here is a link that may be helpful.

http://www.arrl.org/getting-licensed

Ham Radio is technical but not incomprehensible. It is widely misunderstood by many. But one of the main pillars of Ham Radio is that it does not operate on 120 Volt home current. it operates on 13.8 volts DC. Which means that a Ham Radio will operate on a well charged Car Battery. So thence another good reason to be an operator is not just for Hiking and being outdoors, but it is very handy when the lights go out at home. The same radio you would take on a hike could not only save your arse in the woods but it might do the same thing in your own backyard. For instance, the major snowstorm we had a few weeks ago not only knock out power for multiple days, but cell towers were down too not to mention the internet. The only point to point effective communication was via Ham Radio. https://youtu.be/DMF0SVUdxow

Be aware the above video displays the upper crust of Ham Radio operators. To effectively accomplish what I have described above one does not need to take it to the level these guys have. The correct handheld for field use with maybe a simple booster antenna for home-based operation is all that is needed. One can easily set them selves up for easily less than half the cost of a the latest greatest cell phone.

Cool. Thanks for the info. I'll look into this more.

Interesting. Hobby picked up about 100,000 participants in last 25 years. Roughly 4,000 per year for a growth rate of less than 1% per year. Not good.

We better hope the League fights like hell to retain all our freq allocations, especially in the UHF bands!

All another good reason for you to get your license so you can come out and fight with us. Not good is a matter of perspective. Let me know how you make out the next time a hurricane comes up the coast and wipes power out for a week.:D

Just edited my post. Sorry it sounds like you have your license. So why the skepticism?
Ham Radio Remote is pretty kool. I’ve use it. All I’m talking about here is basic VHF operation as a redundant tool.I use my HT as a primary in the woods but the thing is I carry a Cell also. Have you checked out https://aprs.fi/#!lat=44.0677&lng=-71.0732 ??

Last edited:

Back when I would backpack solo, I used to bring an aircraft band handi-talki. Figured if in dire straits I should be able to hit an airliner at altitude and get a message through that way. Probably not legal, since the radio license belonged to the airplane not the transmitter, but I figured in an emergency, I would probably be forgiven, and if not, still happy to pay the fine if rescued. Fortunately, never needed to.

TomK

...it sounds like you have your license. So why the skepticism?...

Yup, I've been licensed since I was a kid (vacuum tube era.) :)

I think the magic and excitement of distant radio communications was totally ruined by the Internet and World Wide Web. For a while I thought the removal of the CW (Morse code) requirement would open the flood gates. But that really never happened, to my disappointment.

In 1980 I wrote an article for 73 Mag in Peterborough where I carried a 2m HT on an attempted solo Winter Pressi Traverse. The temp dropped to -20 and I didn't get very far, but I was able to check in with my coworkers at 73 using the Mt Wash repeater (we could hit from our offices in Peterborough with an 11 element beam).

You are right. A ham radio can be a good backup for cell in much of the Whites.

Back to OP, Wall Street Journal also had an article on this partnership between Qualcomm & Iridium, and supposedly the new technology will be named "Snapdragon Satellite." The interesting twist on this is that Garmin will administer Snapdragon Satellite emergency functions according to that article.

I have had Spot Gen 3 for several years before I switched to inReach Mini. My experience with Spot wasn't great (at least initially, although it seemed to have improved a bit over time) while inReach Mini seems to have been working fine right from the start. Spot uses Globalstar which will be utilized by iPhone, while inReach uses Iridium. I guess time will tell if the level of service and reliability will be comparable.

Yup, I've been licensed since I was a kid (vacuum tube era.) :)

I think the magic and excitement of distant radio communications was totally ruined by the Internet and World Wide Web. For a while I thought the removal of the CW (Morse code) requirement would open the flood gates. But that really never happened, to my disappointment.

In 1980 I wrote an article for 73 Mag in Peterborough where I carried a 2m HT on an attempted solo Winter Pressi Traverse. The temp dropped to -20 and I didn't get very far, but I was able to check in with my coworkers at 73 using the Mt Wash repeater (we could hit from our offices in Peterborough with an 11 element beam).

You are right. A ham radio can be a good backup for cell in much of the Whites.

I'm sorry I had forgotten that you were a HAM from previous posts. Very interesting stuff. Especially about the 73 Mag article. The Mount Washington Repeater is quite active and has gone through some upgrades. A new antenna will be going up when the weather permits. I kind of took an opposite course with HAM Radio. I played around with 11 meter as a kid with a couple of neighborhood friends growing up. My best friend stuck with the hobby now almost 50 years later while I did not. Although after years of my best friend and others encouraging me, I got fully licensed about ten years ago. I like the challenge, the knowledge base, and the functionality of the hobby as it dove tails well with my rural location. IMO the hardware is much more functional from an ergonomic standpoint compared to a Cell Phone in the outdoors. Touch screen technology especially in bad weather does not compare to a fully waterproof and a push to talk device. Although the radio I am using does have some touch screen operations it can all be done and locked in advance. My Handheld is fully submersible. It can be kept close to the body, kept warm and dry, and operated by a remote microphone. Not to mention wearing heavy gloves I can still operate the unit. Not to mention I can see the operating screen rather than dealing with trying to position a cell phone screen which is always subject to glare outdoors. Cell phones have a way to go IMO to be fully operable in outdoors. Yes, my cell phone is a good back up to my handheld Ham Radio.

Last edited:
I'm sorry I had forgotten that you were a HAM from previous posts. Very interesting stuff. Especially about the 73 Mag article. The Mount Washington Repeater is quite active and has gone through some upgrades. A new antenna will be going up when the weather permits. I kind of took an opposite course with HAM Radio. I played around with 11 meter as a kid with a couple of neighborhood friends growing up. My best friend stuck with the hobby now almost 50 years later while I did not. Although after years of my best friend and others encouraging me, I got fully licensed about ten years ago. I like the challenge, the knowledge base, and the functionality of the hobby as it dove tails well with my rural location. IMO the hardware is much more functional from an ergonomic standpoint compared to a Cell Phone in the outdoors. Touch screen technology especially in bad weather does not compare to a fully waterproof and a push to talk device. My Handheld is fully submersible. It can be kept close to the body, kept warm and dry, and operated by a remote microphone. Not to mention wearing heavy gloves I can still operate the unit. Not to mention I can see the operating screen rather than dealing with trying to position a cell phone screen which is always subject to glare outdoors. Cell phones have a way to go IMO to be fully operable in outdoors. Yes, my cell phone is a good back up to my handheld Ham Radio.

What brand/model hand held device to you have?