Cog Winter runs to Waumbek Station

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.unionleader.com/nh/outd...cle_10d1836c-d34c-5db8-baa0-98ca5b341039.html

A large loading and unloading platform was built this summer. They had done runs in the past but claimed there had been a couple of injuries related to the lack of plartform. There are also some "warming huts" at the new station.

Those three leanto’s with heaters in the corners and a fire pit outside have been there for a few winters. I did not realize that there had been accidents on the old platform.

My friend said he was hiking down along the Cog last winter and came upon that station. No one there as the cog was still down below but there were several firepits burning. He had a nice rest and warmed up. :p

My friend said he was hiking down along the Cog last winter and came upon that station. No one there as the cog was still down below but there were several firepits burning. He had a nice rest and warmed up. :p
Wait until they open the new Hotel. The cold beers are gonna taste pretty good on a hot July afternoon.

Wait until they open the new Hotel. The cold beers are gonna taste pretty good on a hot July afternoon.

I sincerely hope they do. For all those AMC hut lovers out there and their mindless rants about the Cog hotel, it would be poetic justice on a grand scale. Hell, I'll even stay the night there, (if it's dog friendly,lol).

The Cog has been a foul weather alternative for years . Knew some folks who got caught up on a windy day, they cut over to the cog and held onto it when they could, otherwise the wind would blow and catch them and throw them a good distance. The cog owner was quite insistent at the permitting hearing that the warming huts and outhouses were for anyone passing through. Of course I think they now charge for recreation pass to be purchased prior to entering their property so not sure how that works for people heading down. Not sure if anyone has done any overnight camping up there yet (that have admitted it). If the cog supplies the wood it may be nice option;)

Last edited:
I took the train to the warming hut a few weeks ago. A real first class job on building them. What a first class design on them. Only Presby has the style to do this. Others should take heed on his work. The old Cog rails as stairway railings. And other things down to the Cogged cookies they have there . Amazing.

I took the train to the warming hut a few weeks ago. A real first class job on building them. What a first class design on them. Only Presby has the style to do this. Others should take heed on his work. The old Cog rails as stairway railings. And other things down to the Cogged cookies they have there . Amazing.

For shure. North Country pride and craftsmanship. They really do a good job presenting historical relevance and putting forth their style. I have appreciated it greatly myself.

For shure. North Country pride and craftsmanship. They really do a good job presenting historical relevance and putting forth their style. I have appreciated it greatly myself.

All done in house or locally sourced like the powder coating of the new diesel cabs done at Goodins in Whitefield and much more. They're building another new Diesel as well. Converting the coaches to air ride on and on. Presby has taken it to a level not seen since Sylvester Marsh had his vision. Not only with the ride to the summit but the machinery and space to maintain the railroad not to mention finally being able to clean up the very old timbers along the track which was not possible before Presby.
It's so nice to see something cleaned up here instead of business's,farms rotting away etc over these past years.

All done in house or locally sourced like the powder coating of the new diesel cabs done at Goodins in Whitefield and much more. They're building another new Diesel as well. Converting the coaches to air ride on and on. Presby has taken it to a level not seen since Sylvester Marsh had his vision. Not only with the ride to the summit but the machinery and space to maintain the railroad not to mention finally being able to clean up the very old timbers along the track which was not possible before Presby.
It's so nice to see something cleaned up here instead of business's,farms rotting away etc over these past years.

You state this very well and this is the source of my anger in many hiking groups. The hiking community has a thorn in their side for the Cog and to be honest, many of these so called hikers, have little stake in the North country. They are new to it and take this ridiculous Theory of LNT to a level that makes no sense whatsoever. They love the AMC huts, built in pristine alpine tundra by the way, yet the Cog, which predates the AMC by years and years is a villain. Tourism is gold in NH and the Cog has set the bar for years and provided thousands of people the thrill of seeing the alpine country we all take for granted. I took my mom up that train, she's gone now, but I still remember how much fun we had that day. All those years of me talking about the terrain up there and she got to see it. Think of everything that has come and gone since the 1800's and the Cog is still there, How people cannot appreciate that is beyond me. The modern-day hiker is a selfish, self-centered, know it all that has little to no basic understanding of the Whites and its history. Drives me nuts. That's ok, I can relate to the Cog, I've been hiking up there long before many of them and I'll be hiking up there, long after many of them.

You state this very well and this is the source of my anger in many hiking groups. The hiking community has a thorn in their side for the Cog and to be honest, many of these so called hikers, have little stake in the North country. They are new to it and take this ridiculous Theory of LNT to a level that makes no sense whatsoever. They love the AMC huts, built in pristine alpine tundra by the way, yet the Cog, which predates the AMC by years and years is a villain. Tourism is gold in NH and the Cog has set the bar for years and provided thousands of people the thrill of seeing the alpine country we all take for granted. I took my mom up that train, she's gone now, but I still remember how much fun we had that day. All those years of me talking about the terrain up there and she got to see it. Think of everything that has come and gone since the 1800's and the Cog is still there, How people cannot appreciate that is beyond me. The modern-day hiker is a selfish, self-centered, know it all that has little to no basic understanding of the Whites and its history. Drives me nuts. That's ok, I can relate to the Cog, I've been hiking up there long before many of them and I'll be hiking up there, long after many of them.

Amen to that. I also add that the Auto Road has and receives no sham even though they just finished paving the road to the top.

Amen. I went thru similar situations I believe on Cape Cod my home most of my life. And what hit the closest was our local access to the water way near my home. A boat launch built back early 1900's paved by the state early 1960's. Many other access places for beach goer's as well in town took hits from out of towners and new bee landowners just moved in. They wanted to shut the launches down or the rights to the beaches near their homes. One Quohog farmer had rights to his farm in front (out deep) of his home. Being new bee from the citie and rich bought waterfront and then complained about the Quohog farmer and wanted him gone. Pretty selfess and totally not what our town needed. I vowed then I would never be ignorant or selfess with resources. Like the moto says "Land of many uses"
And i know many Coggers who got crap from hikers and to this day and will not thank them for ackknowledge what they've done or will do. I've been camping and hiking all across the USA and New England since I was a young man. And I agree I'll be there after many are gone and so will the Cog be there pleasing so many folks in many ways and giving NH a type of business it needs.

Amen. I went thru similar situations I believe on Cape Cod my home most of my life. And what hit the closest was our local access to the water way near my home. A boat launch built back early 1900's paved by the state early 1960's. Many other access places for beach goer's as well in town took hits from out of towners and new bee landowners just moved in. They wanted to shut the launches down or the rights to the beaches near their homes. One Quohog farmer had rights to his farm in front (out deep) of his home. Being new bee from the citie and rich bought waterfront and then complained about the Quohog farmer and wanted him gone. Pretty selfess and totally not what our town needed. I vowed then I would never be ignorant or selfess with resources. Like the moto says "Land of many uses"
And i know many Coggers who got crap from hikers and to this day and will not thank them for ackknowledge what they've done or will do. I've been camping and hiking all across the USA and New England since I was a young man. And I agree I'll be there after many are gone and so will the Cog be there pleasing so many folks in many ways and giving NH a type of business it needs.
I agree. Land of many uses. I always find it interesting about the mountain guiding community like the AMC’s dichotomous operations. They tramp all over the mountains including The Cog’s ROW while getting paid for their services and then they are some of the same folks to turn around and point a finger about the new hotel proposal. Then they’ll be the first to hop on at Waumbek station for a ride down when one of their clients breaks a leg.

The modern-day hiker is a selfish, self-centered, know it all that has little to no basic understanding of the Whites and its history.

Except for all of us. And so say all of us. :D

The cog did quick presentation at the Coos County planning board meeting on plans for Waumbek station. They are to supply grid power off the line to the summit for the station. They also are building a new small wood storage leanto. They plan to replace the temporary toilets with composting toilets. They also plan to install a mobile food and drink service facility. Snack, drinks and prepared foods similar to what they offer at the base station. None of it may require the planning board approval.

Last edited: