More on NH hikers and driver's licenses

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder what Burt Reynolds would have thought about all this "insurance" :D

Quote begins about 18 seconds into the clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iib4eMpESpc

Great clip, as I know lots of folks who are in agreement with Burt. But, it is Burt’s Scout that brings back fun memories from my summer working for a mineral exploration company in Maine, a decision that I would do over by continuing summer employment in the AMC huts instead. The company rented four Ford Broncos for us, but on one occasion my Bronco was in the shop, so the president of the company let us use his own Scout, which we managed to get high-centered on a large rock while trying to ford a wide river. The Scout floated about 50 yards downstream before it got hung up. A guy in a large 4WD pickup truck tried to winch us out, but he got stuck in the river also. It took a guy with a skidder to pull us both out, but by then the day was pretty much shot and we had few geochemical sediment samples to show for our efforts.

The Garmin SAR plan is only active when you are over 99 mile from home. I believe that the SPOT plan is active when you are over 150 miles from home or enter a another country. SPOT considers snowshoeing a hazardous sport when not done at a commercial operation.

So descending Polecat after hours would be covered? If you get hurt on Wildcat A, drag yourself to D before calling for help. (Twist knee hiking on Sunday, limp to work and fall in the lobby on Monday and collect WC... That's fraud, don't do that)

If you are hiking on the ski area during ski season, in theory you have bought a pass and therefore are under the care custody and control of the ski area. The original policy was that hikers entering the ski are from the summit were supposed to sign in with the lift operator and buy a pass at the base. I have not seen any signage on the top that directs hikers to do so and suspects the policy had been changed or just ignored by the local staff.