View Poll Results: Should sight seeing planes be alowed to buzz summits?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely not.

21 30.88%
  • Maybe not.

8 11.76%
  • They have their place.

29 42.65%
  • Absolutely shold be allowed.

10 14.71%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Planes buzzing ADK summmits.

Planes buzzing ADK summmits.

On weekends, sightseeing planes routinely buzz the summits of Mt. Marcy and Algonquin. These planes bug me. First, because they are noisy, intrusive and obnoxious. Second, because they bring a carnaval atmosphere to the wilderness. Third, because they turn the High Peaks into a consumable entity in the collective consciousness of the people who experience them, either as hikers or as passengers. I would rather they weren't there. How do you feel about it?
    Last edited by Neil; 04-24-2005 at 08:44 PM.

That sucks. When did this start? I haven't been to the ADKs in 25 years and remember the tranquility of the woods. Now with planes buzzing in can really ruin a beautiful day.

Who is running these tours? Perhaps there is some way to stop it?

I personally don't like seeing the planes in the High Peaks. It intrudes on my "wilderness" experience. We once camped on an island on Little Tupper Lake right after it was bought by the state and opened to the public. I had thought this would really be a "wilderness experience". It must lie in a flight path because there were jets and small planes passing over all day and all night. It was very disturbing. The second day we were there a yellow (DEC?) hellicopter came down the lake and and circled our island. They hovered so close off the island over our canoe that I thought maybe they were checking to see if we had picked up all the gum wrappers in our camp area!
    Last summer we were on top of Algonquin and a small plane flew down Avalanche Lake. It did feel kind of neat to look down on a plane but that is not why I go to places like Algonquin. This past winter we snowshoed into Avalanche Lake and a plane or jet went over and left a white streak in an otherwise perfect blue sky. Didn't like that in my pictures.

I've seen cruise ships in Glacier Bay. Helicopter tours and plane tours in the Grand Canyon. Countless Zodiac guided tours for whales in Vancouver. A-10s (I believe) pulling maneuvers in Franconia Notch...and those *&^% Duck Boats all over Boston.

Wish they weren't there? I don't know...kinda cool sometimes... and the "tourists" always seem to leave before the s'mores are ready at the campfire.

peace.
    I can't think of an inspirational, funny or quirky little saying.

saratoga springs Avatar: Spring has sprung ... just not yet on Sawtooth #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil
    On weekends, sightseeing planes routinely buzz the summits of Mt. Marcy and Algonquin. These planes bug me. First, because they are noisy, intrusive and obnoxious. Second, because they bring a carnaval atmosphere to the wilderness. Third, because they turn the High Peaks into a consumable entity in the collective consciousness of the people who experience them, either as hikers or as passengers. I would rather they weren't there. How do you feel about it?
    It takes a lot of nerve for someone who hikes up Wright Peak and steals a piece of the downed B-47 for a souvenir to complain about anything to do with airplanes! I've never been buzzed on any summit. Maybe they leave those of us who practice LNT alone?!
    "We sit together,
    the mountains and I,
    until only the mountain remains."

-- Li Po (701-762 A.D.)

I guess I never gave it much thought. I am usually in my own little world when I am hiking in the woods. I see your point Neil on ruining your outdoor expierence.

I still think it would be cool though to see the high peaks from above once I complete my 46. It would give a whole different view and feel from above

ADAM
    "undefined Wilderness areas are first of all a series of sanctuaries for the primitive arts of wilderness travel, especially canoeing and packing.
    -Aldo Leopold

Hiking Pictures

More Hiking Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Doc McPeak
    It takes a lot of nerve for someone who hikes up Wright Peak and steals a piece of the downed B-47 for a souvenir to complain about anything to do with airplanes! I've never been buzzed on any summit. Maybe they leave those of us who practice LNT alone?!
    Oh yeah! You've been served!

(just kidding)

I usually just wave at them like a fool.

Hi Neil,

With all due respect, I think the wording of the poll question is somewhat biased. Should planes "buzz" the summits, which suggests to me coming uncomfortably close to hikers? No, of course not. Nor should they be landing on summits? No. Do I think sight-seeing planes have their place in the Adirondacks? Yes. As I think I've said elsewhere, I admit I have seen planes only infrequently in the Adirondacks. Sometimes I was annoyed, other times I thought it was cool. My only helicopter encounter was on the summit of Cathead Mt., where there is (was?) a landing pad for official 'copters to land. The mountain (now closed to the public) was devoid of any hint or sound of wildlife for the time we were up there. But in my experience, these types of incidents are by far the exception rather than the rule.
    Last edited by rhihn; 04-25-2005 at 08:28 AM.
    Dick

Quote Originally Posted by rhihn
    Hi Neil,

With all due respect, I think the wording of the poll question is somewhat biased.
    Roger that, I can see your point. Perhaps this would be better, "should aircraft be allowed to approach summits for sightseeing purposes"
    I would edit the question but I can't get "edit" to work for a poll question.

Ruins the experience?

Why is it that so many people allow their experience to be ruined? Planes, dogs, trail erosion, postholers, you name it. Always someone else to blame. Perhaps the answer lies within.
    I was born the day she kissed me.
    I died inside the night she left me.
    But I lived, o' how I lived,
    while she loved me.

Quote Originally Posted by dial6212000
    Why is it that so many people allow their experience to be ruined? Planes, dogs, trail erosion, postholers, you name it. Always someone else to blame. Perhaps the answer lies within.
    Ruined? Just cuz something bugs me certainly dosn't mean my experience is "ruined".

I've seen planes near Monadnock a number of times. It used to be military jets from the local AFB, throttling down and flying by at eye level. Most of the crowd seemed to think this was pretty cool. More recently I've seen a couple of cute biplanes. Of course Monadnock typically has big crowds and something of a carnival atmosphere anyway.

Twice I've seen sailplanes close to Lafayette. Way cool! Of course they're silent and pretty. It's pretty exciting the way they hug the contours of the mountain too.

I wouldn't want to see planes every time I summited, but I'm perfectly happy to see (and hear) one occasionally.

Well someone could use the some of the same reasoning about hikers. Those who want to see a VFTT should be allowed to by plane.

I was hiking on the Franconia ridge a few years back and there was a glider flying around Lafayette down low. I thought it was pretty cool. No noise but if a plane was doing it I would not have a problem with it. They don't stay long.

Hey, dial6212000, I'm with ya.

Live free or die!
    Last edited by VFTTop'r; 04-25-2005 at 10:24 AM.

not you, neil

Neil, I was referring to at least two other replies on this thread which used the word "ruin", and generalizing my comment to dozens of other similar comments made over the years on other threads. I personally don't find the planes annoying. Indeed I believe the juxtaposition of technology and nature is ongoing evidence that mankind is capable of utilizing technology to alter (hopefully, and usually, improve) society while maintaining a balance with nature. We've come a long ways since the slash and burn days. I love seeing the planes, the village lights at night, and the ski jumps from the mountaintops. Mankind rocks!
    I was born the day she kissed me.
    I died inside the night she left me.
    But I lived, o' how I lived,
    while she loved me.

I don't hike the daks, but I think those people sightseeing from a plane have just as much a right to be there as people do hiking it. Who are any of us to say hikers should be the only ones to see the summits.
    Once in a while you get shown the light
    in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
    ---- Robert Hunter