Planes buzzing ADK summmits.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should sight seeing planes be alowed to buzz summits?

• Total voters
funkyfreddy said:
I get a chuckle when I read someone criticize someone else for picking up a discarded moose antler or small piece of wreckage .......

....... most especially if they condone the use of snowmobiles, ATV's, etc. - items that most certainly leave a heavy trace/impact of noise, pollution, etc., on the surrounding forest.
What if they do the former but don't condone the latter?

Neil said:
I think this thread has outlived its useful lifespan, don't you?
Since LNT is an issue that draws a wide range of responses, I would have to say no -- that a discussion of it has blossomed from this could be seen as a good thing.

And beating a dead horse is a great way to tenderize it -- one man's horse carcass is another man's filletto di cavallo.

Last edited:
aircraft in adks

A few years ago my siblings and I witnessed a helicopter rescue over the feldspar lean-to (where our tents were). We were about half-way to Lake Tear when we saw the helicopter hover, drop down a basket, and pull someone up (even got a picture!). It was pretty exciting to observe such drama (apparently someone had sprained an ankle), but I think recreational flights are kind of lame. I would also think it's a bit dangerous up there to fly, what with fast changing weather and all of the other wrecks on the peaks.

Brian

More than a few of you have probably witnessed the tree-top sorties of A-10 "warthogs": basically flying, subsonic leaf blowers - that just happen to be even better at blowing away armored tanks. Saw them a few times, in the Number Four area (western dacks), I assume out of Fort drum. Also saw one do a fairly cool, almost leisurely 80-degree bank around one of the HPs.

But back in the 60s and early 70s, SUPERSONIC overflights were fairly routine. For those of you too young to rememeber a "sonic boom": it was like a single, close, LOUD thunderclap, that shook EVERYTHING (BTW: this was before laser eye surgery caught on...) then echoed off the terrain, followed by the faint sound of a receding jet engine. Even large firework percussion caps don't approach.

But that fueled opposition to the US building and flying supersonic passenger planes, esp cross country. And military sonic booms (in tune with what was said earlier) eventually faded, in part due to public relations (or was it higher fuel prices ?).