Acadia/Maine hiking advice

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshco8

Reaction score
Hello,

Doing a trip in July to Acadia National Park. Camping at Blackwoods Campground. Planning to hike up Sargent Mountain, seems like a nice peak. Any other advice on exciting things to do in Acadia would be great! I'd also like to see some neat beaches within the park.

After Acadia, heading to Baxter State Park. My other post is about the Russell Pond, Davis Pond, Hamlin Peak loop (figured I would keep that a separate post to keep things organized). But I would also like to hear about other short backpacking/hiking advice anyone has to offer in or near Baxter. Or an recommendations on 1-3 night trips.

Thanks,
Josh

Not a big ME hiker, but did Sargent last October. It was great. We skipped Cadillac and hiked Pemetic the next day instead for a great weekend of hiking. Great views and nice trails! We did the sunset and beaches as drives in the park.

Sargent is an excellent choice, as are Cadillac and Dorr. Like most Acadia mountains, these are "above treeline," not in the arctic sense but they lack trees and you get great views for relatively little effort. My favorite, however, is Champlain Mtn., north to south, starting on the Bear Brook Trail. This is the easternmost trail on the island, and it parallels the coast. It gives you the essence of Acadia--nice hikes over pink granite slabs and a view of the ocean almost the entire trail. I did it last in October '02 and I'll never forget the views. Another not-to-be-missed trail is the one right down below that on the coast. The day we were on Sargent, by the way, was as windy as some of the days at 6000' in the Whites. It's lower but wide open up there so don't underestimate weather. Ditto on trying to go off-season. I wouldn't even attempt it in July and August but if you have to, head west away from the major crowds. Or get up really early and hike. Most of the hikes are manageable before noon if you start out early.

Last edited:
You can't go wrong in Acadia. Many of the smaller summit without sweeping views are just as nice b/c of the relative lack of people and periodic views from the trails. St. Saveur is one such, although it has pretty good views.

Sargent and Pemetic are indeed two of the best. For a few miles more than the average Acadia bear, you can make a nice trip starting at Jordan Pond, hiking up and over Pemetic, on to Cadillac, over to Dorr and down to Sieur do Mont. Jump on the Island Explorer (very reliable public bus system) and hitch a ride back to Jordan Pond.

spencer

Acadia is not my favorite place by car, so I've only done a little hiking there. I enjoyed two loops the best - one that started with Acadia mountain, went past Valley Cove on Somes sound (where there is a fresh water spring on the beach at low tide) and came back via...some trail I can't remember. I missed one mountain trail by taking the wrong trail.
Another loop I enjoyed was Bernard and Manset mountains.

For a backpacking trip in the area, head over to Donnell Pond Public Lands.

CragginCragin said:
Sargent is a lovely peak. The Beehive is an exciting climb if you're not an acrophobe. It has iron rungs installed to aid you in the climb, but get started early to beat the crowds.

I'll second the beehive as one of the most exciting trails in Acadia, and if it's open (and dry), the Precipice Trail rules.

spencer said:
You can't go wrong in Acadia.
spencer

Ditto.

MY wife and I were there last September. I would have to look at the map to remember what I climbed, but there were great hikes everywhere. Being shrouded in the fog, I think on Sargeant, was reminiscent of being in the Presidentials.

well, i fancy myself as something of a resident acadia expert, seeing as the park is literally right outside my door. when i wake up in the morning one of the first thigns i see is bar island. take a walk out there at low tide one day and check that out for sure. my favorite hike links together gorham, the beehive, and champlain, goregeous views of the buoys the whole way up, and it's not too hard. i think that sargent is a little overrated unless you're into alpine ecology. if you're staying at blackwoods, the cadillac south ridge trail will bring you all the way to the highest peak on the eastern seaboard (acadia fun fact!). other things to see would definitely be hunter's beach, take a walk around jordan pond, and the bowl. you'll go by the bowl between the beehive and champlain, i slept on it this winter. the bubbles are novel. it's true that the west side of the island (also called the quiet side or the backside) is like night and day in comparison to the east side, and you could probably link together all the hills over there in a day pretty easily. you'll have to watch a sunset from bass harbor (my favorite town on the island), and try camping at seawall on the backside one night, it's a peaceful area.

i've gotten carried away now. if there are three things i would say you "need" to do on the island they are 1)get out hiking super super early and watch a sunrise on cadillac (1st sunlight in the US) 2) hike up the precipice, and 3) get drunk with the locals at the thirsty whale.

luke

also: otter cliffs, THUNDER HOLE, compass harbor, park loop road (driving, eek!) and try to find the homes of the rich and the famous (and martha stewart) in seal harbor. WOO!!! I LOVE MDI!!!

The sunrises and sunsets on Cadillac mountain are incredible. It's well worth getting up early to partake of this feast.
There isn't an inch of ANP that I do not love.
The popovers and homemade strawberry jam are scrumptious. They will give you a beeper so you can shop at Jordan Pond gift shop while you wait to get into the restaurant. Eating on the lawn overlooking Bubble Pond is the best.
Also the sunset carriage ride up Day Mountain is a lot of fun. Book it very early.
I'm in the park early and out after sunset each day that I stay there.
You can rent mountain bikes in Bar Harbor and bike all the carriage roads. Abount 50 miles worth. I even like to hike the Witch Hole Pond loop. It's flat but the visuals are well worth it.
July is a peak tourist month so I go in early June and October. It's never that crowded then, even during peak foliage.
There is just so much to do there. The rangers set up a telescope so you can watch the Peregrin Falcons on the cliffs. Usually the babies are learning to fly when I go in June. They truly are a site to see. Their parents are incredibly attentive to them.
Just get the map and do it all. You'll be exhausted but happy!

Hey Luke,

I was down your way a couple of weeks ago. I was chatting with the guys working on resurrecting the gardens for their senior project and I asked if they knew a luke who was going to work for the FS this summer.

I thought it'd be neat if you happened to be around to say "Hi"

When I spent a bunch of time drinking down there, it usually was at Lompoc. Something about throwing heavy balls and drinking good beer made me crazy.

spencer

I'm in!

Just confirmed reservations for Blackwoods during last week of August :eek: I know it'll be crowded but at least we're there! Going with my friend and a total of 4 kids..I can't wait..hope we can get them up early to see the sunrise..I'm going to print out your ideas to use as a follow up..thx.

By the end of August, the Precipice Trail will be open; you wouldn't want to take little kids there, though. Last year three of us went up the Precipice to the top of Champlain, then down the other side, hitting Hugenot Head on the way. We followed the road back around to the car.

Susan and I did a six-mountain loop including Sargent in an October afternoon a few years ago: Bald, Parkman, Gilmore, Sargent, Penobscot, and Cedar Swamp.

Mansell and Bernard in the west are good; there are about 500 stone steps up Mansell. Also on the western side with loop possibilities are Acadia, Saint Sauveur, and Flying Mountains. More up-and-back are Beech and Norumbega.

My son hiked up Cadillac and back from Blackwoods when he was four. We went up Dorr, crossed over to Cadillac, then followed the gorge back to the car when he was five.

One of my favorite loops is to go up North Bubble, descend to the north, cross the carriage path, and climb Conners Nubble, then return to the carriage path and follow it to Deer Brook Trail, which takes us to Jordan Pond. We follow Jordan Pond Shore Trail as far as South Bubble Trail, which climbs steeply up South Bubble (there is one scary part at a narrow ledge), where we visit Bubble Rock, then descend the Bubble-Pemetic Trail to the car.

Last edited:
Excuse me for asking but they don't show sargent on the acadia trail map or on their description page. Some of the trails that were mentioned i can find but not all of them. I'll pick up a book at the library, got my wife to go with us and possibly my friends wife also, can't wait.

sargent is west of cadillac, but east of somes sound. it's sort of between the town of mt. desert and northeast harbor.

luke

Just west of Jordan Pond.

What book/map do you have?

Incidentally, watch out for raccoons while you're camping. I remember washing out a pot and throwing the water into the woods behind me — and an animal of some kind went crashing away into the undergrowth. I must have thrown the water right on it.

Acadia Traverse

I've not been down to Acadia for a few years now but one day hope to get back to try crossing the park from east to west.

I think Acadia is generally overlooked by most serious hikers due to the low elevations, kind of a shame as I think the hiking is amongst the best in the North-east.

To do the traverse would mean having to spot a car at the Parkman Trailhead then drive around to the start on the Precipice Trail...One of the most exciting,beautiful climbs I've done. This trail is usually not open until the Peregrine falcons have finished nesting some time in early August.

From the top of the precipice summit Champlain, down to the Tarn, up and over Dorr on to Cadillac (the highest point in the park at 1530ft)down to Bubble pond then climb up Pemetic....over the Bubbles, Penobscot, Sargent, Bald and Parkman.
9 peaks and a total of nearly 5,000ft of elevation gain in about 8 or 9 miles. This hike would be quite a challenge, has anyone on here ever done it?

-Phil

Shh-h-h. It is overlooked. Even if overcrowded in the summer. No, I haven't done the ANP-MDI traverse. I think you may have a lock on the patent. Sounds like fun. I've done the Parkman Trail most recently, in January on snowshoes, and almost all the others before that, but I have yet to do the Precipice.

besides the other hikes in acadia already mentioned, on the way up to baxter, stop for the day to hike gulf hagas. it is maine's little grand canyon, with walls up to 400 feet high on both sides(i believe) and all kinds of waterfalls. it is about 30 miles give or take south of millinocket. and for beaches on the island, go to echo lake on the western side of the island if you want to actually swim in water that's warmer than 55 degrees. it has cliffs up above it that you can climb too. oh yea, my avatar is sand beach w/ the beehive in the background, from the great head cliffs up above, reached from the far end of the beach.

acadia hikes

my 2 suggestions:

precipice trail - this trail trail rules, on mt champlain i think.... there are a lot of iron rungs and ladders so it can be difficult, but the views are spectacular.

as for a beach - if you're looking for picturesque (not swimming, as the water is very cold) try Sand Beach - it is beautiful, there is also a phenomenal hike right there called the Great Head trail. I know it sounds funny, but it is a great trail....

let me know if you're interested in checking out some pics I took last summer from these areas....

[email protected]