Russell Pond Question?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshco8

Reaction score
Is it worth it to spend two nights at Russell Pond? Hike in from Roaring Brook Campground then back out. I read you can rent canoes and moose sightings are highly possible. This sounds like it could be a relaxing couple days at a nice pond. Are there any day trips anyone would recommend from Russell Pond if that was our base camp? Thanks for the help!!!

Josh

yes it is most definately worth 2 nights.

Look at your map for remote campsites. Usually there is only one lean-to at these sites, so you have the place to yourself. I'd reccommend any of them, but high on my list are Pogy Pond, Wassataquoik Lake Island (if it's still around this year) Upper South Branch Pond...
Check out Northern Baxter as well, there is a nice loop using the Freezeout trail. A connecting trail has been added that returns you to Trout Brook so you won't need to spot a car. Frost Pond is very nice, as is Little East, Webster lake and Hudson Pond.
Some of the remote campsites that have canoes need keys - BSP has a list of these and you can pick up the keys at the gate or the ranger station.

A couple of yeaars ago my husband and I spent a couple of nights at Russell Pond. There is a bunkhouse, several lean-tos and the Rangers cabin. During our stay there was a bull moose that came to visit and we spent what seemed like hours watching him feed in the pond. From what I remember its about 7 miles in and relatively flat but absolutely beautiful! The second day we were there we hiked to the nearby ponds all of which had canoes we could use...if you like to fish bring along a fly rod. If you decide to go here make sure you make the trip to Emerald Falls!

-MEB

Last summer my son and I hiked The Wassataquoik Trail (night at Little Wassataquoik Pond leanto) to Russell Pond (where we spent the second night) before hiking out to Roaring Brook. Our only regret was that we didn't spend more time in one location. There are canoes available at a number of area ponds, including Russell, and there are dayhikes from that basecamp.

I'd suggest trying for Davis Pond leanto as you initially indicated, it would make Baxter Peak a viable part of your loop. If the weather weren't suitable for Baxter, you might exit via Hamlin Peak but that, too, is exposed, just that you'd be exposed for a much shorter distance and time.

I must be missing something... the Russel Pond I know of is off of Tripoli Rd NH :confused:

Russell Pond was super. I stayed there on a north-south traverse of BSP ten years ago and still remember seeing the moose in the pond. It's worth a second night. In fact, I'm going back this year to spend more than a night there. Reservation is in hand.