Tent staking on platforms?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VFTTop'r

Reaction score
I have never used a tent platform while camping. Since tent stakes don't go into wood so easy, any wisdom from the group on idaes as to how its done?

What size nails are best? :D :D

Just kidding about the nails part, any info would help I'm going out soon and will be using a platform to setup.

I've used those large "staples" that are used for attaching Romex type electrical cable to wood beams.

VFTTop'r said:
What size nails are best?
Nails, of course, work quite well. Just put them into the side of the platform so the next camper doesn't tear his tent floor on the nailhead. Many platforms already have some nails around the side.

Number 8 or 10 common is fine. Perhaps number 6 common if you're an ultralighter. :)

You can also tie guys around the platform boards or to rocks, branches, etc. or make a deadman by threading the line between boards and tying to an object (eg stick or sideways peg) below.

Doug

Nearly all the platforms have eye screws, nails, or other tie downs already in place. You can also loop your rope around the ends of the boards, or tie to nearby trees. In a pinch, jam a piece of wood or stake between the boards and use that as an anchor.

Bring along a bit more rope/cord than you would normally use, but you really don't need much more prep than that.

-dave-

VFTTop'r said:
I have never used a tent platform while camping. Since tent stakes don't go into wood so easy, any wisdom from the group on idaes as to how its done?

What size nails are best? :D :D

Just kidding about the nails part, any info would help I'm going out soon and will be using a platform to setup.

I've used 1" sheet rock screws.

I've always threaded rope thru the boards and then tied a know down below so that it couldn't slip back through. Might have to retighten after windy conditions, but these have held for me on 5+ day trips. IMHO no need to carry nails just for this when tying them off (to a tree or to the boards) is so effective.

I am not fond of the wooden tent platforms...

but sometimes you have no choice. If your tent is not free standing, use lightwt. cord to erect your tent. You can usually find spaces between the boards. Use a stick or small rock at the end of the cord. Once I used nothing but my gear inside of the tent to hold it up (kinda). It was a clear summer night and the bugs were biting- otherwise I would have skipped the tent alto gether.