Looking for a relaxed camping spot 2 hours from Boston

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shimooka

Reaction score
I'm new to Boston and looking for a nice camping spot for an overnighter for my girlfriend and I this weekend. Either car-camping in a nice spot or a short hike in to a backpacker campsite. Nothing too hard-core. And within about 2 hours from Boston if possible.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated. Any waterfalls or rivers? Nice peaks? Thanks much.

Most, not all, private and public campgrounds in MA,VT, and NH do not open until just before Memorial day. You could try a BP to one of the shelters on the AT in the Berkshires or just over the line in VT, that would be about two hours from Boston. I think the cabins are open at Mohawk Trail State Forest in Charlemont, MA (Rt. 2 west) also. Worth a try and not far from Greylock.

Hancock Campground on the Kancamagus Highway is about 2 hours from Boston, has car camping or you can hike a few yards to a site along the river.

October Mountain State Park

The AT runs thru it and there is a rather new shelter on the trail. I thought it was a lovely place. No challenge as far as hiking- it's rather flat.

Thanks for all the info

Thanks to everyone for all the info. Monadnock State Park looks really cool. I did a search for Hancock Campground but couldn't get a real sense of what it is like. I also found a site in Mass that is Army Corps of Engineers land, Tully Lake, but I need to call and see if they're open. Sounds a bit more secluded, campsites around a lake, a waterfall nearby... anyone try this place?

Thanks again.