Please help me!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darren

Poobah Emeritus
Reaction score
When I see that threads on "mystery pits" gets twice as many views as my plea for team members and donors on the annual Brain Tumor Society Ride for Research, I knew it was time for another thread. Sorry if you read and have reacted to the first thread, but since there is only 2 weeks left until the ride it needs a little more exposure.

So, if you are new to the site and aren't familiar with what I am referring to, here is some background info:

I'm Darren, creator and maintainer of this site for the last 10+ years. This site is run in my spare time with money out of my pocket.

Once a year I do a fund raiser bike ride for the Brain Tumor Society. The charity is very well run and around 96% of all money raised from the ride goes directly to the cause.

What can you do to help? Either join the team and ride with us or sponsor us on the ride.

Click here to join the team or sponsor us.

This site does a great job spreading information and knowledge within the hiking community. Please consider doing your part to help the site help the bigger community out there.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

- darren

Gar! They don't accept my credit card and don't have a billing option. suggestions?

should I sponsor a team member or make a general team donation ?
I want to make sure VFTT gets the credit.

ps: there does seem to be a credit card method of payment.

vegematic said:
Gar! They don't accept my credit card and don't have a billing option. suggestions?

Donations can also be made by making out a check to "The Brain Tumor Society" and mailing it to me at:

Darren Almeida
812 Potomska Rd.
South Dartmouth, MA

Thank you for the interest!!!

- darren

Waumbek said:
Likewise, done. In memory of David Goodwin, 48, died Easton NH, April 2005. Next?

Amen.

Also, just so people "know"....I have been asked not to make the specifics public (which I have full respect for this request), but this year's ride has a very special purpose. There is a member of this site who has had the horror of brain tumors hit very close to home during the past year. He is someone that most of you know and I can tell you that he will be in my thoughts throughout the entire ride this year. It is a good thing that after all these years that I know the route almost by heart because I will have a hard time concentrating. My thoughts will be fully occupied with concern for him and his entire family.

A little more info: brain tumors are one of the only forms of cancer that have NO known cause. lung tumors = smoking, skin tumors = sun, etc. Brain tumors = no one knows. That means there is no known cause for the effect and anyone can be effected. The majority of cases happen to the very young (3 year old children dying) and people around the age of 30. That means people in their "prime", newly weds and new parents. Bottom line is parents are forced to watch their children suffer and in many cases perish.

All I ask while you use this site is that you think of (hopefully) how lucky you are, how lucky you hope to be, and how mow much of a horrible time some people are having right now.

Thank you.

- darren

Guilty as charged - I am a wait-until-the-last-minuter. For those of you new to the site, Darren never asks for or accepts money for this site. He does, however, occasionally ask people to make a donation to this cause. So if you find this site helpful - and you like helping a good cause - I really encourage you to donate a couple of bucks. What was the figure, Darren? If every member chipped in 3 bucks, the goal for Team VFTT would be met?

chomp said:
What was the figure, Darren? If every member chipped in 3 bucks, the goal for Team VFTT would be met?

Yah, if everyone donated like $2.50 (what is that, the cost of double mocha latte chocolate banana iced swirl coolata from dunkin donuts????) then we could make the goal. So, what will it be, another caffeine fix or help some people suffering from brain tumors? :confused:

- darren

Thanks for all that info Darren. It is really nice being able to open my eyes to something I knew very little about. I'm sure to learn more at the ride I hope, which I will take great pride in.

Sponsors? So far there are 7 of us riding.. Sponsor any one of us if you wish VFTToppers! PICK ME PICK ME! :p

$3,075 to go!

No Problem

Darren
Sorry, I didn't realize your ride was so close. I got a few $ off to you. I think I have to do Blue Hills trails day that weekend but good luck on the ride. Let me know next year and maybe my company could sponsor you somehow. We do the Memory ride and the MS 150 every year. PM me.
Lloyd

Sherpa John said:
I'm sure to learn more at the ride I hope, which I will take great pride in.

I can tell you that you will have a great time at the ride. Even if it rains, you will still enjoy it. I hate riding a bike in the rain. I mean I really hate it. It all stems from having a papre route as a kid and I had to ride in the rain much more than anyone would ever want to....mental scars...

Anyway, last year it poured. I mean it really poured. Monsoon rain. About half way through I was passing a woman and I said "wow, it is really raining" and she said "this sucks" and I thought a second and said "it's a lot better than having a brain tumor" and she agreed and put on a big smile. I had a big smile on for the rest of the ride.

Here is a big smile for all the donors so far :D

- darren

Darren, I know some of us are planning on giving you checks next month at the "Escape The Escarpment Trail" hike Jay is organizing, which also benefits the the Brain Tumor Society.

Awsome thing you guys are doing. Don't ride a bike, but glad to throw a few bucks your way.

funkyfreddy said:
Darren, I know some of us are planning on giving you checks next month at the "Escape The Escarpment Trail" hike Jay is organizing, which also benefits the the Brain Tumor Society.

You are right and I offer a big time thanks to Jay and everyone involved with that effort. A big "klondike bar" (those involved know what I mean) to you all!!!

- darren

ps: Click here if you are interested in the Escape the Escarpment hike

OK Darren. Glad to do it. Had a coworker who worked across the hall from me who lost her life to Brain cancer. 2 boys and husband left behind.

Thanks for doing this.

Next.

Keith