AT in Connecticut & Mass.?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshco8

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking for a warm-up, one night or two, backpacking trip on the Appalachian Trail in CT and/or MA. Any suggestions on a nice place to pitch a tent for the night? Or where to start hiking from? It would have to be an out and back since we can only have one car for the trip. Any advice would be great. Thanks everyone!!!

Josh

A couple weeks ago Percious and his little son and I did a nice long hike starting from the Undermountain Trail in CT, over Bear Mt., down into Sage's Ravine, over Race Mt. to Everett and back out the Race Brook Falls Trail. We did a car-spot, but I just wanted to let you know what pretty territory it is. The summits are all nice, and the Ravine was particularly lovely. There's a camping area, complete w/ bear box, a little way up from the Ravine on the slope heading towards Race summit. I believe you could also camp down in the Ravine. Definitely plenty of water around. You could probably also go in from Race Brook Falls, climb Race, come back and camp in the col and tag Everett the next day. Or vice versa. Lots of options. Enjoy.

Matt

I agree 100 percent with mcorsar.... pitch your tent at Sages Ravine and head up to the summit of Mt. Race at the very least. The hike he describes over Bear Mountain, Mt. Race & Mt. Everett was my favorite on the AT in Mass. & CT. I didn't make it down to Race Brook Falls but it's long been on my list to visit. You will not be disappointed camping in Sages Ravine, it's absolutely beautiful!

- Ivy

poison ivy said:
I agree 100 percent with mcorsar

Thanks, Ivy. It's nice to have my genius recognized. :D
Actually I think you were one of the folks who responded to my original question about this area. It was my first time hiking over there, and I was not disappointed. I was particularly intrigued by the rock there, which looks a lot different from both the Catskills and Gunks, my "home turf." Vegetation-wise, it reminded me a lot of the Gunks.

Definitely check out RB Falls Trail, it's really nice. We saw some blue ice leftover in that area, and saw lots of crampon scratches around, and figured climbers must go there, at least to practice moves. This was confirmed by a guy at my local EMS who has done much of the AT and who also ice-climbs a bit.

Matt

the schaghticoke section from Kent south or Bulls Bridge north is also very nice. depending on how far you want to walk there are lean-to's at either end and a camp site half way through. watch the trail as it was not well marked this winter, but they may have repainted by now. since you're coming from Branford you could also start at the NY border and hike to 10 mile river and then through bulls bridge north to the camp site in scaghticoke and through to the lean-to in kent. so that could be, one way, 3 1/2 miles, 7 1/2 miles, or 10 1/2 miles. there is parking on hoyt st off anderson (off 55) at the CT/NY border across from the trail entrance.

Last edited:
Josh, another nice trek is from East Mnt. in Great Barrington, north to the Goose Pond area. But that is one-way.I also think that heading south on the AT from Reservoir Rd. in N. Adams, over Greylock, head down the Thunderbolt, and back via the Bellows Pipe trail to Reservoir Rd. It's not the greatest amount of mileage, but you can take your time, and enjoy the scenery.

Tom

I mentioned this before, but there is at least one active bear on the trail south of Bear Mtn., you might get a bear canister before heading out and be careful about how/where you keep your food stored.

Active bear? Meaning it has visited the campsites in the evening. I do own a bear canister and have dealt with bears before so I think and hope he won't be a problem. Has anyone seen this bear during the day time or is it night activity? This is good to know about before setting out. Thanks!

Josh

Apr 15th it took a backpack out of the small vestibule of the tent of a camping couple that I met further down the trail on the 16th.
the heard it, made noise, thought it left, then it returned to take the pack.
they packed up and hiked out to their car, returned the next morning and found the pack.
so employ the canister.
and don't melt any chocolate in your pants or pack along the trail !

When are you going? If it is this weekend, You can: day 1 (Sat), hike up Race Brook Falls Trail to AT and hike over Race & Bear and stay overnight at either Mt. Riga Shelter, Ball Brook Camping area or Brassie Brook Lean-to. Day 1 is 8.8 miles to Brassie Brook or 10.1 miles to Mt. Riga. Day 2, head over Lions Head and hook up with me at the Rt. 41 parking area just north of Salisbury (approx. 10 AM) (predominantly downhill and 3.0 miles from Mt. Riga) and continue south to Housatonic Regional HS south of Falls Village. From 41 to the high school is 9.3 miles. After hike I can shuttle you back to your car at Race Brook Trailhead on Route (MA/CT) 41.

Last edited:
Thanks Aaron,
but it won't be this weekend. Not sure when, but in the coming weeks for sure.

Chip,
what did the person have in their pack? I had bears in camp in the Adirondacks kick around my canister, about ten feet from the tent, clapped my hands and they were gone, didn't come near the tent, although I tend to be a very clean camper, so I'm sure that helped.

Josh

They said everything was hung and they seemed experienced. I thought, at first, it might be a "spring bear and girl attraction" thing, but further reading indicated that's not a factor. Like I said, be careful of where your M&M's are and you'll be good. If it was an experienced bear just going for the pack, I suppose they could have "disguised" the packs inside a large garbage bag and kept it away from the tent, along with the food. That's my new technique, anyway. Let us know when you're going. Me and my boys are up there every few weeks.

Sages Ravine area is really nice. Staying at the Riga Shelter for sunrise is a recommendation of mine since all that is required to take it is opening your eyes. The shelter is perfectly positioned (or at least it was two years ago).

There are two really good loop options a little further north than you asked about but worth the extra drive, IMO.

Glastenbury Mtn off Rt.9 in Southern VT. The shelter and camping site is about a 10 mile hike in and then you can take the West Ridge Trail (?) back to a spot just 1 mile away from the parking lot, another 10 miles approx.

There is also Stratton Mtn a little further north, accessible of the West Wardsboro (or something like that) forest road. 4 miles up to the top of Strattton where there is a firetower. 2-3 miles down to the tentsites at Stratton Pond. Another 4 miles or so out to the parking lot.