East or West Sleeper??

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEB

Reaction score
After getting home from my hike yesterday I'm thinking I may have to go back. Is it East or West Sleeper on the NEHH lsit?? The list I have says East Sleeper but my map shows West Sleeper having a higher elevation. So which is it??

Thanks
-MEB

MEB said:
After getting home from my hike yesterday I'm thinking I may have to go back. Is it East or West Sleeper on the NEHH lsit?? The list I have says East Sleeper but my map shows West Sleeper having a higher elevation. So which is it??
You are entirely correct, MEB. East Sleeper is on the NEHH list, and West Sleeper has a higher elevation. Col rule evoked. Which one did you hike?

MEB said:

Thanks
-MEB
East Sleeper is on the NEHH... Both East and West Sleeper are on the NH100. Either of them might be on the Wu-1 list but both you and I don't know that though. :p

PICTURES, MARY ELLEN!!

-Dr. Wu

and a question is:

Is there a sign on West Sleeper?

Dang! It looks like I'll be going back! We skipped East Sleeper due to time contraints and it was late in the day....I know it would have been only an extra 20 minutes or so.

Carole, if there is a sign on West Sleeper we did not see it and the book did not make reference to any sort of marker.

Wu, now that I've solved my computer problem at home pictures will be up soon!

-MEB

MEB said:
Dang! It looks like I'll be going back! We skipped East Sleeper due to time contraints and it was late in the day.
If you don't get around to it until winter, I'm there.

cantdog said:
Both of them are on the Y-List. ;)
Neither of them, I think, are on the Wu-1 list (though I have no idea what that peak is). They might be on the Wu-666 and/or the Wu-1729 list. I have to check the cooordinates.

-Dr. Wu

In 4 trips over West Sleeper, I have never found, nor seen any sign marking the summit. The "summit" is a few yards off the trail, in a mostly flat area, but definitely higher ground than the trail itself.

My altimeter, which is great at approximate elevations, measured the Tripyrmids/W. Sleeper col at 200 feet. Gene Daniell, however, claims the col doesn't meet the criteria, so West Sleeper exists only as an adjunct of South/Middle Tripyramid, while East Sleeper, although shorter than West Sleeper, has indisputable cols on both sides, so is the peak on the list. If West Sleeper were to gain the status, the Cannonball would fall off the end of the list.
(I climbed both Sleepers in case West became promoted some day!)

Last edited:
Oh no! Another List!

Well, It looks like I'll be starting another new list now! That's ok though....I'm looking forward to heading back up that way as it is a beatiful trail!

-MEB

Altimeters, hand levels, and even surverying instruments do not determine whether the 200-ft rule is satisfied; only the most recent editions of the USGS 7.5-minute quad topo maps matter.

Dr. Dasypodidae said:
Altimeters, hand levels, and even surverying instruments do not determine whether the 200-ft rule is satisfied; only the most recent editions of the USGS 7.5-minute quad topo maps matter.

A highly idealistic thought, the correct statement is that the list maker decides what matters.

Gene Daniell and his minions decided to leave S Hancock on the 48 list although the new map shows a col lacking, and not add NW Sleeper although the new map shows a col, for historical reasons.

Note that Guyot is not on the 48 list but is on the 3K list although Gene was in charge of them both at one time. I think the reasoning was that the 48 list should be exclusive and the 3K list inclusive on questionable peaks.