Russell Pond for two nights, Baxter?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshco8

Reaction score
Hello,

Thanks to everyone who answered my earlier post about a loop trip in Baxter, but for now I just got reservations for two nights at Russell Pond.

Basically I'm looking for advice on day trips from our base camp at Russell Pond. Looking for a relaxing couple days in the woods.

Also is it best to loop this trip with the Wassataquoik Stream Trail one way and Russell Pond Trail the other way?

Thanks again!!

Josh

I like the Wassataquoik Stream Trail. Russell Pond Trail has more ups and downs.

Day hikes: Pogy Pond, Davis Pond are 2 nice hikes that come to mind (Davis will be more of a climb). You could also head to Wassataquoik Lake to do some paddling, and there are numerous waterfalls in the area. You will NOT be bored :)

You WILL see moose at Russell Pond. Guaranteed.

In addition to the ones already mentioned - the Grand Falls and Ledge Falls trails make a nice loop and the Lookout trail is a short hike with beautiful views.

If you hike over to Wass lake, take all the side trails to other ponds for moose sightings. Hike Greene Falls.

Look for remnants of the logging era at New City, and see how much you can read on Inscription Rock.