Shuttle problem for you.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tramper Al

Hey,

OK, I struggle with shuttle schemes all the time, as I am classically a section hiker/skier/paddler, from point A to point C. It get's worse, too, when there are canoes involved, but that's a whole other level.

I will describe my current situation, and will welcome suggestions on how best to arrange its shuttle plan. If anyone has come up with some consistent truths (like a formula) about shuttling, I'd love to hear them too, to save me the headache of trying to think it through each time.

So, I am hiking from point A to point C. First, from A to B with companion X, then from B to C with companion Y. Call me "Z". What is the simplest (shortest) method to: 1) drive X and Z to point A (to hike), 2) have X's car available at point B for X to drive home, 3) get Y to B to hike, and 4) have either Y's or Z's car (or both) waiting at point C when they walk out, and 4) retrieve any cars left at other points?

For those of you who prefer to think a bit more concretely, I can re-phrase with actual names and places, chosen entirely at random.

Say I am hiking from Flagstaff Lake to Monson. First, from Flagstaff Lake to Caratunk with weatherman, then from Caratunk to Monson with Spencer. Call me "Al". What is the simplest (shortest) method to: 1) drive weatherman and me to Flagstaff Lake (to hike), 2) have weatherman's car available for him at Caratunk to drive home, 3) get Spencer to Caratunk to hike, and 4) have either Spencer's or my car/truck (or both) waiting at Monson when we walk out, and 4) retrieve any cars left at other points?

I could do a conventional 2 car, 2 person shuttle with each companion for each of the two sections (A-B and B-C). So from Caratunk I would drive weatherman back to Flagstaff, then drive to Monson to pick up Spencer, then return to Cararunk.

Or, I could have weatherman pick me up at Monson where I spot my car, and we drive to Flagstaff Lake to hike. Then Spencer drives to Caratunk and hikes, while weatherman takes his truck to Flagstaff for his own car.

Which scheme (or any other you might suggest) might typically minimize driving time, fuel consumption, and mental concentration? I am assuming that the actually mileage between trailheads has no bearing on the solution, which may or may not be correct. Are these two schemes actually equivalent?

Of course, everyone must arrive in his own car and take it home. No one can shuttle on a day he isn't there to hike, and of course nothing as clever as hitchhiking or a float plane is allowed.

If you've won our contest recently, please give someone else a chance.

Thanks in advance . . .

Last edited:
X & Y swap cars before hand. Z & X (using Y's car) drop Y's car at C & drive to A trail head. Y (using X's car) goes to B trailhead. When X & Z get to B, X goes home. When Y & Z get to C, they drive back to get Z's car.

Rugger said:
X & Y swap cars before hand. Z & X (using Y's car) drop Y's car at C & drive to A trail head. Y (using X's car) goes to B trailhead. When X & Z get to B, X goes home. When Y & Z get to C, they drive back to get Z's car.
If I am following it, I think it is a nice variation on my second plan, except that X and Y's cars are swapped before any spotting, rather than on site, saving one trip to point A - very good. Unfortunately, X and Y live in different states, so not so feasible.

Here's what I would do: Have X and Z meet at B, leave X's car there and X and Z would drive in Z's car to A. Hike from A to B and both take X's car back to A. X could then drive home and Z would drive to C to meet Y. Leave Z's car at C and drive Y's car back to B. Y and Z would hike to C and take Z's car back to B.

Unfortunately, this seems like it causes Z to drive more than the other two, but if for some reason Y doesn't show up it does not leave Z stranded without a car and X does not have to wait for Y.

jfb said:
Unfortunately, this seems like it causes Z to drive more than the other two.
Ah, but Z has that coming, doesn't he, as both the instigator of the shuttle plan and the only one of the three to hike both sections? Thanks for the ideas!

Option 1:

X and Z meet at C, leave Z's car at C, drive to A in X's car and hike
Y drives to A with X's spare key (which can be mailed to him ahead of time) and leaves his car and drives X's car to B, where he can hike with Z and X can drive his car home. When Y and Z get to C, they can drive Z's car to A to retrive Y's car and they both drive home

Option 2:

X and Z meet at C, leave X's car at C, drive to A in Z's car and hike
Y drives to C with X's spare key (which can be mailed to him ahead of time) and leaves his car and drives X's car to B, where he can hike with Z and X can drive his car home. When Y and Z get to C, they can drive Y's car to A to retrive Z's car and they both drive home

Use option 1 if Y lives closer to A and option 2 if he lives closer to C

Option 3:

Have Y be a dear and help out for the car spot at the start of section 1, where X, Y and Z meet at C, leave Y's car AND Z's car at C, all 3 travel in X's car to A, where Y drops of X and Z and goes about his business until it is time to drive X's car to B to hike where X will leave with his car and drive home and both Y and Z will have their cars already waiting at the end.

:D :D :D

sli74

SherpaKroto said:
Isn't there a hiker shuttle (or 2) in Monson?
Sure, but the cars will be parked there anyway, so we'll use them.

I did use a shuttle driver once to go into Flagstaff Lake and drop off my car for a NFCT canoe trip, but now I've misplaced the guy's phone number.

Spotting bicycles can add flexibility to the options.

TCD said:
Spotting bicycles can add flexibility to the options.
Absolutely! Guess how many bicycling miles would be required to set up the 17 miles hike from Flagstaff to Caratunk? Hint: Caratunk is on the east side of the mighty Kennebec, and the ferry does not take vehicles.

Drive slowly on Moxie Pond Road and stop and do the short 1/2 mile hike in to Moxie Falls on the road to The Forks. I especially enjoyed that whale rock on the front lawn of this house overlooking Moxie Pond. Those roads around there are awesome. Now I can't rattle my brain to help you figure this out as I have a hard enough time figurin my own shuttle headaches but take the roads slow and enjoy. There are moose out there! Also, there are three blue spur trails to the right down to Pierce Pond Stream with views of falls heading eastbound from Pierce Pond. If time allows, the best is the first one and go to its end, maybe about .3 miles at the top of a falls with a beautiful pool below, passing a couple of falls en route. The other two blue spurs required much descent and effort for the views they offer. I'd bypass them. If southbound (east), last of the three on the left is the best.

OK I figured it all out...

X+Z meet at point C leaving Z car there and taking X car to A.

**Tell Y to meet you at point B where X+Z finish.

Y will let X take his car to A so he can pick up his car, then locking Y key inside trunk of Y car, Y has a second key on him.

When Y+Z finish their hike Z will drive Y to point A to get his car and everyone goes home happy.

A------x+z hike..........B............y+z hike...............C
x car................... y car to A .................... z car for return trip to A
(y key in trunk)

That sounds easy enough doesn't it?

Hope it helps

Last edited:
CragginCragin said:
Now I really wish I'd paid attention in algebra!

Me too! This is starting to sound like "if a train left Boston going 100 miles an hour and a bus left San Francisco going 40 miles an hour, could you see them from a plane?"