Black flies season

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EMM

Reaction score
I understand that this can vary from year to year, but when do black flies generally begin to get really bad in the High Peaks region of the ADKs? By bad, I mean that it is uncomfortable to do an overnight trip as you are surrounded by flies as you prepare your evening and morning meals, not to mention nighttime. Many thanks.

EMM

Last edited:
depends on where (both where in terms of overall climate, and where in terms of local habitat), highly variable.

here in southern NH, where I am, this year's weather has been crazy enough that it seems to have put a big setback into the blackflies.

usually they are 3-4 weeks duration, the 1st week or so they swarm but don't seem to bite. I'm told the worst places are in woods near streams, though they were bad one time in early July on Welch/Dickey in the White Mtns which I don't think has any nearby streams.

EMM said:
. . . not to mention nighttime.
Don't mention nighttime, as black flies take a welcome break from dusk until dawn. I don't want you to give them any ideas.

Black flies were out in force during Wednesday's warm weather in the Rochester/Dover, NH area. I'm sure they'll be out everywhere the next time the temperatures top 70. They typically start to appear at lower elevations in May and linger in higher elevations on into late June and July.

EMM,

Search the forums for at least two other threads with details about black fly season. Here in the Adk High Peaks, Memorial Day is usually the "edge weekend." Some years you can get away with MDay and the flies are not too bad, other years they are very bad. Prior to MDay you're pretty safe.

I was on Hurricane at about 2000' elevation last Sunday (5/8), and there wasn't a single fly or mossquito in the air. But they're coming soon. I have started carrying bug dope and head nets, in case I run into the bugs. I will be in the woods this weekend too, and I hope to get away with it.

Have fun!

TCD

I know recently there was a very thorough thread on blood sucking insects and repellents. I have to confess, I held back precious information. Several years ago I developped a protocol that enables me, using equipment and techniques available to any high school student to alter the genetic baggage of any paying customer so that they sweat DEET. I know it will bring down the bug netting and repellent industries so I have postponed publicizing this development until now.
So if you would like to sweat DEET contact me at 1-800-***-****.

I would swim in 100% DEET if it promised to keep black flies away--far away--from me. I live at about 1900 feet elevation in rural Western Mass. The black flies came out last week and will be here til the end of August, yes the whole damn summer. My wonderful porch swing surrounded by hanging plants and flower boxes is basically an object d'art as one would not last a few moments through the swarms. Hope it makes you all feel better that at least in most areas, the season lasts just a few short weeks...........

slap swat slap swat...DEET....aahhhhh ;)

Well, I was back on Hurricane at 2000' elevation again on Saturday 5/14. And again, there wasn't a single fly or mosquito in the air.

I call it secret season. And it will be over soon.

TCD

None in the Sentinal Range (outside Placid) on 5/14........ at any elevations. I'm hoping we sqeeze a few more weeks (douptful).

Saturday in the Wild River valley (NH), black flies were out and were starting to swarm and bite. Evening cool weather and Sunday's rain kept them down, but they weren't bad in the first place. Yet.

They're coming....

I can feel it. I'm going to be up by Marcy this weekend, and are hoping to go from trailhead on up, in about an 18 mile loop. The goal is no bites. From what I've heard, it might be possible still. Weather is cooperating, and looks like ti will be OK, especially at any elevation. Anybody else have thoughts?

We were in on Bog River Flow and Lows Lake on Friday 5/13 and the flies were out and biting. We looked like a bunch of green-heads trying to fix dinner and eat with head nets on. Saturday it was cooler and misty rain on and off and there weren't any blackflies until supper time when the sun came out and the temps warmed up. Again trying to eat with head nets on. Sunday was warmer and they were out but we were on the water most of the day paddling back and they weren't bad due to the breeze.

I read a post last week on the Finger Lakes Trail that b-flys were out in lower central NY - I was at the cottage yesterday in Allegany County and mosquitos were out in force!

EMM - as far as the Dacks are concerned, I usually figure that I'm relatively safe through mid-June. Then, depending on the weather temps, I usually figure that they are gone on 4th of July and we send them over to the Whites.

Now... don't let flys stop you from hiking. I usually can keep them away with a little (oh maybe a lot) of spray. I have a net, but really have never used it. As posted earlier, they are gone by early evening/dusk for sure. Eating a bit later will solve any issue.

If you haven't been around them on the trail, be sure that you cover ANY exposed spots... back of the neck comes to mind... any small surface left untreated will be found by the little mothers!