Basin Mtn. Washbowl ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kd9truck

Reaction score
Hi ,I am looking for some beta on approaches to the bottom of basins wash bowl to get some pictures up the slides for apossible future climb (somthing to aspire to). On my Natinal Geographic maping program it shows a trail going down from the S E summit of SaddleBack,I have climbed saddle Back but don't remember seeing a trail? I had also though of droping down from the Ore bed col. The safest route seems to be from the col between Pyramid and Sawteeth and than up shanty brook. I am Intrigued buy this area,I realize this is off trail and have been trained to a leval of "leave no trace "that only special forces can provide,I am looking to travel on an unmarked trail rather than disturb a pine needle or snap a twig.Thanks in advance.

I've got to tell ya, that looks like No Mans Land in there! Mavs00, Bushwacker, and myself went to the Amp, which is on the southern side of Basin. The 1/3rd of a mile push from the Range Trail through the scrub was HELL. Thick balsam, cliffs everywhere, that was tough. And you are going to have to go alot farther than we did.
Your right, I never noticed that deadend trail off the southeast of Saddleback. It doesn't show up on any other non-USGS maps. Maybe its a typo.
I personally think to try to get there from the Sawteeth-Pyramid col, or the Orebed (Gothics-Saddleback) col would be close to impossible. Contouring southwest from the Basin-Saddleback col might work, but will not be easy.
Perhaps following the Range Trail south from the summit of Basin, Then where the RT takes a sharp right (west) and starts to descend, bushwack along the ridge to the southeast. If you stay on the spine of the ridge, descend to about the 1250 meter level, where there is a small plateau. From there, you could contour at that elevation to the north, and pick up the slide.
I can't stress enough how thick and steep it is in there. That 1/3rd mile push we did took 45 minutes. Don't go alone into there. If anything happened, you could be in serious trouble.

thanks for the info ,Yea it certainly dose look like no mans land and I have plenty of pictures of it from saw teeth to saddleback I've got to belive some one has the combo to unlock that prestine place. Several years ago I hiked up Sawteeth from the Upper Ausable and that trail was in neglect but below 3000 ft the forest opened up .I belive my game plan will be from the south up shanty brook and then up the S spine of saddleback .I will not be alone although my partener often wishes he was,I'll post some pics afterward (we'll be going after fathers day) ty,kd

There has been quite a bit of discussion here and on other boards about putting too much detail and routes on the internet about seldomly-visited spots. It usually evolves into a discussion of elitism, but there are many who feel that while its fine to visit special places like this, by making it "too easy", the amount of casual visitors will destroy why you went there in the first place.

Ditto peakbagr's words. Plus, be advised most of the area below 2900' on Shanty brook is on the AMR. You are not allowed to hike back there without permission. Please respect private property.

I had no intetion of hiking on private property.I personally have fought for the freedom this county provides. We all interpit the laws and rules to suite our own needs. wright or wrong, it is one of the many ways we are able to exersize our freedom every day.Finger shaking is a hobby of the insulent,let us rise above and digress.

If your talking to me, than let me first say that, my intent was not to chatise, only to make mention of something that MANY PEOPLE who may read this thread may not know. That is: Much of the lower portion of Shanty Brook is on Private property (AMR).

You asked for, and were given the specific information requested. I don't think that it is "too out of line" to throw in a reminder (to those that do not know) that much of the area your talking about is on Private Property and that the AMR is serious about trespass issues. You certainly may be aware of that, but who knows who else is reading it and what there knowledge level about the area is.

The "Finger shaking is a hobby of the insolent" line is neither necessary, appropriete, or appreciated.

Last edited: