Escape the Escarpment '05 report

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
THANK YOU to all the hikers and volunteers who made it to the catskills this weekend for a great hike. I'm happy that all of you out of area folks got a good chance for some awesome views from the entire trail. The sun actually listened to me and provided us with a pretty spectacular day being cool and a slight breeze.

I would like to thank all the volunteers who make this event happen, Warren, Margaret, TeeJay, Rich, Darren, Ian. Thanks for another smoothly run event. The car shuttles and the ice cream (as always).

I will have a more detailed trip report and some more info on what to do with donations very shortly. Pictures will come soon too once I find room to store them on.

Other than Kareoke night in Acra, it seems to have run pretty well. Looking forward to next year and another trail.

Jay

Thanks to all

Jay I second your sentiments.
I would like to add a big thank you to Jay for setting up this fund raising event for the second year.
He puts in a lot of time and thought in setting these up and all for a great cauase.
Can't wait to see what Jay dreams up next year.
The volunteers were great they made a nice day in the woods even better.
Snacks, water, ice cream all pretty nice treats especially when you don't have to carry them in.
I had a great weekend with a wonderful group of people.
Top it all off we helped support a great not for profit The Brain Tumor Society

Thanks all
Al

Glad to see you guys got home safe, hope the same goes for all. It was great seeing all of the NY/NJ crew and meeting the New England folks. Good folks, good weather, good food, good beer, good hiking, good cause. Special thanks to Jay for organizing this thing, Darren for giving us a reason to do it in the first place, all the volunteers, Al for the beer, Warren and Margaret for picking good restuarants, Freddy for loaning me the book, Dawn for her relentless good cheer, and Sponge for his relentlessly warped sense of humor.

Thanks to all who participated in any capacity, and here's to next year. Maybe if we're lucky we can find a karaoke-free campsite. BTW, late-night noise aside, it was a pretty good campsite, and it was generous of those folks to allow us free camping. I'm going to give them a thank you call as a courtesy. As for the donations, I should get another check or two at work tomorrow, then I'll send the whole batch to TBTS w/ a note mentioning VFTT and the Escarpment hike.

Matt

I hope everyone is now safely at home and resting quite comfortably. It was great to finally put faces to names and meet so many VFTT'ers. I'm sorry to have missed Al and Aaron....Thanks to Jay and everyone else for making this trip and benefit a success!!

This was my first hiking outing in the Catskills and I hope to be back for more. We were treated to perfect weather (it began to rain about 40 seconds before I finished!), spectacular views, great company and a wonderful support crew. I look forward to reading more and seeing the photos too.....
.......Jade
PS Seema and Brian, did you need your headlamps to finish?
Carol, thanks for the Keri lotion!
Happy belated birthday to Jay!!!

I was a support person and I would say all those who did the hike were just phenomenal!

Here's a batch of pictures. I'll add some names to go with the faces when I get a minute.

VFTT folks at the Escarpment

If I got anyon'e name wrong or missed it, let me know (and sorry).

There is a "slideshow" option in the upper right of the screen.

Last edited:
GREAT FUN !!!

Brian and I made it out safely, though EXHAUSTED !!
Headlamps in and headlamps out
23+ miles in 17 hours but I walked every blue marker and stopped at every lookout and spring flower display and that is what I wanted to do :D
Sunshine and cool temps, GREAT views and a terrific cause.
Nice meeting new VFTTers and catching up with old friends, sorry I missed you TMax, next time :)

THANK YOU to Jay for organizing this trip, it takes a lot to get such an event together and you do it so well.

THANK YOU to all the support crew (TeeJay, Papa Bear, Warren and Miss Margaret, and Darren) for the yummy goodies and cold drinks.

Sorry we didn't make it to dinner but those darn last 5 miles almost did me in and so THANK YOU to Brian for being so very patient and supportive and encouraging and for constantly standing with me while I attempt these crazy stunts :D I couldn't have done it without you.

sli74

Last edited:
It was a beautiful day spent with a bunch of great people! I'm glad I joined in, even though it was at the last possible moment and in my own quirky way! The views were so spectacular it made it difficult to keep walking instead of gawking! Driving home was tough...had to stop and get out and walk a couple of times to wake up! :eek: Thanks so much to the support crew, that apple really hit the spot!

So when's the next long trek?

Seema, do you really exist? Or are you a figment of the collective VFTT imagination? :) :)

For me this was the start of the spring/summer hiking season. And what a way to start - with my VFTT friends raising money for a great cause. Thanks to Papa Bear, TeeJay, Warren, Margaret and Darren for the trailsnacks, Al for that great COLD BEER in the parking lot after the hike, Ed for putting up with me and my ramblings for the entire hike and Jay for organizing the event. My feet are sore and all torn apart and still have not forgiven me for such a long hike the first time out this season.

Daxs,
The thanks for the beer goes to Jim B.
I also want to thank Jim and his wife Mary for taking us back and forth a few times from trial head to campground and back. That wa very nice of you.
It was great to meet you both and hike the last half with MntGT and JimB.
See you on the trails
Al

Nice pictures Rich, I only noticed one error, the first picture is of Al sitting on a camp chair, not Matt.

And of course, what is a gathering without a goofy Spongebob picture on page 9. But don't fear, I've got even a better one than that.. I should hopefully have that online tonight..

Jay

Just thought I'd add one of these pictures in-line to entice a few others to get out there next time:

Here's the (almost complete) group at the parking lot at the end:
abq.sized.jpg

What a great hike. It was my first time meeting some of you VFTT folk and I know it won't be the last. A great group of people and amazing weather made for a very memorable day. I just wanted to thank Jay for all the work that he put into this event and to Jim and his wife for driving me back from the trailhead and to dinner on Sat night. No better way to start the hiking season off then with a 23 mile hike! Now what to do next..... :D Anyone up for a presi traverse sometime around June 20-26th??

Sorry Dave, I think I'm doing one the weekend before that!

Anyway, Rich's picture from left to right:

Margaret, Warren, Teejay, Dawn, Ed, Carol, Rich (kneeling), Terri, Fred (Frytz), Jay (me!), Ralph, Adrian, Matt, Jade

Missing is Jim B, Mary, Al, Dave (I think they were all in Jim's car at the time going for a shower),

Brian and Seema, Aaron, Fred (the Funky one) were still on the trail

I think Darren was either taking the picture or off in his truck.

Ian could not make Saturday's hike or dinner so he only was around when he and I cached water on Friday afternoon.

Jay

Last edited:
Many thanks to everyone involved making this event special. It is a real pleasure to set aside our personal climbing lists and goals and spend a weekend out on the trail for a good cause. Jay thanks again for putting this all together. Carol the miles go faster when you share the views and the conversation.

Just a reminder for SpongeBob and Mcorsar about cleaning your hydration bladders.......Stick it in the freezer now or I will bring my woodworking chisels to the next big VFTT event!! :D

Thanks again for a great time everyone.........
....Jade