bird identification?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
Can anyone ID this bird that I saw at Black Pond, Pemigawasett. It's about the size of a jay, and it acted like a heron, standing in shallow water looking for a meal in the water. I couldn't get a very good image.

bird I.D.

It is a sandpiper. there are a lot of different varieties, several look almost identical so I cant tell you specifically which one it is exactly though I know theyre fairly common, ground nesters and if you approach its nest it will feign an injury to lead you from the nest before it lies off.

The long slightly downcurved bill and short neck is distinctive. If it was big (10 - 11") it was probably a snipe (although a snipe should have a head satripe)

Snipe
snipe.gif

If it was small, it may have been a Western Sandpiper (although the Western has a shorter bill, proportionately).

Western Sandpiper

WESAWin.jpg

Thanks all for the replies. Although the body looks most like a Western Sandpiper, the legs are longer on the bird I saw.

I think it is the Solitary Sandpiper. The legs are long and greenish.

Thanks again :)

Though I wasn't there ...I'll put my vote for a Spotted Sandpiper..still molting from winter into summer plumage.
Part of my vote goes for location, location,location...though I would feel better if you said "geez the thing always seemed like it couldn't stand still" and bobbed it's rear end ( or body) frequently. where as a solitary will occasionally seem to drop it's end in a bit of a nod from time to time.
Nice picture...the bird is standing on it's tip toes in the picture. You'll notice that it's rump is held high in a direct line with the bottom of it's head, which is pretty distinctive of the species. The other sand pipers you'll notice have their tails (rump) much lower... somewhere around mid breast.
Your picture shows the bird looking like a "Mr No Neck" not the extended body profile of it's next of kin the Solitary.
I put some faith in the fact that the white of it's breast extends to the base of it's neck and "chin" area, and the bill seems to have more a a flesh tone color to it than the black bill of it's cousins.
It sure does seem to have the legs of a Solitary...so I can only imagine that it's a cross dresser...ok a little bird humor there.
So that's what I'm thinking...these inbetween seasons with the birds at various stages of plumage always keeps things interesting and fun.
Behavior patterens are always a big help in sorting things out.

I often see solitary sandpipers at mountain ponds -- Mountain Pond, for example, but also Nancy and Norcross Ponds. They can be quite large for a sandpiper. This past week I've been seeing spotted sandpipers along creeks -- hopefully not too off topic, but I've never seen so many American Redstarts as we did paddling on Sunday. Whoever said whitewater wasn't peaceful?

Great photo of the sandpiper!

bird?

I believe it is a Solitary Sandpiper. They pass through this time of year.

Not a killdeer or any other kind of plover.
It is a sandpiper. the list of suspects for the time and location are;Purple, Least, Solitary, Greater Yellwolegs, Upland and spotted. Spring migration means anything can be found anywhere.

I narrowed it down to least and solitary, and vote solitary. I would like to have watched it for a min or two to confrim this. So once again I am agreeing with Foerestnome

Solitary

My wife works with a top notch birder...he says the following...

"The bird is very likely a Solitary Sandpiper. Was the photo taken this spring? If it was taken in the fall, Spotted Sandpiper is a possibility, though I still think Solitary is most likely."

Looks like another vote for Solitary.

The photo was taken on Saturday.

Thanks for all the responses! I've become more interested in the birds over the last few years. I've learned a few things on this thread, such as seasonal plumage and behavior.