Trail conditions on Old Bridle Path

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still plenty of snow on the ground as of Wednesday, from about 3500 feet up to the hut. Above treeline is totally dry. Didn't do the OBP but got a good look at it from above - lots of snow-free patches in areas exposed to sunlight. You should be able to reach the hut in bare boots, but consider bringing lightweight and easy-to-remove traction aids if you've got 'em. Definitely bring poles, but I wouldn't bother with snowshoes.

Should be abe to bare boot as hardest features below hut, the Agonies get ample sunshine. Have not been this year but in prior May's open areas on ridge & agonies clear before snow in woods & above hut. Snow above hut is usually in easier places too, & by now should be packed so should be able to bareboot it.

I'd only bring crampons if I wanted to carry them (I may Saturday) or I was planning to descend Little Haystack either by Franconia Ridge Trail towards Liberty or Falling Waters & even on Falling Waters you'd probably be fine without them.