Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trolling on the Internet

Trolling on the Internet

Thought this maybe interesting for some:

Trolling on the Internet
    Dude, I don't even hike that much! We have, problem?

HikerBob
    Everyone should read the info on that link as a reminder of how to recognize and deal with Trolls.

One snippet reminded me of a recent event (no blame no shame).

Finally, trolls create a paranoid environment, such that a casual criticism by a new arrival can elicit a ferocious and inappropriate backlash.
    I see this forum now has a system to rank posts. Another message board I frequent has the ability for members to rank down a post until it gets hidden. Only registered members get to vote and only once for any post. It provides a way for member policing.

The down side is that a large enough group of legitimate or fake members can wield the power to silence any poster at will.

This forum does give members the ability to 'squelch' other members and the advice "Don't feed the trolls" is always good.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by HikerBob
    I see this forum now has a system to rank posts. Another message board I frequent has the ability for members to rank down a post until it gets hidden. Only registered members get to vote and only once for any post. It provides a way for member policing.
    Bob
    How does this work though? I tried clicking on a thread and voting and it seemed to work but now what? How do I get to enjoy the fruits of my labor?

Threads have a nice feature where you can report problems/issues to the moderator. I suspect though that Peakbagr and Darren feel a little different about it because they probably get ninety-thousand complaints a day.

-Dr. Wu
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
    -Thomas Paine

HikerBob
    Dr Wu - I don't know if this forum is set up to do anything with the ranking other than be able to sort by it in the lists. Only Darren can answer that question.

Allowing poorly ranked posts to be deleted or hidden is a major policy change which I am sure would come following an official announcement. It is a double edged sword though as I pointed out before.

On the system I frequent that does have that ability turned on it is rarely abused but there was one time when a large group of dissidents formed and suppressed almost every post until their accounts were disabled.

The policy on that board forbids open posting of phone numbers and addresses and often members will supress such a post very rapidly without moderator intervention. Only the content is hidden, the thread remains intact and the ranked down post stays in place with the posters name and subject.

Bob

The article mentions that the troll's behavior happens because there is never face to face accountability. I think the big reason VFTT succeeds where other sites fail is this level of accountability. People know each other here. I have met a number of people here already and I do not consider myself as well connected or networked as others. Anyone who comes in and tries to disturb the friendly sense of community is quickly dealt with.
    Trail adopter Dry river Cut-off.

Another message board I frequent has the ability for members to rank down a post until it gets hidden.
    THIS website has an "ignore" feature. There is a member here that had become a "troll," at least to me. He bothered me in a scarey kind of way (beyond the usual) and then i found the ignore button. EUREKA! He no longer exists as far as I am concerned. X's link says trolls crave attention. What better way to deal with one than to activate the ignore feature.
    Last edited by Gris; 05-24-2005 at 12:21 PM.
    Buy my new book 'Zen and the Art of Pessimisim,' or not. I guess it doesn't really matter if you read it.

Avatar. The Maroon Bells . I live In NH and Near Aspen CO
    Gris am I missing something . ? I have not seen any one that really seemed scary . Ther is one poster who I just do not "get " But that could just be me . Then again I am fairly new to VVFT and am not familair with this person beyond a few posts that seemed to ramble and go off on all sorts of tangents.
    I might disagree with some one but I do not use the ignore thingy if only becasue maybe the person i dissagre with Monday might post something informative or even thoughtful on Wednesday.

HikerBob
    Yeah - the ignore feature is the one I was thinking of that works here already.

If you do use it (and I have) the ignored persons posts show in the thread but the content is supressed. There is a link to view the supressed text.

Bob

Gris am I missing something?
    Yeah, yer new. When you start getting unsolicited weird private e-mails and then "public" comments (untrue to boot) directed at you, it's time to push the ejector button!
    Buy my new book 'Zen and the Art of Pessimisim,' or not. I guess it doesn't really matter if you read it.

No I have not had that experince I do not mind a unsolicted PM as long as it is not threatening or abusive . If some one post something un true about you personally would not that be slander and deserving of more than being banned? I would think that needs more than the Ejector button .
    BTW Gris IIRC from a few of your posts you frequent the area near Taos ?
    One of my favorite places Up there with Telluride and Aspen . Just do not give away the nice lake and short steep route up Wheeler Peak near the German place with the very friendly Jays and hard to find German brews
    Last edited by RGF1; 05-24-2005 at 12:26 PM.

I'm pretty new to this board and don't personally know any of the members. With that being said, I have to say that I think this board is a pretty friendly place to post. It certainly is a great place to get information.

I think VFTT is well monitored and supervised; hope this continues. So far all of my experiences here have been positive. I've never been flamed and as of yet have not come accross any trolls. Sadly, I can't say the same for other boards that I post to.

So, long live VFTT!

you frequent the area near Taos ?
    RFG - Look closely at my avatar (San Geronimo chapel in background).

I guess you do ! I never noticed it untill you pointed it out hard to see.
    I was going ot But a lot on the east side of the road that goes to Pheonix lift and th German resturant but the deal fell apart.
    Oh I think the trolls have retruned to thier bridge for now.
    Last edited by RGF1; 05-24-2005 at 12:47 PM.

Avatar-Keaton (4) & Dad enjoying the snow on Wachusett Greenway
    Thank goodness it is nothing like RBC, but then you can just filter your NGs. As far as hostile, I recall that whole mess over at the AMC Board with Justhikng (only user that comes to mind) and a few others just before the M&M board was shut down. That got pretty nasty.
    Rick

L: Portland, OR A: snowfield below Rainier
    Quote Originally Posted by HikerBob

The down side is that a large enough group of legitimate or fake members can wield the power to silence any poster at will.
    As mentioned this can introduce it's own problems. Also the vision for this board is essentially driven by one person not by common voice of the community. This is good, a I run a network in real life I can certainly state that a benevolent dicatorship is a much better model to run a board on than any other I've seen.

Trolls and such are behavior-social problems that can be dealt with by means other than moderation but all users will need to know to not take the bait. That's not a common situation just yet.

For more info see Troll, porcupines and other internet vermin
    The first link should be to another good article on the topic.