Great Gulf Camping

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghassert

Reaction score
Matawan, NJ Avatar:Harriman Stae Park, NY
I'm looking to spend a couple of nights in the Great Gulf next week. I seem to recall a thread BC about the camping site by the intersection of the Great Gulf trail and the Wamsutta trail being closed. Does anyone have any info on this ? If it is closed, any suggestions for a decent site in the area?

Thanks,

Glenn

great gulf

I havent followed the trail all the way up to the ridge but i know that only a mile or two into the gulf from rt 16 are quite a few fantastic spots. some right on the trail, some in spur trails. Ive liked them all though they tend to be popular in the warm weather so go early.

There are a number of sites along the Great Gulf Trail...the Osgood tentsite is the closest to route 16. There are back country sites further in, the Bluff and Clam Rock. I seem to remember another area closer to the Wamsutta/Six Husbands junction.

If you have a near current AMC Presidential Range map you'll see the Great Gulf Wilderness campsites market along the GG trail. There are (were) 5 between the 6 Husband trail junction and the Sphinx junction, the furthest one was closed. But the FS was supposed to create a new one in the area.

Even without the designated spots, it's not hard to find legal places to camp in the Great Gulf.

-dave-

The Bluff and Clam Rock

The Bluff is close to Rt 16 and fairly large but very popular with the AT hikers. Even if you don't camp there, take a minute to scamper up the large bolder for some knock-your-socks-off eye cookies of the ridgeline from Madison to Washington!!! There is no other place to get this specific view.

Clam Rock is very nice and not much further but it is much less crowded because the AT hikers don't pass by.

IMO use your eyes/camera at the Bluff and your tent at Clam Rock.

The Great Gulf is a super great place!

Shortly after the Wamsutta Trail intersection, there is a large spot on the left that can fit a couple of tents and a bit further is a spot on the right. I think these were the sites of the former Great Gulf Shelters 1 and 2.

The "officailly designated sites" are marked with a small post with a tent drawring or symbol on it. If you drop your pack and look around espicailly at the Six Husbands Wamsutta trail Jct you will find a few sites. If you look around on the Madison Gulf trail above the Bluff untill it crosses the river and climbs steeply there are some legal sites not marked though. A word of warning do not camp illeaglly in the GG . They (the USFS) will find and catch you. It is only a 6-7 mile trail and easy acces from MT Washington they can see you from above also. I heard from a very good source the USFS guys will hike down into the Gulf from the Summit of Washiongton or on the trails leading into it from the Auto road . Not to metion it is not hard hike for at least till the Six Husbands trail. . The USFS Guys can and do hike in at night to hand you a fine at 1 am fun fun . :eek:
Another note of caution the Peabody River can flash flood . If there is much more rain and or a heavy down pour please be careful . A few people have died crossing it in a flood.

Last edited:
Yes, good point. The Great Gulf is a designated Wilderness and so the more specific backcountry rules apply. In particular, unless at a designated site you need to be at least 200' off-trail, you can't camp higher than the GG Trail / Sphinx Trail junction, and there are no fires allowed anywhere.