Max Shaul Hiking- Memorial Day (potentially rainy...) Weekend

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imprompturob36

Reaction score
"If you are camping at Max Shaul, be sure to check out Mine Kill Falls park, Vromans Nose and Middleburg Cliffs"

This is the wonderful advice I was given concerning a camping/hiking trip I'm taking this weekend. I'll be camping at Max Shaul Camping ground n
Here's the deal- I am at a medium experience level for hiking, but I like to go to the top of mountains... (for example potash near lake george). Also, I would like to go to fun watering holes....

So a 5-6 hour hike to a peak with a nice view is perfect...
and some holes of water with cliffs I can jump off of :)

THANKS SO MUCH EVERYONE!

If anyone has anymore advice, I would greatl

Those are short hikes listed above (but still nice if you have just a couple hours to kill).

If you want longer hikes, you will have to drive South to Catskills.

Windham, Blackhead, Black Dome, Thomas Cole, Westkill, and Hunter are probably closest.

the hikes you mentioned are all along the "long path" so even though they are short destinations, they can be hiked as a longer hike - i have a place 4 miles from shaul park - the long path runs practically past me (and the park), i did all the sections from gilboa to altamont - it is a nice place to hike with a few good views, but most of it is through the woods
if you are looking for a decent hike up a mountain from the max shaul state park area, it is 40 minutes to many catskill high peak hikes - - - so for a mountain hike the catskills would be best - the catskill 3500 club has group hikes going on every weekend to high peaks for non-members who wish to become members (you don't just join, you become a member after you have climbed the 35 peaks that are taller than 3500 feet high) - if you would like a list of the 3500 club hikes e-mail me ( [email protected] ).