Ideas for 3-4 day trip in Whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big D

Reaction score
My son and girlfriend are thinking of a 3-4 day backpack trip in the White Mountains in early June. We primarily hike and camp in the ADKs or Catskills so really don't have much of clue where to start. They are looking to hit a few of the smaller peaks and are looking for some good camping areas. Also are there different rules and regulations than here in NY? Thanks

Hey Big D,

As for where to start, I'd highly recommend the White Mountain Guide. It is produced by a 129 year old now 90,000 member organization devoted to conservation, education, and recreation in the outdoors. Not that any of that matters, it's just the best source of hiking information for the great White Mountains, bar none.

If I interpret your post correctly, then the highest peaks are not in your range of interest for this trip, right? That actually gives you more possibilities and the potential for a fairly remote and less peopled experience, if that is desirable. When you get ahold of the guide, I suggest you look at the Evans Notch area and the Kilkenny Range. More traditional destinations for 3-4 day hikes might be anywhere along the AT.

Good luck and have fun.

Last edited:
Hi again Big D,

I'm really not sure why you aren't getting more help with your question here. This is usually just the kind of thing that solicits are sorts of opinions.
You asked about rules, so here is a summary of those for the White Mountain National Forest. I don't know how they compare to New York, but I think most people find they can have fun and still follow the basic rules.

The WMG actually comes with maps of the entire WMNF, so you'll have those for planning (and hiking) purposes too. If you select a possible route or two after looking at the guide and maps, you may be able to get some more specific feedback or further suggestions here.

Hope that helps . . .

Hey Big D........
A couple of other books for you to look through:
The Hiker's Guide to New Hampshire. It's my most 'dog eared' book. Info on terrain, elevation, camping, etc. by Larry Pletcher. The other book, another popular one, is 50 Hikes or 50 More Hikes in NH by Daniel Doan.

A good website that will answer many of your questions about camping is:
www.fs.fed.us/R9/white/

.....Jade
PS I think Saturday and Sunday you will get less responses because folks are out doing what they love to do--hiking!