Davis Path to Isolation and Rocky Branch 6/3-5?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SherpaKroto

Reaction score
No Reading, MA Avatar: Crater Rim, Mt Rainier, 8/4
I'm planning a little backpack trip this weekend in hopes of good weather :)

6/3: Headlamp hike (9:00 PM start?) in to Rocky Branch Shelter #1 (is the shelter still there? I'll have a tent anyway): 2 miles/300 vert (an easy walk, I believe?)
6/4: Stairs col trail to Davis Path
Davis Path to Isolation (w/side trips to Giant Stairs, Davis and Isolation)
Camp at Isolation Tr/Davis Path Intersection: 9.1 miles/4,350 vert
6/5: Isolation Trail to Rocky Branch Trail: 8.7miles/0 vert

If anyone would like to join me, please do! I hike at a moderate pace.

Also, if anyone has any wisdom to impart about this loop, fire away! This is a red-lining hike for me, so much of it is new to me :)

SherpaKroto said:
I'm planning a little backpack trip this weekend in hopes of good weather :)

6/3: Headlamp hike (9:00 PM start?) in to Rocky Branch Shelter #1 (is the shelter still there? I'll have a tent anyway): 2 miles/300 vert (an easy walk, I believe?)

Piece of cake. Shelter and tent platforms still there as of this weekend. :D

SherpaKroto said:
6/4: Stairs col trail to Davis Path
Davis Path to Isolation (w/side trips to Giant Stairs, Davis and Isolation)
Camp at Isolation Tr/Davis Path Intersection: 9.1 miles/4,350 vert?

Kicked my *$$. This was done on a brutally hot, humid day and it was tough. The trail was overgrown at that time. I have heard it has been opened somewhat by some trail work. You should be able to find several campsites near the intersection. Some may or may not be entirely legal. Search around.

SherpaKroto said:
6/5: Isolation Trail to Rocky Branch Trail: 8.7miles/0 vert

Piece of cake. Enjoy.

SherpaKroto said:
If anyone would like to join me, please do! I hike at a moderate pace.

Also, if anyone has any wisdom to impart about this loop, fire away! This is a red-lining hike for me, so much of it is new to me :)

I would love too and plan to do that hike again. I still enjoyed it greatly.

Have a great time and I would love to hear a trip report.

Keith

SherpaKroto said:
This is a red-lining hike for me, so much of it is new to me :)
Darn! I thought we finally had you intentionally section hiking a long distance (Cohos) trail. And I hike at a moderate pace.

Have a great time!

Sunday

Hey Big BRO!

We'll be in the same Neighborhood Sunday!

I plan on Starting Sunday AM at Appalachia Trailhead at 5:30am. My plan is for a Presidential Traverse (skipping Adams). Once I get over Washington, I plan on dropping down Davis Path to get up Isolation.. then turning back and heading BACK UP Davis Path to continue across the Southern Presies and out down Webster/Jackson.

If all is well... I should be down at Isolation Summit somtime aroung 1-3pm ish. Look for me? Or will you have departed by then? :confused:

Tramper: well, it is a section hike of sorts. BTW, I've been section hiking the LT a bit over the past 2 years. I figure I'll save any serious section hiking for when this summit fever wanes a bit. Then I can get plain old trail fever. Different strokes...

SJ: I won't be anywhere near Iso when you get there! My idea of moderate (as Tramper so faithfully reminded me) is slow enough to watch the flowers bloom :eek: You do have a very good chance to see AlpineSummit though...
BTW, rumored big snow in the little cols on the Davis Path heading south to Isolation. Factor that time in, and watch the footing! Injuries put a quick halt to goals...

SAR-EMT40: Thanks for great info!

Last edited:
Yes yes... My alternate plan is Moriah, carters and Cats. I'm thinking I may switch to that one with the Hancocks on my way out of dodge. ;)

SherpaKroto said:
Tramper: well, it is a section hike of sorts. BTW, I've been section hiking the LT a bit over the past 2 years.
Absolutely, I just wasn't sure if your LT work was with "intent to section hike" or not. Heck, you and I have hiked some AT-in-winter miles a few times, yes?

SherpaKroto said:
My idea of moderate (as Tramper so faithfully reminded me) is slow enough to watch the flowers bloom. . .
Ooops, no dis' on your reputation intended. It's not how fast you hike, it's how much you enjoy yourself. And nobody does that better than you do.

Last edited:
Stairs

SK,I was on stairs Monday via your rte,gotta tell ya campin on top of stairs would be awesome,good spot(bring water tho)Shelter is boring compared to hikin the extra 2.5 up there.If you do headlamp to shelter,trail easier than wilderness trail ,green tunnel all the way!!!!!!MJ

MarkJ is absolutely right. If you can get to the top of stairs the first night there are some spectacular campsites up there near the cliff. I don't know that piece of the trip though between Rocky branch and Stairs. I did Stairs Mountain by Davis path and also by Mt Langdon to Mt Parker trail. Stairs Col Trail may be a big chunk at night. I don't know. Maybe MJ can speak to that.

Load up on water belows stairs. I don't think water it is going to be a problem for you with all the rain but, the time we went we had almost no water until we got to Isolation.

Also, the Davis/Isolation intersection. Water and some larger tent sites are available down onto the Isolation part of the trail. At least there used to be. Only problem there is that it also could be somewhat wet.

Good luck,

Keith

Last edited:
Thanks again guys! I'm very familiar with the Iso end of things (I've stayed at the campsite on Iso/Davis intersection), but have not ventured south of Rocky Branch Shelter #2, or on Davis Path south of Iso. Doubt I can get myself up to Stairs since I'm leaving Boston at 5:00PM. I hope to be on the trail around 8:30PM give or take a bit, so should hit the shelter well before 10:00, allowing for a late start.

MarkJ: Where the heck have you been? I'll be happy to be your substitute hiking partner while our buddies are making that little walk north :) Would be good to see you!

So, it's looking like a solo backpack for me? No worries there, but if anyone is interested, don't be shy :)

Hi, I think I am interested in this trip. I was trying to figure out the route on the map, are you planning on parking at the end of Jerico Road for this and making a big loop? It sounds great to me, I have not been backpacking since last October, and I would really love to get back out there. I hike sort of slow and steady... If that isn't a problem. I have stuff to do in Conway until about 5:30 or 6 pm, but If you are not planning on being there until 8:30 that should not be a problem. I tried for Isolation in February, but turned back due to snow and frozen mittens and feet, so I would love to try again. Let me know if you want some company. Christine

Chinooktrail: absolutely! If interested in joining me, just eMail me. I will be parking at the trailhead on Jericho Road. I might be getting out early (I have an insurance issue that may put me home to get it resolved), so could start possibly as early as 7:30. Saturday will be a long day, but I'm not rushing. One other may join us. He's a lot faster, and will likely head out fast on Sunday.

I'd love the company. Feel free to ask anyone about me. I'm harmless :)

excellent

I did this as part of a large loop last year, we started at the beginning at Stanton and went over Pickering,Langdon,Parker and camped first night at resolution shelter.Then over Stairs,Davis,Isolation and down Isolation to Rocky branch #2 second night. Then along Rocky branch, up Stairs col back over Resolution and out the Langdon trail an day 3 and it was a great weekend. Have fun,my next hike isnt till the weekend of the 10th, :( Mike D.