Those carts/sleds you pull your gear on....

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadowcat

Reaction score
does anyone know where i can rent or buy "inexpensively" / cheap one of those sleds you can pull your gear on? i only need one this one wkend so i hate to go out and buy. we are staying out a this "yurt" for a few days and you have to haul all your stuff in so it would be nice to have something like this vs packing it all in. ideas appreciated.

I built my own from a cheap plastic sled, some PVC pipe, cheap rope and an old hipbelt. Check out the old thread for more info or do a search for the word "pulk."

Build Your Own Thread

more friction this time of year?

Great thread, and my sled is built from those instructions and works very well. But it is of best use when the ground is, well, somewhat more slippery. :) I'm not sure there exists anything that will get you and your stuff to the yurt easily over a rocky trail. Maybe strap your pack to one of those hand golf carts and modify the wheels?

idea

that golf / shoppy cart idea mite be the way to go. carry lite stuff on our back and the heavier stuff on a travel type cart (like those carts you can put luggage on)- i think the trail in to the yurt is pretty flat. i know most folks could just pack it all in but i can't carry too much weight on my back rite now so i have to look at alternatives.

I have some friends that haul their gear into the dacks for big game hunting in the fall, and the carcasses out. They use a cart which looks like a stretcher, but with one motorcycle wheel under the center of the bed. One guy on each end.

Try contacting one of the hunting guide services in the area to see if they have something for rent.

Tony

stretcher

mmmm
now that might be nice - for carting my sorry butt in! :D
just lay back and enjoy the ride.
actually i found we can probably ride our mt bikes in so we can easily make more than 1 trip too so that may help.
it stinks when you have to start accomodating health issues doesn't it?

Jogging stroller

It's funny. Prior to a couple of days ago, I had never seen this. Then you asked your excellent question. Jogging stroller.

Maybe a couple of nights ago there was a news story about a guy doing this killer road walk, maybe coast to coast. Anyway, he was pushing a jogging stroller full of his gear for the trip.

Then today, I see this fellow along the Charles River while I'm enjoying the early afternoon paddling my Wildfire. He appeared to be pushing all of his worldly possessions around in - you guessed it - a jogging stroller. Much better than a shopping cart.

Anyway, you should be able to rent a jogging stroller somewhere. Those things are really smooth and so easy to push a pertty heavy load. We have kind of a modular baby chariot and the company sells a sort of rickshaw attachment that would work well, but I don't we'll ever get into that.

Hope that helps . . .

Try looking into a pull behind ATV sled used for ice fishing. They make one that would be a perfect size it's about the size of a full 8000ci pack with some a small amount of room on the sides. You can buy runner plates for the bottom for easy pulling in sticky/slushy snow conditions. I'm sorry I can't remember what brand it was. Maybe Clam, or Polar.

are you homesteading?

why do you need an extra cart to haul your gear? you could always horsepack? are you going on some uber long back country adventure? or did you pack the kitchen sink?

reply to cmr

nope don't need the kitchen sink. won't get into details as they are noyb but i can't carry a lot of wght on my back right now - didn't i say that in my question? oh well the rest of you thnx for all the help. seems winter works best for pulling stuff. i'll be ok. just wanted to have my bases covered