Schroon Lake lodgings

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel Eagan

Reaction score
My wife and I are looking for a cheap, clean place to stay in Schroon Lake. Any preferences? Is there much of a difference between Davis and Drake's?

No not much difference. I would say the Drake is slightly cleaner but they are both okay. Drake is not open in winter so I've stayed at the Davis more often.

The "Dun Roamin" cottages have always looked appealing, but I've never stayed there. Look nice on the outside.

Drake's is nice because it has a restaurant on the premises.

My family has been visiting Kish Duna (The little yellow cabins) every summer for more than 20 years now. Very clean and friendly staff. Prices right around $50 for a hotel for a night. The beach there is the best on Schroon, in my opinion.

-percious

I stayed one night at the Davis and the next night at the Drake. The Drake was nicer. I didn't like the Davis because the door seemed pretty flimsy, and I don't think it had even a chain, let alone a deadbolt.

We've always stayed since that time at the Maple Leaf, actually. Kitchen stuff right in the room, so you don't have to go to the Sugar Bowl downtown with all the smokers for breakfast.

I should probably add that your calling card won't work with the telephones at the Maple Leaf, unless you buy a card from the motel owner. There's a gas station across the street with a general store with a pay phone inside that I use.

Last edited:
I've stayed at the Drake at liked it. Clean, cheap the people were friendly and they let me bring my dog. I'd stay there again.

If you want something more rustic a little outside Schoon Lake you can rent a yurt near Minerva. Falls Brook Yurt

"so you don't have to go to the Sugar Bowl downtown with all the smokers for breakfast."
I thought smoking has been outlawed in N.Y. resturants for a couple of years??

Speaking of the Sugar Bowl

I so looked forward to an amazing breakfast there--even cigarette smoke would not have been a distraction so long as I had eggs over and some home fries--but they were not open at 5 as expected! (And yes, I called ahead.) So it was whatever I could roust from the local Stewarts. (You know it was a lousy second best.) Check ahead if you are counting on breakfast, then plan on a back-up.

I can't remember the name of the place I stayed at last Feb, but it's south of town, headed north it's on the left, on a little hill, long little motel, just fine for hit and run. I am sure that was really helpful.

Cheers.

Biker, I don't know if smoking in restaurants has ben outlawed in New York or not. I last ate at the Sugar Bowl back on September 11 and 12, 2001, so things may have changed since then. I think the restaurant's ownership may have changed, too.

Anyway, since then, I 've had instant oatmeal and English muffins and hot chocolate in my motel room. Saves a little time, too.

Incidentally, for anyone wondering, it's about a 45-minute drive from Schroon Lake to the Upper Works trailheads. About 20 to Elk Lake, I think.

Raymond said:
Biker, I don't know if smoking in restaurants has ben outlawed in New York or not. I last ate at the Sugar Bowl back on September 11 and 12, 2001, so things may have changed since then. I think the restaurant's ownership may have changed, too.

Anyway, since then, I 've had instant oatmeal and English muffins and hot chocolate in my motel room. Saves a little time, too.

Incidentally, for anyone wondering, it's about a 45-minute drive from Schroon Lake to the Upper Works trailheads. About 20 to Elk Lake, I think.

There is NO SMOKING in NY resturants and public bars. :)
CT also ,and I think MA just passed the law.

Thanks for the advice. We stayed at Drake's, and despite the overflow from Americade it was a very pleasant experience. Also had dinner there, and couldn't recommend it more.

On the other hand, breakfast at the Sugar Bowl was terrible. Almost as bad as the heat and humidity for trail crew day.

Last edited: