4K club rules???

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerry13

Reaction score
Otter River, Mass Avatar: Leisurely winter hike o
I was just reading a thread about using mtn bikes to reach trailheads when service roads are closed. There seemed to be a lot of differning opinions over a point which I considered to be fairly insignificant. This got me thinking about the rules for membership to 4K club. Since I have bagged a number of the 4K peaks I began to wonder what I need to do to verify this so if and when I bag them all I will not encounter any problems in having the feat recognized, if I so choose. I have just been logging the dates in my AMC Guide Book. The instructions in my book, 27 th edition, are relatively vague. The AMC Guide indicates that one request a application form from the AMC. Does this have to be done before, after, or at anytime. Also I have been under the assumption that multiple 4Kers can be obtained from a single ascent as long as the 200 ft difference in rise was maintained. i.e. a trek up the Crawford Path to Washington might account for Pierce, Eisenhower, Monore and Washington???? Any comments other guidance would be appreciated before I get to far along..

Multiples are wonderful and are incouraged. Consider climbing the Bonds one at a time, Ouch! Good luck on your quest. Thinking of the Adirondacks how many have we known that climbed Giant and not Rocky, Cascade and not Porter. Algonquin and not Iroquois. Whiteface and forgetting Esther. Most of us have done something like that. When the reality sinks in, usually after we made up our minds to complete the list it hits hard. OH no I did Panther and not Couch! Like I said Good luck and plan carefully.

If you are interested in a further challange, the Trailwrights maintains a separate list of NH 4000'ers, totally 72 peaks. In addition, you can only do one peak per hike, and also do 72 hours of trailwork.

But very few people are interested in the Trailwrights approach. Most people are thinking of the AMC list when they consider this. In addition to the link in the first response, the 4000'er Committee now has their own FAQ up-to-date and online. Link

-dave-

Keep on going!!

Double Bow said:
And there is no reason you need to stop at the NH 48! After that (or at the same time) you can go for the NE 67 4Ks and the NE 100 Highest! As long as you keeping looking for them, you will keep finding lists.

Ross - That is the attitude!! It by no means ends after you finish the 48, in fact that is just the beginning I hope! I am hoping to do the 48 at least once per decade (the time I am wrapping up this year is my thirties), and more so than that I want to do them from different trails each time wherever that is possible. I plan on doing the NE 67 and the 100 highest. Driving time will probably make the Adirondacks a rare treat in my hiking life.

David Metsky said:
But very few people are interested in the Trailwrights approach.
As of this year there are 17 reported completers (several of whom are members of VFTT), or an average of less than one per year since the club was founded.
They have just voted to recognize winter completers separately, with 2 already reported. I don't know if you have to do winter trailwork to qualify.

RoySwkr said:
They have just voted to recognize winter completers separately, with 2 already reported. I don't know if you have to do winter trailwork to qualify.
Winter trailwork, sounds like fun. :D

In case I was unclear, I wasn't trying to disparage the Trailwrights approach, I rather like it myself. Just that it's not fairly well known and not many folks have taken on the challange.

-dave-

And it's OK to make up your own version although, of course, you may have to issue your own certificate, i.e., take satisfaction from meeting your own goal. I decided to do the NH 4Ks (or WMNF 4Ks or whatever they are) individually. That was easy for me to do as no one of them was that far away from Franconia. I liked the idea of focussing on a single peak per hike even though sometimes I actually hiked two or more on a trip. When I wandered further afield to do the ADKs or the NE 4Ks I had to be more economical in fuel and time.