What should be in the emergency kit?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linehant

Reaction score
I'm enjoying the thread on first aid kit contents so much that I thought I'd start another inquiring about the contents of folk's emergency/repair kits.

So... what do all you hikers / climbers / skiers carry in case a non-medical "situation" - a busted binding, a torn boot sole, a ripped tent, happens?

Obviously there will be some differences between summer/winter and between various sports, so it might be helpful to identify items by season and/or sport. The "emergency kit" would be stuff that one carries in addition to "normal" sport-specific clothing layers, etc.

Always Carry
- Map
- Compass
- Whistle
- Duct tape
- Extra boot laces
- TP and small garbage bag

Cold Weather / Winter
- Emergency bag / space blanket
- Chemical heat packs (2)
- Para-cord
- Spare crampon screws
- Wire ties

Telemark / back country Skiing
- As above for cold weather / winter
- Binding repair parts
- Small chunk of glide wax
- Specialized screwdriver handle w/various bits

Ice Climbing
- As above for cold weather / winter
- Extra chemical heat packs
- Extra food
- "Leaver" biners and spare webbing
- Tool for creating a v-thread
- Spare ice axe pick
- Allen wrench for adjusting/repairing crampons

In reviewing the above, it appears that one item I never seem to carry (unless INTENDING to overnight) is a lighter, or some matches, and fire starter. Hmmmm....

I love my leatherman. I've used it so many times for so many things that I carry it all the time, no matter what the activity.

I used to carry a 9 volt battery and steel wool to start fires, and told my friends it was for emergencies, but in reality I just thought it was really cool to start fires that way.

Quack said:
I used to carry a 9 volt battery and steel wool to start fires, and told my friends it was for emergencies, but in reality I just thought it was really cool to start fires that way.

That does sound cool... I'll have to try it myself. :)

On a trip up the winter route to Cliff with a sizable group (7 or 8) I decided to bring an extra snowshoe in addition to the usual stuff I carry (not all that much actually besides fasteners, cord, matches, a pen-knife, and a couple of headlamps). I figured with that many people on a potentially rough trip it wouldn't hurt to have one. So I stuck a Northern Lite (22 oz.) on my son's ;) pack and off we went. Sure enough, on the way down, a member of our party's MSRs failed totally and irretrievably (it was 8 years old). I don't think I'll always take an extra shoe but with larger groups and rough terrain the odds of a break are higher. Worth a thought....

linehant said:
In reviewing the above, it appears that one item I never seem to carry (unless INTENDING to overnight) is a lighter, or some matches, and fire starter. Hmmmm....

I think you've arrived at an important realization. An emergency kit should take care of the critical needs in an emergency overnight. Exposure without adequate insulation or a heat source is definitely one of the greatest risks in this case. Survival chances can be greatly improved with a couple relatively small items--at a minimum, a hat and something to start a fire. Maybe instead of the small garbage bag, bring a larger garbage bag. It wouldn't weigh much more or take up more space, but it could provide critical shelter from rain and/or wind.

Always in the winter, and often in the summer, I'll carry my stove, a metal cup and a couple different ways to start a fire. I'll usually bring a packet of jello to provide quick, warm calories to someone going hypothermic.

Barring a medical emergency (which would be the top priority) hypothermia is probably the biggest concern.
Ideally we'd all be competant at constructing a tent-like shelter with available materials (trees, branches, leaves) and starting a fire with no matches.
In practical terms a space blanket, pocket knife, extra matches, small flashlight and some cord should suffice.
These items should be carried on you, as they won't do you any good in your pack as it floats down stream, or careens over a cliff edge. ;)
In my day pack I also carry a tube tent, MRE , change of long capilenes and wool socks. I'd be toasty and well fed !

"Hypothermia kills more outdoor enthusiasts every year than anything else.
When water temperatures are 50 degrees F or less, and air temperatures as high as 60-70 degrees F, hypothermia is possible. Given the right set of circumstances, it can (and does) occur anywhere."

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/otoole84.html

Shovel?

I'm curious if most people carry an avy type shovel in the winter? Is it worth the extra weight?

I went an entire winter without one, but now that I think of it, it would of been great to level the snow for an eating spot. It would also be good to dig a hole should you need to take cover from strong winds. Not that you couldn't perform those tasks with, say, a snowshoe if desperate enough, but I figured having the right tool for the job would lessen energy expenditure and thus leave you more energy to tend to other stuff or to simply survive the cold.

I've also read an article on emergency kits in a french magazine (Espaces) that it's good to carry gum in the winter. It gets the face muscles working and gets blood flowing in the face area so it warms up.

Finally, carrying a couple of sugar packages (the kind you get at restaurants) would help make a hot sugary drink.

Fish

hikingfish said:
I'm curious if most people carry an avy type shovel in the winter? Is it worth the extra weight?

Fish

I always carry one when backcountry skiing, but have thought about carrying one when hiking as well. The ability to make a well-insulated shelter could be life-saving if you had to spend a winter night outside. Might be worth the extra 1.5 lbs. in the pack if the trip is remote enough.

Not an emergency, but it's nice to have a ferrule or 2 that fit your tent poles.
I haven't seen any statistics, but the new lighter poles seem to take less misplaced stress than the older fiberglass ones do.

hikingfish said:

I went an entire winter without one, but now that I think of it, it would of been great to level the snow for an eating spot. It would also be good to dig a hole should you need to take cover from strong winds. Not that you couldn't perform those tasks with, say, a snowshoe if desperate enough, but I figured having the right tool for the job would lessen energy expenditure and thus leave you more energy to tend to other stuff or to simply survive the cold.

I've also read an article on emergency kits in a french magazine (Espaces) that it's good to carry gum in the winter. It gets the face muscles working and gets blood flowing in the face area so it warms up.

Finally, carrying a couple of sugar packages (the kind you get at restaurants) would help make a hot sugary drink.

Fish
winter hiking/sking/ you should always carry an avyshovel, avy transceiver, snow shoes and an ice axe....... in avy danger areas.. never second guess mother nature....