It's hot out! Do u still go hiking?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldfeet

Reaction score
Just curious...does the heat make you cancel hikes?

This is my first year hiking and I never got to experience upper 80 degree weather.

Hiking thru Hell

It has never stopped me, but everyone is different. The older I get the more I like the heat. If you often find yourself suffering in heat then you should think about not hiking, or at least stay on hikes that are more in the forest.
Another thing to consider is hydration. some people are really bad at drinking enough. I have easily downed 5-6 liters on an 8 plus hour hike in opressive conditions. Everything you sweat out you need to replace!

I feel exactly the opposite. I hate the heat and especially the humidity. I love 40 - 50 degree nights when camping and if it gets above 75 degrees while hiking I know that it is going to be unpleasant. I still do it though. Just bring lots of water and ways to obtain it. :D

Keith

I'm not a big fan of super hot, humid hikes, but I wouldn't cancel a hike due to heat. As others have said, I'd be sure to stay hydrated. Also, pace myself so I don't blow a gasket. Starting earlier when the day is cooler and skipping full sun exposure in the afternoon makes a difference.

Coldfeet, with this weather I think you'll be changing your moniker :D

coldfeet said:
Just curious...does the heat make you cancel hikes?

This is my first year hiking and I never got to experience upper 80 degree weather.

Just did Wilson and Breadloaf in Vermont, and it was about 90 at the bottom. Of course, at the top it's a good bit cooler (but watch out for those bugs!!!).

I seem to remember it averages about 5.5 degrees (F) cooler per 1000 feet of elevation gain.

Anyway, wear light colored, loose fitting clothes, make sure you have enough water, bring the sun block, wear a light hat if you're exposed to the sun, freeze a water bottle the night before the hike, it all helps.

One of the toughest hikes I ever did was Allen around July 4th. The temp was about 90+, the humidity was high, and bugs plagued us the entire way! But we made it! :D

I don’t cancel trips due to heat, though I might if the mercury is supposed to get over 100, but the heat does slow me down tremendously.

Oh Yeah..I'll still go even if it's hot..but I do take lots of extra water, give myself extra time and I'll take advantage of any cool water source along the way.

I never cancel a hike because of the weather. I often change plans during a hike because of the weather, however, usually for safety rather than comfort.

Steve

Since my mail man does not deliver in bad weather, I'll take their motto, I hike in all the weather, now a snowstorm hike may end up as a South Carter Trip instead of an Adams Trip & a deluge may make a Washington Trip a Wildcats trip but their will be hiking.

Okay well maybe not in a Hurricane or strong Tropical Storm, but I've gone the day after when they were whipping at the mountains the night before. Besides i heat it's never as hot up high.

Before reading through the replies on this thread I was certain that nobody on this forum cancels due to the heat. So far, it looks like I'm right.

I also hate the heat except when I'm out running or hiking and I go into a head space where I'm immune to the discomfort. Too bad it dosn't work with bugs. I go through water, or should I say water goes through me like I was a sieve. My record is 8 quarts in a day. At that rate it's a good idea to learn about the hazards of hyponatremia. I usually carry Pringles (for medicinal purposes only:)).

If you are like my son and have hardly any sweat glands you will turn beet red if you exert yourself in the intense heat. Heat stroke is a definite risk.

BTW, it's nice to carry a change of clothing for the summit. Makes me feel like a new man!

We go to the Smokies in North Carolina every June, last year it was so hot and humid I took off my t-shirt as was able to wring out about 60cc's or so of sweat from the shirt. Hiking down south in the summer is tough due to the heat and the insane backwoods locals ;)

In my 20's and early 30's the heat didn't bother me at all. I looked forward to hot summer trips. I was in my mid 30's when I backpacked across Joshua Tree one brutally hot spring when it got to 108. After that, my heat tolerance diminished somewhat.

I'll still do some 8-10 mile dayhikes in 85-90 degree weather, but I don't really plan backpacking trips as much any more in July/August. I spend those months paddling and biking. :)

Halite said:
Starting earlier when the day is cooler and skipping full sun exposure in the afternoon makes a difference.

This is basically my M.O. on hot days. I try to start before sunrise and pick hikes on west facing slopes! Maximize the shady time! [:D]

^MtnMike^

Like the frozen water bottle idea.....didn't think of temp change due to elevation gain...oh well I'll keep on reading stories and try to learn..embarassing you'd think I'd know because of the number of posts. (200 of those were about winter camping)

hydrate!

I was just hiking this past weekend--13.5 miles...it was very sunny,warm and humid........we carried just enough water .... be sure you carry your water filter.... there's nothing like a cold refreshing drink form a nearby stream......i always underestimate the amount of water i will need...i have always needed to use my filter...what a great invention...worth the weight.

I hate the heat, but I go hiking in it anyway. I usually (because i live so close to the whites) will hike insted of going on a road ride. :D

I hike in the heat, but only because it's when my family joins me...otherwise, anything below 50 is good for me with the lower the better.

As for the frozen bottles -- I did have one time when ice plus bottle parkas slowed the melting such that it could not keep up with my initial intake.

Jim