SS Members

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalraida

Reaction score
Living a mile from the AT in Wentworth, NH
Just curious. After talking to a young section hiker on top of Moose Hillock this morning who seemed amazed at my being over 65, I started to wonder; how many of the members of this board are also drawing Social Security Retirement? Come on, don't be embarassed, if they were US Cits, the Rolling Stones could :D

Not yet for me. But my countdown now is in the "months-to-go" phase.

G.

Dalraida, I will step up and admit that I'm in the 65 y.o. (or older) group, and proudly receiving SS. Hope to continue hiking and collecting a monthly check for a long time :rolleyes:

Early retiree here.

When I reached 62 last Fall, I took the reduced SS amount. Guy at the SSA said I was smart. You don't break even till you're over 85.

Guilty having just reached the golden age. Speaking of golden age for ten bucks you can get the golden age passport from the feds, National Forest Service or National Parks Service. I found out from the forest service that "old folks" pass serves as a subsitute for the Northwest Forest Pass and the White Mtn forest Pass. A one time ten dollar fee That's right the ten bucks is a lifetime pass! and you do not have to pony up the thrity dollar annual fee for the forest permit. The forest service has a pouch for the Golden age Passport to allow you to hang it on your rear view mirror where your would have to have a hiking pass. Also you get into the National Parks for free and 50% off on campgrounds. So it ain't so bad to be a retired old-------hiker.

Last edited:
Well, I had a bad feeling opening a thread about members of the "SS". I guess some of you hikers may think you are old, but maybe not many who had the first impression that I had in seeing that double S. Glad we're talking about people RECEIVING Social Security, of all things!

Never forget.

Last edited:
Tramper Al said:
Well, I had a bad feeling opening a thread about members of the "SS". I guess some of you hikers may think you are old, but not maybe not many who had the first impression that I had in seeing that double S. Glad we're talking about people RECEIVING Social Security, of all things!

Never forget.

Al - That was exactly what I was thinking...

Not quite ready to draw Social Security yet...but if it would be those who are "young" enough to be AARP members then I would fit right in......

He Ain't Old

Dalraida's driver's license may say he's 65 (or even 100 for what it's worth) but I don't believe it. He's got a memory like you wouldn't believe and you should see the mo'fr on a bushwhack. I'm more than 1/2 his age (and in decent shape) and I struggle to keep up.

Tom, the thru-hiker must've thought you were lying.

Oh, and yeah, I knew Tom didn't mean SS as in The SS but for a second I was like, Oh No -- What's He Trying To Say!?

-Dr. Wu

Yepper

Nice to see I have such good company. I too started my benefits at 62, but now have reached the full retirement age. I enjoy all the age related price reductions however, my insurance company just sent me a downer. Seems that they rate risks by age group. Just like young males under about twenty five get higher rates, I just moved to the 65-74 age group and my car insurance just went up over 200 smackers. I spent the winter hiking with mostly young people (not you Kroto) and felt a bit guilty when they would stop and wait for me to catch up. It's difficult to "hike your own hike" in the winter when group member safety is a big factor.

The olden days

Upon reading all the traffic about speed records etc lately, I wonder how some of us oldsters would have matched up back thirty or so years ago when we were doing the same things but without the digital publicity. I was a fanatic trail runner then, but human entropy is the master of us all.