Cabot & Waumbek

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forty8

Reaction score
As I'm nearing the end of the 4's list, I find these two peaks standing in my way. What is the best way to knock them off? I have heard that some do both as separate day hikes, but all in one day by driving from one trailhead to another. Or, is it better to do them as two day hikes on different days, or as one long "death march", or as a backpack? Looking at the maps, the answer is not clear to me and I'd appreciate opinions.

Hi Forty8

I'd recommend them as 2 separate hikes (or an overnighter). You will have a lot of ups and downs.. With Cabot I'd recommend the kilkenny ridge over unknown pond & the Horn before reaching Cabot. You'll have awesome views from the Horn and can cool off at Unknown pond.

When ascending Waumbec you can either take the Starr King Trail over Mt. Starr King or ascend the North Side over Mt Weeks.

It can be done in a day but would make for a very long and probably tiring day.

I would recommend an overnight and thruhike of the Kilkenny Ridge Trail. Papabear and I did this last year with a shuttle assist from Peakbagger and it was a very enjoyable 2 days with great views, nice forests, 100 highest peaks, etc. By doing the hike this way you would be finishing the 4,000 footers and starting the New England 100 highest. Hey, why not - if you like lists?

I plan on going back there eventually to do some of the side trails and nearby 3,000 footers we missed. I love that part of the Whites, wish I lived closer!

Last edited:
funkyfreddy said:
I would recommend an overnight and thruhike of the Kilkenny Ridge Trail. By doing the hike this way you would be finishing the 4,000 footers and starting the New England 100 highest.
AND starting your section hike of the Cohos Trail to boot.
Good advice, this.

Kevin Rooney said:
As for Cabot - while the status of the Mt Cabot trail (on the Jefferson side) is somewhat in dispute as to whether it's open officially (per USFS), I'm satisfied that there's legal access to the trail, and the 'no-hiking' signs posted by an adjoining landowner have been removed for many months. I may be chided by some here for saying this, but ... that's my point of view.
I agree with Kevin, the boyscout troop that maintains the cabin on Mt Cabot uses this trail regularly. I spoke with their leader last summer who said he hadn't seen any signs.

Both my trips were Bunnell notch-Unknown Pond over Cabot, the Bulge and Horn as a loop. The Horn has one of New England's best summits IMO.

Do it as a death march and you can knock 8 off your 3000 footer list. (Horn, Bulge, Cabot, Terrace, N Weeks, M Weeks, S Weeks, Waumback). You may not be doing the 3k's now but you will. (What else are you going to do after you finish the 4k's, spend time with your family?)

Artex and myself will be doing an overnighter on the Kilkenny Ridge Trail next weekend, June 18-19. I think we'll spot a car at the Starr King Trailhead and start from South Pond. It looks to be about 24 miles total , perhaps 14 miles on Saturday, camping near Williard Notch. Neither of us have ever been on this trail, but it looks to be a very nice hike from what I am reading. Plus, we both need Cabot and Waumbek.

Tomorrow 20050611

I'll be going up and over Starr King to Waumbek tomorrow, will post on my experiences. It looks like a briefly easy day hike. Not like some of the other ones in my future as I continue my 4k quest.

Good Luck with getting them done!

A quick hiker should be aboe to do Waumbek in 3 or four hours at a leaisurly pace. I did it in three hours but no views, bugs & trying to get down before dark & into Gorham were big motivators.

A lot of walking along Kilkenny to do all in one trip, if looking to overnight or avoid people, it's a good trip though.