Where are the black flies ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sugarloafer

Reaction score
Bigelow Range from the top of White Nitro
Not that I'm complaining !! I figured that this weekend would have been prime time, but I spent Saturday hiking in Crawford Notch and did not see one black fly. I was prepared for the worst...long pants, long sleeve shirt, headnet and 100% deet, but didn't need any of it. Is there something unique to environment around there or is the season getting a late start ?

Sugarloafer said:
Not that I'm complaining !! I figured that this weekend would have been prime time, but I spent Saturday hiking in Crawford Notch and did not see one black fly. I was prepared for the worst...long pants, long sleeve shirt, headnet and 100% deet, but didn't need any of it. Is there something unique to environment around there or is the season getting a late start ?

If you really want them, go do Wilson and/or Breadloaf this weekend!!! :eek:

HUH?????? I did a short hike in Crawford Notch on Sunday and I got swarmed with black flies. Also killed about 4000 of them on Galehead on Fri. And thousands more on Moriah the weekend before.

- darren

F-16's were in out in force.

I didn't see any Blackflies in the southern Dacks this weekend. The creeks were mostly dry, perhaps this is why. The f-16's (My childhood name for deer flies) were a force to be reckoned with however.

Mike

They're baaaacccckkkk!

I was out last weekend and there were almost no black flies (in the Ethan Pond area) but did the Hancocks this weekend and they were brutal! We couldn't even linger on the summits as they were so bad. No problems with them down lower where we camped but hideous up high.

They were ALL on Gero Island

in Chesuncook Lake last weekend.. :eek:

MEB said:
In my ears, nose and mouth!! :D
Ewww, growing?

My parents warned me about potato bugs growing in my hair when I refused to take a shower when I was a kid in high school or college but this is outrageous!

-Dr. Wu

Did not see many black fles but coming down Edmands & on Clinton Road, mosquitos were relentless, even leaving dead mosquitos corpses on arms did not keep their brothers & sisters away :eek:

Mike P. said:
Did not see many black fles but coming down Edmands & on Clinton Road, mosquitos were relentless, even leaving dead mosquitos corpses on arms did not keep their brothers & sisters away :eek:

Hahahaha.... that's too funny. I've often left the dead ones on my arm and then yelled out something like: "Fellow bugs take note of your new fallen friends!" "They won't be coming back to the swarm anytime soon!".

Doesn't work for me either, but it's good to let off a little steam... :cool:

-Shayne

Up on the Androscoggin River this weekend the Black flies and Midges were brutal, particularly on Thursday night. I nearly walked off the stream around 7:30 PM as I could barely take it. It got better on the weekend - maybe bacause they had more targets to feast on?

darren said:
HUH?????? I did a short hike in Crawford Notch on Sunday and I got swarmed with black flies. Also killed about 4000 of them on Galehead on Fri. And thousands more on Moriah the weekend before.

- darren

You never know. I was on Mariah last Wednesday and we lounged on the summit for over an hour at high noon without even a fly-by. Of course, the mosquitos at Dolly Copp Campground had pretty much drained all the blood out of me the night before, so the flies werent missing much.

thanks,
denton fabrics

The black flies held a convention in Baxter State Park this weekend. They invited their competitors as well. I was on the menu for three straight days. (But, it's still my favorite place to be.)

The black flies, mosquitoes and some black spread-winged biting flies (similar in size to basic deerfly) were out in force Sunday on the Livermore Road and South Tripyramid Loop Trail. Anyone know the name for those flies, or are they another type of deer fly? Would strongly suggest avoiding that trail for a while. This was the buggiest hike I have ever taken in NH. Have endured worse in Western Maine and the Adirondacks, however.

I hike every Saturday and I haven't been bothered yet! Using rakes and shovels in my own yard is another story :( I've been using Cutter 28% Deet )