Coyote Encounter on Day Hike ??

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjo

Reaction score
Planning my next hiking trip to the "whites"in a few months. Last week while training on a short day hike here in N. Illinois, my yellow lab and I encountered a Coyote in a very much "stalking" mode. He continued to go back and forth and draw closer as I held him @ bay with a 2" log I stumbled on. He was persistant and I finally had to leave my dog and pursue him w the log which made him retreat for about 15 sec. As we headed back toward the car, he continue to stalk us showing up at different points on the trail. My 85 lb lab is very docile (typical of the breed). I continued to make noise w the log and all finally ended OK as we arrived at the car. I reported to the Park service and they stated he was probably about 45-50 Lbs and only curious.(rrright..)We have had many several serious coyote attacks in this area (generally small to large animals) and they usually act as a pack...
What's your take on coyote danger? (anywhere)
Are there any in the whites??
It scared me a bit and alerted to me the bigger danger of a pack acting as a group. They appear to be fearless and relentless as well as mangy, ugly. My small knife and log probably would have been no match for a "pack". Love to hear your thoughts...

I had a similar encounter in the woods behind my house in southern NH recently. What was so unnerving is that the coyote basically showed no fear at all and kept following me for about 1/4 of a mile, staying too close for comfort for me. I turned around and took a different trail back, and he seemed to lose interest. I went back out there a few times since but have not seen him. Thankfully!

There are coyotes in the Whites. Local residents witnessed a pack take down a deer in Intervale this past winter.

They seem to be just about everywhere. I have heard of coyote sightings in NY city. I'm skeptical, but the source is an NYPD lieutenant who hunts frequently in upstate NY and knows a coyote when he sees one.

I do not believe that humans need to fear coyote. Watch out for your cat, though.

Steve

Last edited:
Coyote

jjo - sounds very scary. Maybe it was an animal in bad shape, and was looking for an easy meal (your dog). I hope that the log was 2" in diameter and not in length
all the coyotes that I ever have seen have always been very fearful and ran off. But then I do not hike with a dog. This incident is a good argument for why dogs should always be kept on a leash. I am sure that the coyote would have made short work of your dog if you had not been there to protect him.

I still always say that I feel safe in the woods form the 4-legged animals. But the most dangerous ( read destructive) that I have encountered would be those mice. Two tents with holes chewed in them. And don't get me started on leantos

Last edited:
sp1936 said:
I have heard of coyote sightings in NY city.

It was on the local news a few years ago, and it sure looked like a coyote. It was living in a cemetery. There are a lot of places within the city limits of New York that are not entirely 'urban', e.g. Central park, a lot of Staten Island, Jamaica Bay, some parts of Bronx, etc.

I can think of two possible reasons why the coyote was so interested in you and your lab. Most likely your lab

1. coyote viewed your dog as possible competition

or

2. your dog was in heat (?)

I would not worry about the coyote. They're fearless, pretty much, as in they just don't give a darn. I operate incredibly loud, heavy, machinery that travels at very high speeds, and they'll just sit there watching me coming towards them before moving at the very last moment. Funny stuff.

They are, quite frankly, incredible creatures, filling a valuable predator niche that has been void for quite some time, and adapting quickly to new environments, such as suburban and urban scapes. They work solo, or in packs, and they'll do what they have to do to eat. As mentioned, watch your pets, but I wouldn't worry about yourself-- unless it has rabies or something, obviously. Enjoy the experience.

brianW said:
I can think of two possible reasons why the coyote was so interested in you and your lab. Most likely your lab

1. coyote viewed your dog as possible competition

or

2. your dog was in heat (?)

My dog is 2 yr old male yellow lab (neutered). He showed no fear and probably viewed the coyote as a new "playmate" The coyote to me was fearless and wanted ( I think) an easy meal. I shudder to think of encountering a pack. Maybe I need a bigger knife AND club. Yes it was 2" diameter and about 6 ft long. Maybe sharp tipped treking poles would help...

They should be nocturnal, so one that "interested" during the day is sick, hungry or both.
They hunt in packs and are known to "bait" dogs into chasing one coyote right into the pack. Bad news for your dog. I suppose if your Lab is a female the coyote may have been following less deadly instincts, but not likely.
Coyotes that look matted are suffering from mange which can kill a dog and severly scar people. You probably should have stayed with your dog, as there was most likely other coyotes in the area. Coyote are everywhere. Most states have no real closed seasons or "bag" limits on coyote which indicates they have reached population levels where they may lose their protected "game" status all-together and be treated as any pest is.

Orphic Seth said:
I would not worry about the coyote. Enjoy the experience.

Obviously I disagree with Seth. It's disturbing enough being trailed by a healthy domestic dog with unknown intent with yours on a leash.
There is nothing enjoyable about being followed by a wild dog with questionable intent. Adding in the possible exposure to rabies or mange for you and the dog, the best course is to remove yourself from the area ASAP.

Chip said:
They should be nocturnal, so one that "interested" during the day is sick, hungry or both.
They hunt in packs and are known to "bait" dogs into chasing one coyote right into the pack. Bad news for your dog. I suppose if your Lab is a female the coyote may have been following less deadly instincts, but not likely.
Coyotes that look matted are suffering from mange which can kill a dog and severly scar people. You probably should have stayed with your dog, as there was most likely other coyotes in the area. Coyote are everywhere. Most states have no real closed seasons or "bag" limits on coyote which indicates they have reached population levels where they may lose their protected "game" status all-together and be treated as any pest is.

I don’t think coyotes are truly nocturnal. Probably about 80% of my encounters with coyotes have been during the daylight hours. Most of these animals looked and acted healthy.

"Habitat and Habits
The coyote is a nocturnal animal, active during the nighttime hours. However, when it is less threatened by man, it will hunt and move from place to place during the day. The coyote will hunt in unrelated (non-family) pairs or large groups, in search of small mammals including shrews, voles, and rabbits."

Okay; nocturnal by nature, but when sick, hungry or less threatened, will hunt during the day.

I saw one cross a street and walk along a sidewalk for about 50 feet in downtown Providence, RI about a month ago. It was about a 1/4 mile north of the Providence Place Mall. I was only about 25 feet from it at one point and it didn't seem to care at all. Kinda scary....

roadtripper said:
I saw one cross a street and walk along a sidewalk for about 50 feet in downtown Providence, RI about a month ago. It was about a 1/4 mile north of the Providence Place Mall. I was only about 25 feet from it at one point and it didn't seem to care at all. Kinda scary....

Lots of coyotes here in R.I. I've got some that pretty much dwell just off my property line behind my backyard. On occasion I'll see one during the day but I do hear them at night especially this time of year. That's why the guy in my avatar stays in the house, no matter how much he meows to go out.

I work not too far from the Providence Place Mall. I'll keep my eyes open if walking in that area.

The Cabot Contingent of the VFTT Winter Gathering experienced Coyote (we assumed) howling after dark on our infamous trek back in January. Can't speak for the others, but I was damn glad to have had company!

Bob

Coyotes are every where here in Ct. I have had them in my backyard. They do eat cats that are outside sometimes, but haven't bothered people. There are so many here in Ct, I believe there is an open hunting season on them. I have seen many at my place in southern NH. Everytime I have come across one in NH, it has taken off. That would make me somewhat nervous haveing one follow me. I still would not view a coyote as a threat to an adult.

Coyote are creatures of opportunity and will hunt whenever there is a meal...period. Ive hunted song dogs, and killed em during the day. Not a sick, scraggly dog either. If they hear food, then it dont matter how high or low the sun is. As a matter of fact your likely to see lots of dawn and sunset activity as that is the general time of many of their prey animals movements. The problem is that the coyote is a very adaptable and aggressive creature. Thier only major natural competition (wolf) was basically exterminated by man. This is why they have managed to become the most prolific wild dog in all of North America. Generaly they tend not to be a pack animal (except for when birtyhing and caring for pups as they grow to adulthood.) As a whole I wouldnt worry about them too much. Just be aware that they are a possibly encounterable threat, just like a bear or moose. If you are worried enough to want to carry protection then a good, stout, fixed blade sheath knife is your best bet. But Id bet the knife offers more psychological comfort than it would ever be needed. Your most likely to have problems with coyotes living close to cities, suburbs and other heavily populated areas. The Fish and Game from time to time contemplates placing bounties on them and even recently a summer night hunting season was considered. For now they remain huntable (with proper lic.) year round with no daily or yearly limits. There is also a winter night season.
Brian

NewHampshire said:
Generaly they tend not to be a pack animal
After hearing some other reports of pack behavior (pack hunting of deer), I asked a wildlife biologist about same. He said that coyotes have been moving into the vacant wolf niche--including pack behaviors.

Doug