?Storm damage in ADKs on 6/13?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat T

Reaction score
Anyone have first hand knowledge of storm damage in the ADKs from yesterday's (Monday, 6/13) rains?

I saw a newspaper report saying the Northway was closed in both directions between Exits 23 and 25 and that there had been in excess of 3" of rain in some places west and north of Lake George.

Pat T

Northway Detour

Pat T said:
I saw a newspaper report saying the Northway was closed in both directions between Exits 23 and 25 and that there had been in excess of 3" of rain in some places west and north of Lake George.

I-87 Northway in both directions : from Exit 23 - Warrensburg County Route 35 to Exit 25 - Chestertown, Route 8 road closed to traffic, flooding

Northbound Detour: Exit 23, left turn onto County Road 35/Diamond Point Road, right turn onto Route 9 North, right turn onto Route 8 and re-enter I-87 at Exit 25.

Southbound Detour: Exit 25, right turn onto Route 8, left turn onto Route 9 South, left turn onto County Road 35/Diamond Point Road, re-enter I-87 at Exit 23.

Motorists heading for Bolton Landing need to use Exit 22 to Route 9N north.

Last edited:
On the news

I just watched the noon news and they don't know when the Northway will be reopened. A culvert was damaged under the Northway and they have to clean it out before they can see how much damage there is.

They were reporting from the location where the road bed was caved in and it looks like it will take more than just a quick fix. :(

I just spent 3 days at Rollins Pond, and missed all the rain. What a disruption for the residents and businesses there.

It may actually be good for local businesses on the detour portion of Route 9, instead of having traffic zoom by on the Northway.

I just saw the footage on the local news. It looked like the Macomb slide across the Northway. Two and three foot boulders everywhere. Gaping chunks of highway missing. Your typical California coast highway scene. They're hpoing for one lane in each direction in another day, and the Gov. has promised all resources to get it back in shape by next week.

Plan on an extra 1/2 hour to an hour. Or make up for it before exit 23, and after exit 25. Right Inge ... ;)

What makes you think she won't be making up for it on Route 9?

Doc, you mentioned that the Govenor had promised all resources will be used to reopen the Nway as soon as possible. Channel 10 news this morning quoted Mr.Pataki as saying that work would be going on around the clock to clear the road, but 10 reported that work had stopped around midnight, possibly because of union regulations.

Hopefully, the small towns along the detour will be able to handle the increase in traffic. Can you imagine if this happened in Clifton Park, Colonie or Saratoga?

Like I posted in Tim's forum, if there's an up side to this, there's some diners in Warrensburg that serve a mean burger!

Pat, the local weatherman reported that the Bolton area received 6 inches of rain in that storm.

Last edited:
050614_mudslide_5.jpg

It doesn't look as bad as yesterday. At least one lane in each direction is driveable. If the culvert is in ok shape, then they would just need to backfill and pave.

They may be able to open up with just one lane in each direction sooner.

Hey THERE!!

Now what's this about me making up for it before , after, or during???!!!

Rivet! Thanks for posting the photo. It is incredible! (And to think that HIKERS cause damage during "mud season"??!!!

Reformed, but still hiking!
Inge :)