Twins, Guyot, Zealand, Hale 6/18 or 19/2005

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dugan

Reaction score
via North Twin Trail to North Twin Spur to Twinway to Lend-a-Hand to Hale Brook Trail Between 16.5-17 miles.

After realizing that this lovely break in the weather is supposed to last through the weekend, I began looking at maps tonight. I was looking at an out-and-back for the Twins, but this looks so much better; however, it requires a car at each end, one at the trailhead for North Twin Trail on Haystack Road and another at Hale Brook on Zealand Rd.

Unfortunately, Dugan the four-legged has yet to learn how to drive a stick shift so he's no help in spotting a car. Anyone interested in joining me and the pooch, and helping to spot a car at one end?

I'd prefer Saturday the 18th since it's supposed to be cooler.

Two things.

1) Haystack Road isn't open yet. :( Parking on Little River Road adds about a mile to the hike in to the North Twin Trail parking area.

2) The abandoned Hale Fire Wardens Trail descends the west side of Mt. Hale and intersects the North Twin Trail near the second crossing of the Little River. Makes for a nice loop. I believe this old trail is still used regularly though I've yet to hike it.

I've been waiting for Haystack Road to open to hike the loop.

Take the old Firewardens Trail off Hale back down to N. Twin Trail and you won't need a car spot.

Could you please provide more information about the Fire Warden's trail. I do not see it referenced on the Lost Trails site, or in either of my WMG's. Is it easy to find/follow? Any ideas how it might affect milage?

Thank you!

It's fairly easy to follow from the top of Hale, once you find it. You have to look around a bit, but once you are on it, its obvious. It goes basically along the summit ridge in a north/northwest direction. It seems like it is being partially maintained, but the portion near the summit of Hale has been intentionally not cleared. It will bring you right down to the Little River, then just follow the river north about .3 mile until you intersect the North Twin trail at it's first crossing of the river.

Dugan,

From the summit of Hale, head due West and at the treeline you will see a herd path heading down. It is very easy to follow (even in winter), though if you are accustomed to maintained trails, you might want long pants to handle the shin high folliage that you will be hiking thru...

It's a beautiful "unmaintained" trail that heads thru gorgeous birch sections, so if you take it you won't be dissapointed. And as previously mentioned, you won't need a car spot (it comes out a little over a mile in from the N. Twin Trail Head).

I would join you, but I will be in California :)

Have fun!

Plan B, in case Haystack Rd remains closed - the road closure page hadn't been updated since 6/9 when I checked earlier today

Hale Brook to Hale summit, old Fire Warden Trail to North Twin Trail to summit of North Twin. North Twin Spur to South Twin. Twinway to Zealand trail, Zealand Trail to Zealand road. I think this would be about 19 miles, a mile less without the roadwalk between the two trailheads on Zealand Rd.

Plan B sounds good

Still planning on Saturday?
Twin Mountain area forecast

Looks a little warmer on Sunday, but less humid, fewer clouds, and less chance of rain. Either day works for me.

Edit: By the way, HAPPY BIRTHDAY Dugan.... You're planning quite a hike for only being 3 years old today. :D (according to your profile)

Last edited:
Maybe only 3, but multiply that by four legs and the fact that the human carries everything and ...

Thanks for the weather link. Despite a greater chance of rain, I still prefer Saturday. It sounds like it should be less sunny, which means it'll be cooler for the dog.

Send a PM or email if you'd like to join us.