Colorado

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike D.

Reaction score
I am heading out to Colorado the 2nd week of July and I am trying to find a site i can find out trail and area conditions. Does anyone know of any good ones I can check out, thanks, Mike D.

Mike D I will be there next week , Whre do you plan on going?
I know CO very well I might be able to give you some ideas.
here are two web cameras one of Longs Peak In RMNP
The other of Mts Massive and Elberet about 12 miles or so west of Leadvile

Longs Peak http://www.nps.gov/romo/images/netcam.jpg
Keep in mind you can only see the image in the day light hours and Co is 2 hrs behind us

Mts Massive and Elbert http://www.lakecountyschools.net/news.htm

If you have not been there I can also give some genral advice about hiking in CO and suggest some books.
I will porbably post some sort of trip report and try to post some photos.

SLI whre are you headed to in CO ?

Sli if you are comfortable on moderately exposed class 3 climbing Longs Peak is unforgetable yes it is very popular and you will not be alone.
Grays and Torreys Peaks are with in a hour of Denvere ,easy walk ups both are also very popular being easy and right off I 70 Tale the Lovaland Pass exit .
Iknow you climbed Mt Elbert so you might Also like La Plata Peak the trail head is right off RT 82 it is called Clear creek road. If you want a 3 day backpack I highly recomend Snowmass lake a very bueatiful hike. the clib it self is not to tought but steep and the summit ridge is p Amzaing it is Narrow and exciting but never to the point of being technical . The Views are spectaualr. Then there is the Maroon Bells and Praymid Peak if you want some exitment and a element of danger are comfortable on lose crimbling rock at angles exceeding 45 degrees and are willing tioo start hiking at 4 Am or earlier. If you do Climb any of the last there you will nevere forget it. The Valley the peaks tower over along with the peaks them selves are one of my favorite places to be. Although they a have Special meaning for me personally .

I will post something about the Elks Sometime in July I am headed out there next week ! I can't wait !
You can also Email me If you want more indepth info stuff you might not find in the books. Such as places to stay that are not expensive and where to get a great meal after a hike. not otmention things about te actuall hiking .

Another useful website that covers many of Colorado's peaks is
www.summitpost.org

I like the Colorado weather's dependability in that usually you start out with clear blue skies early then and few fair weather clouds in the morning and thunderheads building by early afternoon with thunderstorms and showers in the afternoon and evening. Then the next day you get the same thing all over again. So, the key is to get an early start, watch for thunderhead buildup, and be off the peak by or before noon, depending on that day's weather.

I hope to go out there in August myself.

What a nice picture of Longs Peak this morning. Lots of snow still, I visited it in early July of 2000 and there wasn't nearly as much.

Just got back from a week out there. Started in the Sangre de Cristo's - did not quite make it to the top of Crestone Needle due to a longer than expected approach (I chickened out taking a rented Durango up a truly rough 4WD road and we ended up hiking it instead). Then up to climb Elbert, then a failed attempt on Mt. Democrat's south face (both in the Leadville area). If I had it to do over again I'd plan more time in the Sangre's. Truly impressive mountains, rugged and wild.

There are several excellent guidebooks with maps, the ones I have are by Gerry Roach: "Colorado14ers hikes and climbs" and the accompanying map book and CD package for that book. They are available at www.amazon.com

A friend of mine used them last year and found them excellent to use and accurate. (Unfortunately, I still need :( to get out there and do some 14'ers.)

Have a great time! :)