Mt. Greylock

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bintrepidhiker

Reaction score
With the threat of rain in the Whites higher than western Ma i elected for a change of scenery and did Mt Graylock; the tallest mountain in Massachusetts at 3,491 feet. There was a threat of rain there too but not as big so at 5 AM i was off.

Got in the area around 7:30 but didn't start hiking til just after 8 since i had problems finding the trail. There were no signs other than a small Appalachian Trail marker on one side of a telephone pole. So as you might have guessed i took the Appalachian Trail from Overlook Ave in Chestire to the summit. Wasn't bad going up really. Has 3-4 steep sections that are short then its pretty much a small incline or flat til you get closer to the summit. Trail was mostly on the muddy side thanks to the rain in the area the past week but that doesn't stop me any.

Took me 3 hours to reach the top. 6.8 miles in 3 hours isn't bad considering the book time is 3 hrs and 45 mins. Views were naturally not the greatest due to low clouds and fog but still got to see a little bit of the local area. After waling around the summit area and visiting the inside of the summit beacon tower i went into the lodge and had lunch before leaving at noon.

Naturally just as i left it started to rain, then pour and continued to do so until i reached the Jones Nose Trail junction 2.6 miles down and an hour later. I learned my rain coat doesn't repel that much water and soaks through so i need a new one of those that keeps me dryer. After i started down from the junction about 10 mins later i learned just how slippery wet leaves/wet rocks can be and took a nice spill. Caught one of my fingers on a tree branch going down and now its swolen and turning shades of black and blue. I'm thinking i dislocated it or just jammed it realy good. I'll see what tomorrow holds on that one. After that i treaded down carefully seeing the sun here and there naturally since i was heading out. Got back to my car around 3 so it was just under 7 hours total for the day.......6 hours and 15 mins hiking time to do 13.6 miles, my longest hike mileage-wise to date. Hopefully my injured hand doesn't keep me away from hiking next weekend :)

bintrepidhiker,
thanks for the trip report! i'm hoping to check out greylock in august or september....hope i don't break any digits! :eek:

masshysteria said:
b, sorry to hear about the finger, that's too bad! Im assuming you didn't have any problems with the parking.

nah after i drove by it 3 times i eventually looked up at the right time and saw the AT marker high up on a telephone pole and there was ample room for the car off the road some.