Maine Loon Cam

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waumbek

Reaction score
Avatar: "World's Windiest Place" Stamp (5/27/06)
The parents fought off mink attacks over the weekend. The minks attacked last year, too. If all goes well, the eggs should hatch June 24th. Stay tuned. I had been watching this loon cam from Gorham ME on a faster computer than home and it was fascinating. Here's the link. You'll need Windows Media Player 9 or higher.

Waumbek said:
The parents fought off mink attacks over the weekend. The minks attacked last year, too. If all goes well, the eggs should hatch June 24th. Stay tuned. I had been watching this loon cam from Gorham ME on a faster computer than home and it was fascinating. Here's the link. You'll need Windows Media Player 9 or higher.

Cool! Let us know if/when the eggs hatch.

Way cool! Loons are such awesome birds.

dentonfabrics said:
Waumbek, that is really cool stuff! You dont have the mink confrontation archived, do you?
thanks,
denton fabrics

Unfortunately, no, I was using a public terminal when I found this site. It must have been quite the battle, given the tenacity and aggressiveness of mink. Here's an archived still of what must be a mink sneaking in in 2004, but no loons are in sight.

Here is another loon cam.

http://www.nwf.org/wildlife/commonloon/webcam.cfm

*EDIT*
It looks like this site links to the same camera.

One of the eggs is starting to hatch.

egghatchingclose.jpg

Last edited:
way cool. i've sent this link to tons of friends. i didn't realize the egg was already cracking.

Yeah, I keep getting kicked off. Just keep clicking and eventually you should get on. For the record, the baby just went back under the shelter of the parent's right wing. You can hear the chick making little noises. It's really cool. :D

Only one?

I think I just caught the changing of the guard. The loon left the nest & went into the water, a few loud calls off camera, and another one (?) went in. Didn't catch the leg band.

Anyway, the chick was there, but it appears there's one egg still in the nest. Does anyone know if that one'll hatch? I assume they were laid a day or two apart, so they'd hatch a day or two apart.

They're gone! The adults move the chick into the water within a few hours, for safety's sake I guess. No long nestling phase for loons. Song birds stay in the nest up to 21 days before they fledge. The adult loons will feed the chick but it won't return to the nest for long. It looks to me like one unhatched egg is left behind in the nest. Without incubation I don't think it can remain viable for long.

Last edited:
drat! i missed the chick! i only got to see the mom sitting on it after it hatched. :mad:

won't that last egg be vulnerable to mink, etc?