Looking for suggestions!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueMtn

Reaction score
Hi all!
I am looking for short, rewarding hikes that are around the Campton, NH area. I live here and am trying to do some hikes after work hours. Given that dark happens around 9pm, the hikes will need to definitely be under 4 hours, 3 is preferred. I am not a super hiker-but am trying to get my legs back in shape so a lot of miles is not something i'm looking for on a week night. Thought this would be the best place to look! Thanks for your advice :D

You have several just down the street. First, the Welsh/Dickey loop is about a three hour hike with good views for moderate effort. Second, Sandwich Dome or Jennings Peak are both nice hikes and can be done within your time frame, as well as Osceola, and Tecumseh. If you up for the challenge, the Tripyramids offer a bit more of a workout.

There are several books you can purchase that will give you a wealth of information with which to choose a hike within your timeframe and ability. The Bible of hiking books is the AMC White Mountain Guide. Take a trip to Lincoln and stop in at the Mountain Wanderer and talk with Steve; I’m sure he can recommend a few books and hikes.

How about the Welch-Dickey Loop

4.4 miles, 1800' elev. gain, book time 3 hr. 5 min.

It's in nearby Thornton. The trailhead is about 7-8 miles from Campton. I haven't hiked it, but I understand the views are excellent.

edit: too slow I guess. :)

Welch Dickey loop comes to mind...I think the book time on this is less than three hours and is probalby doable a lot faster as mots of it is quite easy. Great views to the South Try and Mad River Valley.

Rattlesnake Mountain is close to Campton and fits your description of an easy hike. It is midway between Holderness and Center Sandwich. About a mile of easy hiking brings you to an outlook with great views of Squam Lake. The trail is on the SouthEast side of Rt. 113, there is a small parking lot on the NorthWest side. I hope the frost heaves on Rt. 113 are not as bad as they were earlier this year. You could have hidden a Volkswagon in some of those holes.

Wow! Ask and you shall receive :) I did the Welch-Dickey Loop yesterday. It was awesome, but that is what motivated me to hike more during the week. The book says easy but I was challenged. The rock slabs drove me nutty. I started at 9:15 am and finished at 1:30 (sat for lunch on the top too). Thank you all so much for replying!

If you do not wish to travel too far, another hike that offers several options would be off of the Livermore Road. Head down to Waterville Valley ski area access road and when the road forks, bear to the right. About a quarter mile down the road you will see a road to your right. Turn right and you are in the trailhead parking lot. From there, you can hike to the Tripyramids, Greeley Ponds, Goodrich Rock, or a host of other hikes.

Another short hike that I like is the Smarts Brook Trail. You can hike it up and back or as a loop with the xc ski trail. The trailhead is the first parking area on your right about a mile after the turn off to Sandwich Notch Road heading towards Waterville Valley. Good luck and have fun.

BlueMtn said:
Wow! Ask and you shall receive :) I did the Welch-Dickey Loop yesterday. It was awesome, but that is what motivated me to hike more during the week. The book says easy but I was challenged. The rock slabs drove me nutty. I started at 9:15 am and finished at 1:30 (sat for lunch on the top too). Thank you all so much for replying!

I totally agree with you Blue Mtn...I did the Welch-Dickey loop in April and while it is realtively easy compared to a lot of 4ks it was a lot more challenging than I expected, particualry after the first open areas you head towards Welch (going counter clockwise) and after Welch heading to Dickey. There are some large slabs I had to pretty much throw myself onto as I am only 5' 8"...I am sure many others just stepped over them. A great hike, but I am not so sure it is an easy family hike, like I thought it would be.

Take care,

Mike (sapblatt)

Maps!

I'm a map nut, so in addition to the White Mountain Guide, I'll suggest "Map of Hiking Trails in the Waterville Valley Area" by Waterville Valley Athletic and Improvement Assoc. (1994) This folded map has trail descriptions on the back. I think I bought mine in Campton, at the information area near the highway. I'll bet The Mountain Wanderer has it, too. Another favorite is the "Wonalancet Outdoor Club Trail Map and Guide to the Sandwich Range," which also has trail descriptions on the back.

A favorite moderate hike is the Mt. Morgan/Mt. Percival loop, which is on Rte. 113, between Sandwich and Holderness. The loop is 5.1 miles, with 1550 feet of elevation. There are other trails and nice hikes in this range. Check out the WMG, or the "Squam Trail Map" by the Squam Lakes Assoc. It's a beauty.

Or just Percival, 2nd getting the Waterville Valley map, I believe Snow is one of the Waterville hikes, also some side trails off Greeley Ponds & Jennings Peak on Sandwich Dome should be okay, some trails in area also don't go to peaks, East Pond is one that comes to mind but I don't have deatils on time, I'm a peakbagger so I only remember skipping by them on the map & in the car. :D

sapblatt said:
I totally agree with you Blue Mtn...I did the Welch-Dickey loop in April and while it is realtively easy compared to a lot of 4ks it was a lot more challenging than I expected, particualry after the first open areas you head towards Welch (going counter clockwise) and after Welch heading to Dickey. There are some large slabs I had to pretty much throw myself onto as I am only 5' 8"...I am sure many others just stepped over them. A great hike, but I am not so sure it is an easy family hike, like I thought it would be.

Mike, I know exactly what you mean. The AMC Guide says it's a moderate hike, but my fiance and I hiked it last September and the exposure kinda freaked her out. I was loving every minute of it, but I distinctly remember her saying something about having to "throw herself" onto the rock slabs. Then again, there were grade-school kids running around the summit, so I guess the "family hike" classification is arguable...

Three other short hikes come to mind.

1) Little East Pond/East Pond Loop - P. 309-310 in the White Mountain Guide - 27th edition. See my photos at: http://community.webshots.com/photo/278787457/279078429gnDRUw

2) Another pleasant walk to a nice pond is: Peaked Hill Pond. This is only a couple of miles north of Campton. P. 290 in White Mountain Guide - 27th edition.

3) Greeley Ponds - could get crowded. It is so lovely. P. 308-309 in the White Mountain Guide - 27th edition. See my photos H01-H16 at: http://community.webshots.com/photo/282723419/283552275LVkcRF

Also Fletchers Cascade is very nice shorter hike . I believe it's about 1 1/2 miles and doesn't really climb until the end . While sitting out on the cascades can see the ski area and part of the village .

BlueMtn,

Do you have this book? It covers quite a few trails in southern and central N.H. Ruth Doan is carrying on her father's work and doing a nice job of it.

I agree with all about Welch-Dickey. It's my favorite trail, the views are fantastic and I find it presents a decent enough challenge for just about any hiker. :)

Last edited:
The Scaur is a short hike off the Livermore Trail/Road. The trail down also leads to the Mad River but if the river is too high to cross bushwhack upstream and about 1/2 mile you come to a bridge on the Greeley Ponds Trail. From there you can go to the ponds or heading back, a nice side trip is Goodrich Rock which culminates in a ladder ascent of a hugh rock overlooking the valley.

Three Ponds and/or Carr Mountain (could be a challenging crossing at high water). There is a loop possible on the Three Ponds hike.

A look at the maps of the area could help you design your own interesting trips and I've found some of the old logging roads to be hikable even after years of being reclaimed by nature.

I don't have that book exactly, but I have the original, I think. Called 50 hikes in the White Mountains, same authors. I was reading it about 10 minutes ago! I have so many books it's hard to remember them all. I'll have to get the newest version. Also, i've been in the Mountain Wanderer MANY times, what a great guy the owner is! He is very helpful. Tonight is going to be beautiful so I may do Three Ponds or Rattlesnake..not sure yet. Thank you again for the recommendations :D