Masters treking poles??

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjo

Reaction score
Stumbled on a "Masters" line of treking poles on Killer Deals and Trekkingpoles.com. Excellent value (one has cork grip, A/S, 2 baskets and compacts to 24" with retail under $60)but I don't know much about the company or its poles. Anyone have experience w them? Thanks...

Yep! I believe they are an Italian company. I find the poles to be very sturdy--I use them for BC skiing, so they get a lot of abuse! Someone at an outdoor store (Wilderness House, I believe) told me they were a great value. I've found that to be true. I also like the cork grip instead of plastic.

I would check and see if you are able top turn off the antishock. I know someone who bought poles that had antishock, but they were only antishock. Theses poles were made by some Italian company. Antishock is great for going down hills but a waste of energy going up hill. The guy who bought those poles made up some plastic pieces that he puts in the mechanism to make them non antishock, but he must take the poles apart to put the stops into place.

Bit the bullet...

Being that this is my first set of trekking poles, I went easy: Ordered today through Outdoor gear exchange (Amazon) a set of Masters Kompressor KS. Good deal I thought: 24" collapsed, cork grip, Anti Shock, 2 baskets for about $60. Backpacker rated this the top pole a few years back. Anxious to try. Didn't feel like investing right out of the gates $150 in the ubiquitous Leki's which probably is a better pole. I also didn't like the A/S adjustment in the Lekis. Let the trials begin...

ripple said:
I would check and see if you are able top turn off the antishock. I know someone who bought poles that had antishock, but they were only antishock. Theses poles were made by some Italian company. Antishock is great for going down hills but a waste of energy going up hill. The guy who bought those poles made up some plastic pieces that he puts in the mechanism to make them non antishock, but he must take the poles apart to put the stops into place.

The Masters has an easy off/on switch (turn the handle) near the grip that controls the anti shock. Seem sturdy and I like the cork grip.

good customer service

I have a set of Master's tele poles that I use for hiking. I have broken one section(abuse) and lost a section on a bushwack. Each time I called Master's distributer up in VT and they sent me a new section. Once for free!

Masters Ranger

I have the Masters Ranger poles. They are 3-section and do not have shock absorbing capability. I bought them on-line at, I think it was backcountrystore.com. I seem to remember something around $50-55. Grips are contoured ribbed rubber, maybe not as good as cork, but I like them okay. I like the adjustable straps so that bare handed to gloves is easy. Also broke a tip off one day betweek rocks coming down to Mizpah, later replaced at Sport Thoma in Woodstock (they carry the poles and parts).

-TrekMan

JJO,

Strongly suggest gettting hard rubber tips for the poles for hiking in the Whites. I find they offer much better grip on the rocks than any metal tip does. Also, softer on the hand. A day of click, click, clicking on rocks with metal tipped poles can put me over the edge.

Others may think differently. A definite YMMV thing.

Poles are here...

Rec'd the Masters compressor poles and basically, like them. They do have soft rubber tips in the kit along w 2 baskets. A/S works well and easy on/off switch. My only concern (a big one) is the specs showed them to be collapsible to 61cm (24") which would fit perfectly in my luggage. They are in fact over 26" so only option is to return or dismantle on trips. Other than that, they seem to be good poles!Jerry