Huntington Ravine Trail Question:

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

professor

Reaction score
I am considering heading up the Huntington Ravine Trail over the 4th of July. Does anyone know if it is reasonable to expect that it will be clear of ice and snow by that point?

Here's a live pic of the ravines from Wildcat. Click on the picture to enlarge it. Huntington is on the viewer's right and looks pretty clear. Temps were on the summit of Washington has been quite warm in the last couple of weeks.
Ravine Cam

You should have no problem with snow and ice on the trail. IF there is any left, it will likely only be in the deepest of gullies.

Hope you have good weather ....... it's a lot of fun. The Alpine Garden is great, too. Don't forget the camera and sunscreen.

Quietman said:
Here's a live pic of the ravines from Wildcat. Click on the picture to enlarge it. Huntington is on the viewer's right and looks pretty clear. Temps were on the summit of Washington has been quite warm in the last couple of weeks.
Ravine Cam
Best in the mid-morning when the sun is on the ravines.

Doug

No snow or ice. I hiked this trail up to the Alpine Garden last two weeks ago; there is a trip a report from 6-11-05.

Happy Trails!

did you end up doing Huntington?
we were there on saturday - what an amazing day. I thought it would be easier the second time around... WRONG! :D

Still plannning on checking it out this upcoming weekend. How does the climb compare to ADK steep climbs, like the Saddleback ascent from the col facing Basin, or slides such as E. Dix, or Giant?

lots of fun

Most of the steep parts are only 8 to 10 feet long, except above the fan, which is about 25 foot slab of slick rock.If you have sticky soles you can walk right up. This is my second favorite trail and going through the alpine garden ( I don't go to the top, uses up too much of my energy ) and down the boot spur is an awesome hike.

grog

professor said:
How does the climb compare to ADK steep climbs, like the Saddleback ascent from the col facing Basin, or slides such as E. Dix, or Giant?

A picture is worth a thousand words ...... check out the trip report and really good pics from Dave Metsky's site HERE.

Huntington Ravine is more exposed than most ADK slides, but similar in regards to ease of finding handholds and footholds. The ADK's generally offer shorter/quicker escape routes in bad weather. Huntington's would not be fun in bad weather.

Enjoy ....... you'll love it.

I hike in both the Daks and the Whites and would consider Huntington to be harder than anything in the Adirondacks. I say this because from the base of the fan to the top is constant, you only get small breaks in between class 3 moves. There is never a point on the trail where it is too much for one person handholds are always around. It really hard to compare Huntington to anything in the Daks.

Most find this part to be the hardest. I find its quite easy compared to some moves nearing the top of the ravine.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/379545781/379575480dMnzOa

It is nothing more than a slab with a crack that is easily climbed. I brought climbing shoe hybrid ACGs for the fan and was not dissapointed. I am thinking of taking a trip back to Huntington this weekend.

For me, Huntington's was pretty easy, easier than say Trap Dike>Colden Slide, where I found the exposure on the slide above the dike a bit unnerving at times. Huntington's lacks the same exposure. Both are must-dos.