Allen

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjk

Reaction score
My better half and I hope to complete her 46 this weekend with a trip up Allen (saving the best for last?)

Does anyone have info on this hike? I seem to get conflicting reports about the preferred route. Is it still in terrible shape from blowdowns? Recommended places to camp? Is the route marked at all or is the herd path evident?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Unless there has been some change over the winter, there should be no route-finding issues on this one. My only concern would be with the bridge on Lake Jimmy and the early summer rains.

As I recall there was a place where you could camp near the waterfall where the herd path begins the actual climb of Allen. It is right at the base of the mountain. There seemed to be a few possibles along the path in the last half mile before the waterfall. We had camped there some time ago but that was before the big blow in the late ninety's.

Sounds like a great hike

never been there, I like hiking, outdoors in the wilderness, I would like to explore other parts of the world

I also finished my 46 on Allen and climbed it again earlier this month. It is a long hike, I have always done it as a day hike, approximately 19 miles. But most of the 19 miles are on nearly flat trails and logging roads and thus very fast and easy. Many people do camp and make it a 2-day or 3-day trip. State land is pretty far from the trailhead so you will have to carry your overnight gear quite a ways in (can't camp on private land). There is almost no blowdown and it is generally very straight forward. The herd path is marked with some occasional flagging but it isn't really needed. The description in the latest ADK High Peaks guidebook is accurate and current and should be read before trying it.

I have a trip report, that gives a pretty fair trail description (I've been told anyway :rolleyes: ). It's from last year and it's my understanding the trail has not changed markedly in that time. Maybe a fallen tree here and there.

Godd luck and I hope it helps :)

Our impression was that with all of the signs ('go here,' 'don't go here') paint splotches, ribbons, etc. you really couldn't get lost. Only one stretch did we have to mind our p's and q's -- a few places during the couple of miles before Skylight Brook. Speaking of that brook, I don't know how much of an issue that is, if any, after heavy rains. Enjoy the walk through the open fields and the new ecosystem that has been created. Watch out for the slimy rocks in Allen Brook. Mavs00's report is a good one to read, as is the ADK guide book. I believe that both popular camping spots at Skylight Brook and Allen Brook are illegal. We thought the gravel roads were tough on the feet.

Enjoy your hike.

Dick

Check out the trip reports
I just hiked Allen on Saturday
The trail is clearly marked even the herd path
All sharp turns are well labeld as to TRAIL or ALLEN
There are some muddy areas in the low grassy locations and the brook is wet but all stram crossing are bridged or you have plenty of rocks to cross with. there is the ocassional blowdown to step over but nothing to speak of really.
There is red tape in locations at the end of gravel openings and yellow disks
at the start of the herd path to the end of private land where there are no markings. the herd path is well defined. At some locations up Allen brook it runs along the brook left side and then crosses to the right. In reality as long as you keep climbing and follow the brook you are going the right way. Watch where the brook peters out and pick up the herd path running in the top of the brook and then into the woods for the rest of the climb and the ridge crossing. Have fun. In all honesty it wasn't bad. You get a little tired on the road walk out. Also there is plenty of spots to filter water.
Have a great hike
Al

Last edited:
I hiked Allen in October '03. Since much of the approach is private land, the herd path is well marked... extremely well marked. It's the most grotesquely over-marked trail in all of the Adirondacks. For example, at one point there are crudely made yellow disks nailed to what seemed like every other tree. There's a big sign that says, "HERD PATH'. On a section of the wooded (state land?) farther in, somebody hacked blazes into live trees at similar intervals.

Although there are some parts that are not as well marked, you'll do fine. As far as camping (if I remember correctly), you'll have to hike back almost to Skylight Brook to legally camp on state land. You'll have fun on this one; good luck to you both on your special hike, and be sure to post a trip report!

As already stated, a very straight forward hike. There are numerous signs to direct you, unless you're talking too much and not paying attention, then you might add a mile or three.

Dick mentioned the illegal camping sites at Skylight and Allen Brks. Both are next to the water, but do get used. The often mentioned red moss on the Allen slide is slippery, and you will fall, be prepared. Dick is also correct about the stones in the gravel logging roads being tough on the feet. Being that half that hike is on shadeless roads and logging areas, the sun and heat are also factors to contend with.

Most of all, stay on the herd path, and respect the property owners wishes. Their kindness in allowing hikers to cross their land should not be strained.

Congratulations to your wife for achieving her 46!

Last edited:
mike1889 said:
I also finished my 46 on Allen and climbed it again earlier this month. It is a long hike, I have always done it as a day hike, approximately 19 miles. But most of the 19 miles are on nearly flat trails and logging roads and thus very fast and easy. Many people do camp and make it a 2-day or 3-day trip. State land is pretty far from the trailhead so you will have to carry your overnight gear quite a ways in (can't camp on private land). There is almost no blowdown and it is generally very straight forward. The herd path is marked with some occasional flagging but it isn't really needed. The description in the latest ADK High Peaks guidebook is accurate and current and should be read before trying it.

I am with Mike on this one. If you think you can handle it definately do a day hike. I have contemplated camping verse day hiking and I think when I do Allen I am definately dayhiking it. I cant see packing all my gear 8+ miles then having to pack it out again dog tired. DAYHIKE it is for me :D Whatever you choose to do good luck and congrats on the 46.

Adam

Thanks for the myriad of great suggestions. It seems the hike will be more straightforward than I had envisioned.

I'll take a close look at the map re: camping. We talked about dayhiking it, but we're also using the trip as a way to get out of the major holiday crowds. If you happen to be in the area, we'll be uncorking a celebratory Long Trail Ale or two at our campsite sometime Saturday evening.

And to clarify: It's her 46th, not mine. I've got a ways to go.

Hope to see you there. We'll be hiking in on Saturday, camping at Skylight Brook, and doing Allen on Sunday - number 41 for me, and 11 for my daughter. It should be a lovely weekend. Karen

I might run into you, though I'm more likely to hike Allen on Monday (either way as a dayhike) as that would be far easier on my schedule.

The Sunday forecast sure does look tempting though! :cool:

Just did Allen a week or so ago as a day hike and everyone has described the hike in great detail-my only comments/additions are that the descent down Allen Brook can be very slippery[it was when I did it] and it took our group longer to complete than planned-with a few falls-

and ,as mentioned by others, the brooks were passable,but ,some in our group did struggle a bit[this was just after all the rain that lead to the mud-slides in Bolton that closed the Northway]

As noted by many,this is a day hike-10-13 hours -I would estimate-for most hikers-We had 15 or so[in 2 groups] including veteran, rabbit type hikers,moderate/average and a slower group.

Im sure some folks have done it in under 10 and others took longer than 13, but ,it appeared we had a good representative sample[and the weather was good]

I think it is one of the best. (Number 3 on my top three for the Forty-Sixers.)

One thing I'd like to point out: Relatively early in the hike, while following some roads and wide, muddy stretches that seem like roads, the trail does leave unexpectedly to the left.

You'll be on a wide logging road which makes a right turn then heads straight toward an open field; the trail will suddenly disappear into the woods on the left. It's easy to miss, so keep an eye open for an arrow and/or trail marker on that side.

The trail goes a short distance through the woods then comes out onto the nicest stretch of road you'll follow (nicest for vehicles, that is). Turn left onto the road and follow a long, long way, past a gate, before picking up the trail again. I don't think there was more than one trail marker along that road.

I can't picture what comes next, I'm afraid.

Just don't miss that turn, or you'll end up in the area where we're not supposed to be, and waste time trying to figure out where to go.

The left turn takes you around Lake Sally on the west side of the lake.
You wont see the lake until you have made the left and have walked a few minutes. There is a small wood sign 3"x12" with a yellow arrow and the word TRAIL
Al

Best Route

I have some friends who are planning on doing Allen tomorrow (Saturday 2nd) and want to know how to get to the trailhead. I suspect from these trail descriptions that most people go in from Upper works.
How does this route compare to going in from Elk Lake Loj, taking the trail up towards Panther gorge and bushwacking from the East?

Enjoy your 46th!!

prino said:
How does this route compare to going in from Elk Lake Loj, taking the trail up towards Panther gorge and bushwacking from the East?

Enjoy your 46th!!

:eek: The only people craz......, errrr I mean Adventurous, to do try that route have not given glowing reviews :eek:

Ask Pin Pin, he posted a report on it a ways back. Thick and piled high with perverted amouts of blowdown.