Moosilauke question.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadRiver

Reaction score
I’m taking some novice hikers (one 13 and one 17 year old) up Moosilauke this Saturday and from the trail descriptions, it seems like Gorge Brook Trail would be the best route (I’ve only hiked the Beaver Brook Trail). Is that correct? Also, is there ample parking at the lodge and is the access road off of 118 well marked?

Mad River

I Hiked the Gorge Brook trail from the lodge on the 18th of June, the trail had a relatively easy incline and got a bit (but not too much) steeper towards the summit.

Once you get on 118 the access road is a dirt road 7.1 miles on your right. There is plenty of parking on the access road, It may require a bit of walking depending on the time you arrive. DO NOT park at the circle at the end of the road. It's a bus turn around and according to a sign at the circle they will crush your car.

Your kids should love it.

Gorge Brook Trail is the way to go. I have done this trail with kids a number of times. They all thought that it was pretty easy.

Gorge Brook

I agree, Gorge Brook was relatively easy by White Mountain standards, especially for a 4800 ft. mountain. Lots of switchbacks up high make it less steep. Loooovvvved Moosilauke, enjoy.

Oh yea, and make the loop down the carraige road and the snapper trail. Real nice loop about 7 or so miles. I found the carraige road rather interesting and its pretty easy going on the way down. As you could imagine being an old...well...carraige road. Hence the name..... :D

Except the nice trailbed you experienced was a result of taking a 10 ton excavator up there in the 1990's and reclaiming the footbed from being a ditch. :) The trail is mostly in the same place as the original Carriage Road but there's been a lot of work done in recent years.

The Moosilauke Ravine Lodge trailhead is the second highest in the Whites, at approx 2500', which is why it seems like a gentle hike for a 4802' mountain. You're starting halfway up.

I'm a big fan of the up Gorge Brook down Carriage Road/Snapper loop. Don't forget the run up to South Peak.

-dave-

I'll agree with everyone else, up Gorge Brook and down the Carriage Road + Snapper trail is the way to go with novices. It is an easy hike.

The access road is marked and if you should not have a problem parking on it near the lodge. As was stated before, don't park in the turn around circle.

- darren

MadRiver said:
is the access road off of 118 well marked?

Yes it is. It's a right hand turn if you're coming from 112. But no matter how many times I've been there I still expect that access road to be at the height-of-land on 118 when I come from 112. It's not. It's over the crest and on the way down.

Thanks everyone for the information. I love Moosilauke, but usually go up the Beaver Brook Trial, which I believe will be too overwhelming for our young friends. It sounds like the Gorge Brook Trail with a descent of the Carriage Road and Snapper Trail will be far safer and more enjoyable.