Allen and Santinoni's(or one Tough Weekend)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajtiv

Reaction score
I started a new list this weekend the Adirondack 46.
I was decided to get the tuff stuff out of the way and decided to attempt Allen and the Santinoni's in a weekend. I actually thought of doing one long hike on Saturday and a short hike on Sunday since I have a 7-hour drive. I should have stayed with that plan.
I drove up Friday and it with traffic it was a 7.5 hours drive I arrived at the East river Allen TH at 8:30 pm.
I slept in the car and was up at 5:15 and on the trail at 5:45. I started the hike with another hiker Toby who has after Allen two more peaks to become a 46’er.
The hike in along the roads was boring and uneventful. The lakes and brooks and a couple grassy areas made it bearable. The turn off for the Allen Herd path is well marked and the herd path is maintained as well as the marked DEC trail leading to it. The trail becomes more overgrown and all markings are gone once you leave private land. This path is still very easy to follow and in great shape considering it is a herd path. The trail to skylight brook crossing is nice no views but still better than the road. The start of the climb of Allen Brook was not too bad but became steeper. The rocks are slippery; I read this once or twice but falling is believing. It was like walk on ice in some spots.
The hike up was tough in comparison to the long flat walk in. The ridge crossing was ok and I was happy to be sitting under the Allen Mountain sign having lunch at 11:30. I spent a half hour on top took the obligatory summit sign photo and some very hazy pictures from the view point down to the right of the summit. I have no idea what the pics. are of I will have to check a map. The hike down the brook was slow but at least I did not fall going down hill. I stopped at the opalescent for a filter break. It was getting very hot and muggy. The walk out from Allen is boring and seems to go on forever. I guess that is the appeal of this one. I got back to the car at 3:30 and decided to drive out to get a cold beverage. The thing I have to learn about the Adirondacks is there is no short trip for a drink or food. I would up in Long Lake and the Diner was closed until next week. I was left with Stewart Shop’s famous Chicken Burritos a ½ gallon of raspberry iced tea and a double scoop of ice cream oh yeah and air conditioning.
I dove back to the Bradley Pond TH at 6pm. I wanted to hike into the lean-to before the hike of the Santinoni’s on Sunday. I geared up and started out at 6:30 leaving plenty of time to get in. I had a scary feeling ½ up the road that I forgot my filter in my day pack and after a search realized I was correct. With the heat I knew I would need to filter at least twice and turned around and was stuck sleeping in the car a second night. Saturday night was hot and uncomfortable. I only got 3-4 hours sleep. I woke at 5:30 at started out at 6:15 the road walk was boring but turned off for a trail up to the lean-to a little wet and rocky on the way up but not too bad. I got to the Junction of the herd path by 8. I took the herd path around the lake and after 15 minutes it petered out. I would find on the way out I stayed too close to the lake and should have climbed up and away from the lake sooner.
I would up continuing through some blow down and rotten wood to the Panther Brook at an elevation of 2300 feet. I then hiked up along the brook to the JCT> of the herd path and continued on that. This took a little more than an hour and lost energy.
The climb along the brook was not too bad until you got above the brook where it got steep. I was getting tired I have already gone through 3 liters of water and my left foot was getting sore.
I got to the junction of the Panther Mtn. Herd path and needing an emotional boost decided to get Panther out of the way being the shortest and easiest summit of the three.
Panther was a quick hike up and I finally got a real rock summit view the first in the Park.
It was very nice although hazy. I went to the Geological marker and took a photo along with the summit photos.
I hiked back down to the path coming up from the Brook and continued straight ahead and would up at Times Square in a few minutes. After the much need lift in spirits and energy I continued on to Couchie. It is now 11:45am
There was a lot of down and some up, which seemed much longer than the mileage suggests. I got to the bog, which was not too wet as I assumed. I followed the path to the left and picked up boot tracks going off to the right through the bog and followed along.
After 20 minutes there was nothing but thick blow down and no path. I came back to the bog and re crossed. The path actually does not go to the left but straight across and starts back up the ridgeline. The path is pretty clean with some switchbacks and then towards the end gets very steep with a couple of big boulders to climb over for kicks. Finally I reach the summit sign. It took me two hours to get here. Wow what fun. Next time I do this is in the winter that is going to be the only repeat. Now the long mostly upward hike back to Times Square. My left leg is now hurting there is a rash or abrasion burn developing around my leg at the height of my boot cuff. I can figure out a way to bandage it assuming gauze or bandage will produce more chafing.
The hike back to Times Square was the toughest part of the whole weekend. All I could think about was that I had no energy to finish Santinoni and would have to come back.
This is the first time I did not summit as planned, very sobering indeed.
I got back to Times Square at exhausted and mentally beat. I hiked down the brook and filtered more water with 6 liters already gone. My left leg was really hurting at this point and I decided If I took any more breaks I would not get back up. I hiked straight out and the road walk was not comfortable.
I got to the car at 6:15, 12 hours after the start and no Santinoni Summit. I proceeded to get my boots and socks off to see a friction burn around my leg especially bad at my inside anklebone and at the outside of the leg. The outside of the leg had two areas that were raw and bleeding. I bandaged best I could and drove 6 hours home.
All said it was still a great learning experience I pushed myself and now know my limits; until nest time. I did have a great introduction to the Adirondacks with the complimentary slice of humble pie. I have a great respect for this new list and an even greater respect for all who are 46’ers.
Next week I head back with the kids for a week of camping and hiking. We will do Cascade and Porter Mt. Jo and who know what else. It is to relax and enjoy time with them no testing myself that trip.
I took the day off today since I could not contemplate putting on a pair of dress shoes.
Also I realize there is a lot of driving to get anywhere in the Adirondacks.
3 down 43 to go.
Guiness thanks for the advise for this one. The camp out Saturday night did not work out as I would have liked; If it did I am sure I would have gotten Santinoni.
I am not looking forward to going back for Santinoni.
Al
Pics

Last edited:
Nice TR Al, I feel your pain :) , it took me 2 tries to get the Santanonis also. At least you have Allen out of the way. I'm doing it in a few weeks to finish my 46.

Hi Al,

Great effort, welcome to the ADKs. After my Rainier trip the first week of August, my schedule opens up more and I'll be glad to wander the woods with you. The Dix range is calling. Just bring a few of those bagels along. In Western NY, we have not learned how to make them yet.

Nice report Sir, and welcome to the 'machine'. Doing the entire Sant. Range in one day is a serious undertaking. Many accomplish the feat, but do pay for it the next day. Silverback comes to mind as a recent example. Last summer, it took me 11 hrs. just to do Couch, so don't feel bad. Factor in doing Allen the day before, and you have nothing to hang your head for! Look at it this way, you've got two of the hardest out of the way, it's all downhill from here. I'm a procrastinator, so I did those two last.

Thanks for the simpathectic words. Even with a sore leg I had a great time, so much in fact I am leaving this Saturday and camping in the ADK's for the week with my kids.
I will try and coax them up street and nye, Cascade and Porter and hopefully one or two more day hikes.
How hard would be giant and Rocky Peak Ridge from Chapel pond?
I am also contemplating Phelps or Wright Algonquin and Iriquios? The last seeming to be the steepest and longest.

Ed I would love to tag along with you in your beloved ADK's. Heck if you have the desire The Dix's and Sewards would be great. I will definitely save the Dixs. I am going to the BBQ in August with the kids so I will see what they want to do then. I am hoping Mav's kids can persuade them to climb better than I.
See you up there.
Al

Hey Al, sorry to hear about your bad luck with Santanoni on Sunday. There is no reason for you to feel bad about your trip. You had a pretty big goal and accomplished a lot in two days. I had a tough time on the way back on that road, I guess I should try to get out and run more. I only live a couple of hours away from the mountains so if you need a partner on any of your trips let me know and I will see if I can make it if it’s on a weekend.

Nice to hear your report....We also just started the ADK's...and for the first time did not do what we set out to do because of having to carry a dog and bringing a friend that didn't get into the hiking as much as my children and I do....we are going back up this weekend to hopefully get a few more.

Where are you coming from? and do you hike with your kids? Maybe we'll see you out there someday. We come from NH and it took us 4 1/2 hours to get there....I'm in the mindset to go and do what I can while I'm there because of that long drive ...and yours is longer!!!

I come up from Long Island and will be going up on Saturday and camping at Rollins Pond through the 4TH of July week. I am bringing My daughter and son 8 and 6 respectively. The Sikes what are you hiking over the weekend maybe we can meet up. My children seem to hike better if there are other children around.
I was planning on Porter and Cascade, and Street And Nye.
Possibles are Phelps , Giant and Rocky Peak and maybe Wright, Algonquin, and Iriquios. The last maybe out of my childrens range.
I am reading the ADK High Peaks book trying to cull some appropriate hikes for us for the week. Probably 4 days worth and the other 4 as rest days.

Critter I will post on this site future hikes and you are more than welcome to join. The first weekend was agressive and I was uncomfortable posting, I didn't want to get flamed for what I was planning as the first of the ADKs.
Hopefully we will meet on the trails
This next week I planning and resting half the days so I can drive around and scope out trail heads Keene Valley and understand the in and outs of the ADKs.
Thanks see you out there
Al

I enjoyed your trip report very much.
It was an ambitious weekend to say the least. One of my friends took 4 trips to get all 3 Santanonis.
I swore to never set foot on Couchsachraga again!!!

masshysteria said:
Silverback comes to mind as a recent example. Last summer, it took me 11 hrs. just to do Couch, so don't feel bad. Factor in doing Allen the day before, and you have nothing to hang your head for! Look at it this way, you've got two of the hardest out of the way, it's all downhill from here. I'm a procrastinator, so I did those two last.

Yes, my son and I did day hike the Santas on the 22nd. Next day finished my 46 on Big Slide.

I can't imagine doing Allen one day and then trying to hike the Santas, especially in that heat! Dan and I hiked in near perfect weather, and the range still took almost 14 hours. The hike to Couch from Times Square is endless and it knocked the snot out of me. It was only the adrenaline rush of being so close to the 46, that got me to Santanoni and back to the trailhead.

Knowing what I know now, I would not day hike that entire range again. However, I will re-visit it. I thought it to be a pretty unique place in the High Peaks. Despite the pain, I enjoyed the hike (except Couch - for me, that was a one-night-stand) Santanoni has great views and there is nothing like Adirondack mud. Still trying to get some of that off of me a week and a half later.

You've given yourself one hell of an introduction to the Adirondack High Peaks. Welcome to our obsession!

As the others indicated ajtiv you did ok. I almost said well at least Santanoni has a marked trail and there is no bushwhack but alas that trail is long closed. You can tell how long it's been since I climbed it. I did each of those three times, once all three in a very long day. Again congrats on your accomplishment stay with it and you will get there.

wow! what a hike you had! good luck on your next endeavor.
thanks for sharing, and great pics.

Ajyiv - I enjoyed your TR. You got two... well, ONE long hike done already. Many people put off doing Allen because of it's rep as being tough (really not tough - just long).

It took me 4 tries to get all 3 Santanonis. Luckily, I got Couchy in winter, and don't have to repeat that one, but after finishing the 46, I'm starting to look forward to a challenge, so I might just do lowly Couchy again. I admire you for tackling Allen & the Santanoni range on the same weekend. My hike times seem similar to yours, so I can a relate to the long days. Doing Cascade, Porter, and Jo will be like a vacation. Just have fun up there. -ALG

"The mountains are calling and I must go."
-John Muir

All, great report. You made it seem like I was back hiking those peaks. I know your pain in not getting the entire Santa range in one shot. I had to go back too. A late start and helping out some lost souls on the trail meant i did not get all three peaks. At least you got Allen out of the way. I did this as a day hike, by myself, last summer. Its so long. I was talking to myself on the way out.