Mt. Frissell or Bear Mt., CT?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshco8

Reaction score
Northwest Connecticut hiking...

Debating between hiking up Mt. Frissell via Mt. Washington Rd. or doing the Bear Mt. loop via Rt 41/Under Mt. Trail. I was just wondering if I could get some opinions on which hike is more enjoyable?

Thanks,
Josh

I have a solution that I have done many times: do both! The hike up Mt. Frissell from Mt. Washington Road is actually pretty short, about 2 miles one way, really a very brief jaunt. I would suggest starting at the Undermountain Trail on Rte. 41, go up to the AT, turn right and go over Bear Mt., then down the steep north side. Now is the slightly tricky part. After the steep part, you then traverse across a slope at a much less steep grade and finally drop to a pretty flat section where you will come to a raised rock "bridge" over a swampy section (not so this time of year). Here there is a very distinct but unmarked trail on the left that goes to the Mt. Washington Road (past the AMC Northwest Cabin). You will know you missed this turn off if you continue on the AT and get to the Paradise Lane Junction.

Once at the Mt. Washington Road, take a right and quick left on the trail to Frissell. Shortly after you leave the road, you have to go left on the red blazed trail. You climb gradually then very steeply up over Round Mountain, a very pleasant, open, rocky summit on the way to Frissell. Then you go down a bit and very steeply up Frissell. Not many views from the top. But continue over the top and down a bit to the CT high point, also some very nice spots to sit on open ledges on the way there. From Undermountain Trailhead to this point is about 6 miles. If you want more you can keep going to the tri state marker (NY, CT, MA) in another 1/3 mile, and then to Mt. Brace (another mile and a half). But remember you will have to go back!

On the way back, retrace your steps, but when you get back to the AT, you can go left and then right on Paradise Lane back to the Undermountain trail, 1 mile from route 41 (avoiding going back over Bear Mt. again).

All and all about a 12-13 mile hike, without the added distance to the tristate marker or Mt. Brace.

Any more questions, please ask!

Lovetohike's suggestion is a really good one. It is pretty easy to add on Frissell once you are on Bear.

If you are looking for a shorter hike, but still want to grab both mountains, you could park on Mt. Washington road and do them as two out and backs. This would save you a lot of elevation gain and hiking miles.

I did these two with a bushwhack from bear straight to the AMC hut. From the top of bear follow a mag heading of 320 and it will dump you out right at the hut. This will save some mileage, but may be harder in the long run. You could also look for the "BEELINE" trail off bear, but I have never been able to find it. Be careful coming off bear, as the terrain is quite steep.

On the way back, if you head south on mt. washington road you will find a trailhead on the left. This trail is a straight shot back to the undermountain trail, and is a quick hike for getting back.

I highly recommend this hike, it has variety, views and makes for a full day.

Here is some really good Beta:
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2652

G'luck!

-percious

Slight correction of Percious' info. Heading back from Frissell and Round Mt., when you get to Mt. Washington Road, instead of taking the immediate left and go past the AMC cabin over to the AT and then left and a pretty quick right on Paradise Lane, you could keep going south on the road a ways and take a trail/old dirt road to the left. This takes you to the AT, about 3/4 mile south of Bear summit and 1/4 mile north of Undermountain Trail junction. I don't think this route is as nice as going back to the AT north of Bear and going on Paradise lane, or, if you have the energy, going back over Bear one more time.

There was a canister of sorts (a metal box, I think) atop Frissell when I was there a few years ago. Just a benchmark (at most; I wouldn't swear to even that) at the Connecticut high point by a cairn.

Also, "watch out for snakes." That area is supposed to be one of the places where there are lots of rattlers.

The last time I was on the old road south of Bear it was like a swamp. Large, deep puddles that had that oily look to them. They didn't look like they ever dry up.

The trail to the north of the mountain is much nicer. In fact, it's one of the best maintained non-blazed trails I have ever seen.