Goose Eye 7/9 via Wright trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SherpaKroto

Reaction score
No Reading, MA Avatar: Crater Rim, Mt Rainier, 8/4
I plan to be at the trailhead at 9:00 (leaving from Oxford, ME) and will start shortly after that. I've done Goose Eye many times, though not in 10 years, and only from the Success Pond Road side, so this will be a new one for me. For this trip we will ascend the Wright Trail, follow the advice to take the North Fork up, and South Fork down. I also plan to follow my own advice and stop in at the Sunday River Brewery for post hike hydration.

I should be able to figure out how to get to the trailhead by next weekend :eek:. If you'd like to join me and a few others, post here, PM, eMail me (from this website), or just be there and introduce yourself! Goose Eye was my first peak ever, so it holds a special place in my heart...

Last edited:
Wright Trail

North fork up (steep and wooded) and South fork down (ledgy wth lots of views) is definitely the easier way to do the Wright Trail although I'd be careful about potential thunderstorms on the trip down.
AMC guide directions to the trailhead are very good and the walk in along the brook is better than many.

Have a good time

Bill,
Thanks - knowing the Maine AMC Guide directions are good is helpful. I've been out a lot lately so have only focused on the trip of the week. I will get to read my Guide this weekend. I know the general area well, so shouldn't have much trouble finding the trailhead. Looking forward to this hike - it's like seeing an old friend after many years.

Wish I could join you on this one....Goose Eye is on my "Must Do Again" list. If it stays hot like this you'll be able to cool yourself off in the many swimming holes along Goose Eye Stream!

Have a great time!!
-MEB

You will like this jaunt for sure, SK...beautiful hike along/in the wide rock slabs of the creek, and coming down, a nice long walk with great views along the bare ridge before you descend via the south branch of the trail...
And, if it's as hot as it's been, definitely consider a dunk in the great swimming hole at Frenchman's Falls. Keep a lookout on the left as you drive south away from the trailhead...maybe a mile or so down...find a shoulder pulloff on the left, and the falls/hole are behind you, upstream a short ways...this is a little over 1/2 mile north of the bridge over the creek, in case you want to check it out on the way up.. A tremendous spot. Enjoy!

Pat and I may be in. The Wright Trail's on my must-have list, though we did do Goose Eye in early June via Success Pond Road. We summited in a blast of fog and wind, just as that welcome cold front blew through. It was so bad we gave up on doing the loop.

That day's a big get-together with all my old friends from college, so I'll be sitting by the grill with a cold beer all day (as opposed to just after the hike). I hope you have great weather!

Sherp: I'm there. I think I'll drive up in the Bug rather than carpool with ya. Can you PM me directions again??? :D

Sherpa, I hope you don't get blown of the mountain, the way we almost did (nice weather, but ferocious winds). Wish I could join you. Have a great hike!

Dick

As Sherpa K knows, I'll be there with my friend Tom, driving down from the Rangeley area. Will be checking in with Audrey and Pat, to see if they want to carpool.

I did this awesome hike last year and am looking forward to doing it again. Glad the plan is to go up the North Fork and down the South. I went up the South Fork last time, simply because I didn't see the North Fork. Taking the loop in the other direction will give me a different perspective.

By the way, I agree with an earlier poster that the AMC Guide directions are very good. There were also some "Wright Trail" paper signs posted at turnoffs last year. Not sure if they are still there, though.

Looking forward to meeting everyone! Marty