Google Earth

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spencer

Reaction score
Maine Avatar: We could use some snow around here
Go and get it. Call in sick and play with it for the next few days. you won't be sorry.

It's a desktop application that you download and then surf the world with. I think it was just released today (although I may just be behind a bit) and is the successor to Keyhole. Very cool.

I'm looking at Owl's Head now. Of course it is still subject to the same idiosyncracies of all spatial data, but it allows you to look at it all from a different perspective.

spencer

Google maps

I've personally been having a blast with maps.google.com. I was able to locate current and new appartments, my folks place, grand-parent's place, where my dad works, etc.

It's awesome to see the entire neighborhood all in one image! The park I run in looks so small from outer space ;)

Seeing "La Ronde" (amusement park) in Montreal was especially cool.

While searching for Kilimanjaro, I spotted some forest fires in Africa this morning.

There was a story a couple of months earlier on slashdot.org that showed a picture of a B2 slealth bomber...which was rather controversial, since google should modify the images to remove sensitive information that could compromise security.

Can you post a screenshot of Owl's head on this thread? I'd be curious to see what it looks like!

Fish

I was able to download Google Earth at home at around 6:30am this morning. Should I do it at work? Hmmmm...

-Dr. Wu

Nice pics spencer! It looks like you might have hit your "Prt Scrn" button on your keyboard to save the pics you posted? You can also go to File-> Save Image, to save just the picture and not have the control features on there. :)

Ridgerunner,

thanks for the suggestion of WorldWind. I've been playing with that some now and I think it's even better than Earth. Not surprisingly, the interface is better on teh commercial one (Google) but the data is better on the government one (WorldwWind).

it's more useful to be able to use the DOQs and DRGs and Landsat data.

spencer

So do all you folks have broadband connections (minimum requirement, according to the site), or can you actually get by with a dial-up?

My PC at work has a high-speed connection, but Windows 98 isn't supposed to cut it.

I did try to download it at home, but after about ten minutes I noticed that my connection wasn't fast enough so I canceled it. If it will work with a dial-up, I'll try again and wait it out.

The Pemi certainly looks volcanic in origin on that first picture.

Last edited: